Leicester v Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Someone like that will spend a lot of time on the bench imo.
Flat-tracking = vs lesser oppo...?

If we can't depend on our players against lesser teams then what use are they to us at all?

Not that I'm suggesting that equates to Son...

Also, lesser teams park the bus against us; something that both Vardy & Lukaku are proven to struggle with.

Surely all this reasoning should also apply to needing a new CM then.
Surely our players should cope etc etc

The point is that sometimes they don’t cope, and in games like Wolves the other week I would love to bring someone on can give us some energy as a striker rather than sit there waiting for 0-3 to become 4-3.

There is a reason that option is not Llorente and I don’t mean Son, I mean a specific back up striker that we are prepared to play.

If Vardy has the personality of Kane, you’d all be up for it. It could be anyone, I’m not fussed to be honest, just someone in the style of Robbie Keane etc not Llorente or Janssen.

Had we been 1-0 up last night when Southampton started piling on the pressure at the end, would you have been happier to bring on Llorente, some fantasy Pirlo figure you’re all dreaming of, or Jamie Vardy?

----------------------Lloris--------------------
--------Toby-------Foyth-------Jan--------
Aurier----Winks----Sissoko----Davies
-------------Eriksen---Dele-----------------
----------------------Kane---------------------

Are they really so good we need to go 3 at the back against them?
I'm not sure they are. I like the formation though anyways.

Defensively, we are a shambles at the minute. I'm going for a 3 at the back for us, not them.

Southampton had 18 shots or something silly against us.

I think that's more to do with the fact that Winks and Dier was our midfield 2 - one is a midfielder who shouldn't be playing in a midfield 2 (Winks) and the other is proving that he can't seem to play without Dembele in a midfield 2 (Dier)

If we went to a midfield 3 and added Dele in there and perhaps Sissoko, we'll stop giving teams as many chances as we are.

I wouldn't be against 3 at the back though. I just don't think we'll risk one of Toby/Vert going into our final CL game knowing that if one DOES get injured, we'll have to play Dier there and that worries me.

I think that's more to do with the fact that Winks and Dier was our midfield 2 - one is a midfielder who shouldn't be playing in a midfield 2 (Winks) and the other is proving that he can't seem to play without Dembele in a midfield 2 (Dier)

If we went to a midfield 3 and added Dele in there and perhaps Sissoko, we'll stop giving teams as many chances as we are.

I wouldn't be against 3 at the back though. I just don't think we'll risk one of Toby/Vert going into our final CL game knowing that if one DOES get injured, we'll have to play Dier there and that worries me.
Not even thinking about CL tbh. But that is a good point.

Expect someone important to be rested with Barcelona on tuesday. As Son is suspended and Dele did not start yesterday then Eriksen or Kane maybe on the Bench. Verts still being eased back and needed Tuesday and so Foyth keeps his place. Expect Aurier, Davies and Sissoko to return. Not sure whether Winks or Dier will miss out.
Lloris, Aurier Foyth Alderweireld Davies Sissoko Dier or Winks Dele, Son Moura Eriksen or Kane.
Will be difficult and fixtures coming thick and fast but at least Leicester playing their 3rd match in a week as well. As we lost this fixture last season, think we will avoid a defeat but our first draw must come sometime and this could be the match.

Surely all this reasoning should also apply to needing a new CM then.
Surely our players should cope etc etc

The point is that sometimes they don’t cope, and in games like Wolves the other week I would love to bring someone on can give us some energy as a striker rather than sit there waiting for 0-3 to become 4-3.

There is a reason that option is not Llorente and I don’t mean Son, I mean a specific back up striker that we are prepared to play.

Can we do with upgrading Llorente (and Jansen)? ...Of course.

We already know that the market and the amount of playing time on offer dictates that we buy either a) 'Jansen'-profile (young and unproven) or b) 'Llorent'-profile (vet with track record). In the next year or two could Vardy be a viable purchase as per the latter criteria? ...Possibly (Lukaku on the other hand isn't likely). Personally, I tend to favour option a).

In the meantime, I tend to look at our attacking depth holistically...

Kane, Son, Deli, Lucas, Eriksen, Lamella = 6 (without considering Llorent & GKN)

We play 4 or 3 attacking players depending on formation.

Fundamentally, I mentioned Son on the basis of what we currently have. We have good AM options so we could balance his game-time for this role if it is to specifically become part of his job description (You also mentioned JD... I think there are parallels between them, but that's of minor significance here).

For one reason or another, we don't play on the proverbial 'flat-track' very often. Meanwhile, both Soldado & Llorente suggest we don't create for strikers of their respective ilk. Therefor, all things considered if possible, I'd prefer to max-out the attacking capacity of our match-day squad with skill and guile rather than comparatively 1-dimensional traits like pace and physicality (Both Son & Lamela often prove decisive for us off the bench in these kind of circumstances you describe below).

If Vardy has the personality of Kane, you’d all be up for it. It could be anyone, I’m not fussed to be honest, just someone in the style of Robbie Keane etc not Llorente or Janssen.

Had we been 1-0 up last night when Southampton started piling on the pressure at the end, would you have been happier to bring on Llorente, some fantasy Pirlo figure you’re all dreaming of, or Jamie Vardy?

Mate, chill with the "you're all" crap... There's only one of me and I haven't suggested any of that.

(FWIW, I have the impression we're similar in wanting our un-used players to shape our transfer business.)

...For what it's worth though, I'm not sure Vardy would have helped stem the tide. With Harry already available to provide an 'outball' (and the supporting pace of Sonny or Lucas) in those circumstances, I'd have liked a Dembele-esque cameo in the name of ball retention and 'steadying'.

In the case of the actual S'oton game, sadly with Dier dropped back to CB and Sissoko already subbed on (and MD & VW crocked) all Poch had left to bulk us up a bit was Skip or Llorente. In a different game Poch likely brings Lamela for Lucas and Sissoko comes on later; thus sustaining our attacking impetus and presence further up the field for a little longer.

Last edited:
Evening lads.
Leicester fan in peace.
Firstly, before I talk football I’d like to say thank you to your fan base for how you paid tribute to Vichai, both at Wembley and amongst your fans who put very nice things on social media, I also saw a lot of spurs scarfes down at the KP. Very classy.

Anyway, Saturday should be an interesting one. Not much positivity amongst our fan base, many don’t believe in Puel and many believe we will be battered here. RE Vardy he doesn’t look like he’ll be starting at least, he’s undergoing surgery and Maguire is also out. Evans is also inured so it’s very likely we will start with Morgan and Soyüncu at the back :/. It did look Puel wanted to rest some of our players last night ahead of Saturday so we will see if that pays dividends. Son really scares me, feel like hell exploit our high full backs. Anyway should be a good one under the lights. You seem to be very unlucky with these Saturday night fixtures

My line up for this match:

Lloris
Aurier, Toby, Foyth, Rose
Sissoko, Dier, Winks
Lucas, Kane, Son

I want Vertonghen, Eriksen and Dele to rest for the Tuesday's match against Barça. This is a very tough match. It is always tough to win at KP Stadium. I predicte a 0-1 win with a Kane goal.

Leicester like to play a high defensive line ... if they try that against two from Son / Lamela / Moura we will cut them to pieces (maybe start all three and rest Kane?)

We can play with an extra defender if needed as we will have plenty in attack using FB's and AM's ... just depends who's fit and who's rested for Barca ....

Leicester won't take risks with injured players so expect a few to miss out for them .... if we go in with the right attitude this should be another good away day .....

Regarding strikers, I still think it's a slight shame we were not able to get Iheanacho from City. Reckon he could be far more useful than Llorente, whose strengths we never seem to play to. Could we put in any less crosses soon as he steps on the pitch!
:pochrolleyes:

Think this game will be tricky.
Yeah a 6-1 massacre was great but these are not Stoke with the traditional 4 nil battering. Leicester have caused us problems in recent years and that 6-1 was more a freak than the norm.

Would be nice for Kane to keep his run against them going and rattle in a goal or 2, and then who knows.

My line up for this match:

Lloris
Aurier, Toby, Foyth, Rose
Sissoko, Dier, Winks
Lucas, Kane, Son

I want Vertonghen, Eriksen and Dele to rest for the Tuesday's match against Barça. This is a very tough match. It is always tough to win at KP Stadium. I predicte a 0-1 win with a Kane goal.
Surely Vertonghen needs some game time?

Back
Top Bottom