Leicester (a) 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
Dudes that was rattle shaking 90mins of calmness . Poch played is at anothet level today and made Leicester look mid zone.
Lloiris 8
Full backs both 6
Central defenders 8
Sissoko Dier 6
Winks 5
Moura 6
Son 9
Alli 9

Selection

I have no problem with Kane being rested at all, I think it should happen more often for his sake, and us as a team keeping him fresher, and we always seem to play OK when he is, I don’t think it hurts us to change the dynamics occasionally and give the opposition a different set of problems than one they’ve been expecting all week. My only question would be that it would have made more sense to try to not rest Kane and Eriksen (our two most productive players) at the same time, and maybe Kane could have been rested for the Southampton game?

Structure

We started with the 4312 Diamond, with Dier at the base, and Alli at the tip. The pundits at half time seemed to suggest we switched to a 433 at some point in the first half, if so, I didn’t figure it, I know there was fluidity there, as always, and they all (Son, Moura, Alli) all popped up in each other’s spaces at various times, but it always seemed to default back to that 4312 diamond to me? Until the subs anyway…

The Game

I quite like Puel, think he got a raw deal at Southampton, and has had to cope with a Leicester in transition, losing some good players etc, and whenever I’ve seen them lately, they seem to be playing OK, but I have no idea what he was trying to do tonight, it was just tactically really limp, neither one thing or the other, didn’t get about us and didn’t really park a bus either, and we really didn’t have to be anywhere close to our best to win this. And it’s fair to say we weren’t. We weren’t bad either, we went through much of the right motions, and it was nice to breeze into a two goal lead without really breaking a sweat, and defensively we were solid enough, but if there’s a concern it’s that we actually created so little of tangible quality chances against such a feeble resistance. In the end we’ve scored with our only two shots on target, one of those was probably offside, and Alli, who had a very good game generally, was possibly guilty of fucking about a couple of times instead of just getting a shot off, if Sissoko didn’t have the technique of a baby elephant we might have been clean through a couple of times, and generally if people had made better decisions we might have created a little more. Neither full back really contributed enough either.

Our biggest problems continue to be our midfield, that just isn’t driving us properly. It’s not creating enough, setting tempo, transitioning smoothly. I like the CM3 system we have played lately, just wish we had better components in it.

Sissoko, had a pretty poor game, against such a passive opposition he saw very little of the ball (completed a pitiful 23 passes from 35 attempted, giving the ball away 35% and it’s not like he was on it much or attempting anything clever) in this CM3 system he’s got to provide some thrust in transition as well as some ballast. It’s not like this was Cheslea and we were defensively under the cosh for most of this game.

Got to say, I was a little disappointed by Winks too if I’m honest. He was metronomic, neat and tidy and did see a lot more of the ball than Sissoko (67/74 90%) and he did get about, but, again, against such little resistance, in this CM3 system I would like to see him providing a little more ambition and incision with his passing.

Alli had a decent knock, providing the fulcrum that his remit required and most good things hubbed through him. Needs to be a little more clinical in the box sometimes and fuck around a little less though. Son was close to his effervescent liveliest, and scored an absolute beauty, then created the second for Alli.

As is often the case, Poch’s subs utterly baffled me. They baffled me because it seems counter intuitive to rest two important players and then risk them getting injured in a game that’s effectively over, it baffled me because the game just didn’t need Eriksen playing as a LM at that stage, if you are going to put him on, just swap out Alli, and why a CF who’s slower on the counter than Moura and Son, and at that point stifling and countering was what we were doing, which you would think would suit at least one of Son and Moura. I would have been tempted to swap Alli for Skip, go 433, push Sissoko up into the front three to charge at tired legs and have Skipp sitting to the right of Dier helping him mop up and counter. As it was, Poch's subs changed us to a 4411 and it was our worst phase of the game.

In the end this was a pretty facile win, about as facile as the PL gets to be honest, but it's a little concerning that a couple of years ago we'd have smashed such a weak opponent. Tonight we scored with our only two shots on target, one a worldy, one offside.

Individual

Lloris - not loads to do, but did it fine.

Aurier – They got behind him a couple of times early on, and he didn’t contribute enough offensively. Meh.

TA – Decent game.

Vertonghen – Decent game

Davies – (Edit) OK game. Good ball in build up to second goal. Still we needed a bit more from both FB's.

Dier – Solid enough game, if he’s got to play in midfield then this simplified central holding role is a more bearable one, plays to his limitations, he just has to sit, mop up, water carry, and allow the two either side to play football and provide the thrust. Unfortunately the two today didn’t really do it enough.

Sissoko – Apart from a couple of good covering tackles early on, this was a pretty tepid performance and didn’t contribute enough against such an insipid opponent. 23/35 passes and 12 of them were backwards.

Winks – Did get through plenty of the ball, was metronomic enough, but I’d like a little more creative input from him. Got to be a little bit stronger without the ball too at times.

Alli – Good game, most things hubbed through him, but didn’t actually create much in terms of real quality chances. There were a couple of times when a killer pass was on (one of the few times Winks had made a run and got into the box) and he didn’t play it. Took his goal well, but was offside.

Son – Such an enigmatic player, almost like he has a twin, one of them capable of scintilating things and the other of infuriating bumbling. Tonight we got the good twin. Good game, also worked harder without the ball.

Moura – Pffftt…OK, I still am a bit confused as to why he played the ball to Son for that second goal, it was a nice pass, but surely if he carries it two yards and then releases Alli, he’s clean through? He flitted about as ever, couple of decent moments, but not enough of real substance really.

Damning with faint praise yet again you dull tedious twat. Give it a fucking rest. Bored of your negative shit and am off to bin vote you because...well...reasons.

Simple answer NO - these are not my words but Poch's "no players that we were interested in signing were available" "we looked at many players but none were better (than what we had)"

Who would you have signed? and who would you have dropped out of the squad?

Sanchez? Morata? Keane? Carrillo? Sigurdsson? Bakayoko? Klassen? .... that's about 300m pissed away ....

What Poch actually said was "we have competed on a similar sized budget to Leicester" however going forward the 800m spent on a new stadium will put our income about 150m a year ahead of Leicester from 2019 .... which is probably why Poch signed a six year contract .... have patience we're six years into a ten year plan, and we're already well ahead of where we thought we'd be ....
No, no, no. We should have shown ambition & spent over £100 million on lads that would not have improved us.
And don’t you dare mention patience. It doesn’t exist.
We want it all.
And we want it now.
Fucking old school fans.
Piss off.

No, no, no. We should have shown ambition & spent over £100 million on lads that would not have improved us.
We want it all.
And we want it now.
Fucking old school fans.
Piss off.
Nobody ever said spend £100million on players who won't improve us though.
What I, others on here,and pretty much the whole football world failed to understand is how we could not find a single player that would improve us. It's the first time in modern history any top flight club has had this problem.
Surely the players were there, we just wouldn't spend the fucking money to get them.
This myth that I just want us to spend money on shit is just bollocks tbh.

Damning with faint praise yet again you dull tedious twat. Give it a fucking rest. Bored of your negative shit and am off to bin vote you because...well...reasons.
Hey bro the dude is only given an opinion.
Some good some bad , l dont agree with everything but its interesting to debate more in depth.
Dont silence if you dont agree brother as that is what those bad boy sausage eaters did.
COYS

We want it all.
And we want it now.
Fucking old school fans.
Piss off.
See your point brother but no doubt a correct signing/s may make us challenge for the title not top 4.
Dont shoot the messenger thats what all media guys keep saying brother . Here they say we are so near but so far .
When l sledge race every year l upgrade 1 dog to keep me in with a chance .
Great respect my man

Last edited:
What I, others on here,and pretty much the whole football world failed to understand is how we could not find a single player that would improve us. It's the first time in modern history any top flight club has had this problem.
Surely the players were there, we just wouldn't spend the fucking money to get them.
Why is that down to the board? Poch himself has said that there was nothing doing that would improve our first XI. So it’s a scouting issue if anything. I like you John (not that you give fuck anyway). But sometimes you go way overboard in your hatred of the board. Who do YOU think we should get in to turn us Into winners? Would you be willing to say that? Would you be prepared to pipe down if we bought Messi or Ronaldo and still ended up in a runners up position?
This is the problem some of us have with your posts.
You just want big signings for lots of money.

And if a “Pogba” signed for £100 million you’d still complain that we weren’t throwing our weight around enough. That is where your passion becomes boredom. Who do you think we should sign? Serious question from someone who is open minded.

See your point brother but no doubt a correct signing/s may make us challenge for the title not top 4.
Dont shoot the messenger thats what all media guys keep saying brother . Here they say we are so near but so far .
When l sledge race every year l upgrade 1 dog to keep me in with a chance .
Great respect my man
Who do you think we can sign who turns us into champions? Serious question brother.

Who do you think we can sign who turns us into champions? Serious question brother.
Dude I'm no expert , hockey is where l come from. Just makes sense to me man that you can add quality if you're clever.
Off my head l hate to say that the little one Woolworths south American signed and Mahraz (50m) but worth it .
I think we would be better with them bro especially in champs league but l love this team so its not an issue just an opinion.
Just me rednecking brother.

Dude I'm no expert , hockey is where l come from. Just makes sense to me man that you can add quality if you're clever.
Off my head l hate to say that the little one Woolworths south American signed and Mahraz (50m) but worth it .
I think we would be better with them bro especially in champs league but l love this team so its not an issue just an opinion.
Just me rednecking brother.
Who do you reckon improves us? Want some names fella. You reckon we should outbid arsefor torreira? Or outbid city in a bidding war for mahrez? We could offer £75 million for each of them, still get blown out of the water & have the wolves out to savage the board. It’s a no win. Pay too much for average lads, who want huge wedge & will fuck off when they “outgrow” us.
Fuck that.

we could not find a single player that would improve us. It's the first time in modern history any top flight club has had this problem.

I think this is the crux of the issue. I very much doubt what you have said here is true. However, we are the first to be “brave” enough to admit it and risk the ire of the fans and mocking of the media by actually not signing players for the sake of it.

I think this is the crux of the issue. I very much doubt what you have said here is true. However, we are the first to be “brave” enough to admit it and risk the ire of the fans and mocking of the media by actually not signing players for the sake of it.
You make it sound like the club is on a moral crusade mate.
If it didn't coincide with the record breaking bonus for our already highest paid chairman in England, the announcement of the highest average season ticket prices in the history of world football, and the announcement of our illustrious owner sailing up the Thames in his latest 150million superyacht..... I'd be with you all the way.

You make it sound like the club is on a moral crusade mate.
If it didn't coincide with the record breaking bonus for our already highest paid chairman in England, the announcement of the highest average season ticket prices in the history of world football, and the announcement of our illustrious owner sailing up the Thames in his latest 150million superyacht..... I'd be with you all the way.

But John, it also coincided with a new record contract for Kane, Poch and recently Dele.

Most key players have been given upgraded deals the last year.

Why are you so selective with your critique?

For me, those three on long term deals trumps signing Grealish or Martial or Ndombele by infinity.

But don’t tell me, those contracts are just to bump up their price when they all leave next year looking for trophies because all Spurs care about is top 4 and money and yachts etc etc etc......

I mean, do you actually believe this, or are you just typing on auto pilot these days

Hey bro the dude is only given an opinion.
Some good some bad , l dont agree with everything but its interesting to debate more in depth.
Dont silence if you dont agree brother as that is what those bad boy sausage eaters did.
COYS

Hey 'bro' I'm only giving my opinion which is that I find the OP pretentious and way to negative...
As for the Nazi comparison on this forum of all forums? I literally can't believe your insensitivity and ignorance. Twat

Mr Ginolaflair
Your not man, your threatening , rude and bitter brother and want to ban any cross opinion you dont agree with man.
Stop being a douchbag and no more jackjumping . Feel air feel peace dude.

"It's the first time in modern history any top flight club has had this problem".

What problem do you have with Spurs being 3rd in the table?

Back
Top Bottom