Leeds (A) FA Cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Friedel - 6 - Slow off his line but generally had little chance with the goals and made one good save

Naughton - 5 - Looked lost, needed someone telling him what to do
Caulker - 5 - Really struggled to control the defence
Vertonghen - 5 - Got done a number of times
Assou-Ekotto - 6 - More solid than the rest, should have had an assist

Huddlestone - 5.5 - Good pieces of skill but pretty slow and anonymous
Parker - 6 - He was trying to do more things than he could do

Lennon - 5 - Some decent runs, no end product
Sigurdsson - 4 - Missed good opportunities, poor reaction when subbed
Bale - 6 - Final ball was way off but did okay apart from that

Dempsey - 6 - Okay, not a striker

Subs:
Dembele - 6 - Tried to get into the game but contained by Leeds
Obika - 5 - Not on the same wavelength
Walker - 5 - Wasn't significantly better than Naughton

I mostly agree above, but I'd add a half point to BAE and Lennon while giving our CMs 8 pts total, for them to split as they choose.

Edit: and I'd take a half point away from Bale for being petulant and disinterested.

BAE was my man of the match, odd as it sounds.

Friedel - 5.5 - Lloris wouldn't have conceded the opener

Naughton - 5.5
Caulker - 5
Vertonghen - 5.5
Assou - 6.5

Parker - 5
Thudd - 4.5

Lennon - 5.5
Siggy - 5
Bale - 6.5

Dempsey - 6.5

Dembele - 5
Obika - 5
Walker - 6

Friedel - 5 - completely out of sync with defence.

Naughton - 4 awful defending, even worse with the ball.
Caulker - 5 both he and Jan were directly involved in both goals against some very mediocre CF's.
Vertonghen - 5
Assou - 6 alright, just didn't do anything to help up tip the game. Needs more games.

Parker - 5 - worked hard, but consistently makes the wrong decisions. Passes when he should put his foot on it, puts foot on it when he should pass, presses when he should hold, etc. Poor positioning.
Thudd - 4 - not only is he slower than ever, he doesn't even read play against a really poor opposition. Consistently in the wrong positions in every aspect of play.
Siggy - 4 - all over the play, no clue where to be and when, no clue of what to do with the ball.

Lennon - 5.5 - tried a lot but in the end was easily contained.
Bale - 6 - needs to be forced to watch the game over and over again. He is so good and yet two teenage fullbacks took the piss out of him. Embarrasing by his standards.

Dempsey - 5.5 - well taken goal, rest of it very average. Clearly not suited to this role despite my hopes.

Dembele - 5 - nothing to mention.
Obika - 4 - comically awful, I felt bad for him. He struggled on loan in L2 and didn't suprise here.
Walker - 5 - dymanic but little quality at all.

AVB - 4 -
Clearly motivation was an issue. He has to deal with that. This is England, the FA cup isn't just any exercise tournament. Yeah, it's many games a year. Deal with it.

I doubt Sexy André will sleep tightly the next couple of days after witnessing just how dysfunctional our midfield three was. They were simply god awful and made Michael Brown look like Dave Mackay. We lost every single 2nd ball I can remember. Crosses cleared, goal kicks cleared, balls breaking from tackles, stray passes, deflected clearences, you name it - it all went to Leeds players. That is clearly an issue of movement patterns, of understanding which spaces to move into and when. It was almost as if they were decided upon doing the wrong thing consistently - e.g. when Leeds moved the ball quickly to Diouf all 3 of them was caught upfield, when we moved the ball to Dempsey all 3 of them were lumbering in front of the defence etc.

How the hell AVB cannot have noticed that lack of movement in training, well that's some riddle.

Back
Top Bottom