Ledley King Operation shock

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is in a couple of places

Tottenham defender Ledley King is facing a further knee operation in the summer as he looks to prolong his White Hart Lane career.

The 31-year-old has been hampered by chronic problems with his knees in recent years, with the problem recently exacerbated after a training ground collision with a youth-team goalkeeper.

Spurs manager Harry Redknapp confirmed the centre-back has been battling through the pain barrier since suffering the additional setback two months ago.

King's last start came in the 1-0 defeat by QPR at Loftus Road on 21st April and he has not been called into action for the club's last three Premier League outings.

He could feature in Sunday's home finale against Fulham, where Spurs need a victory to secure a top-four finish and the promise of UEFA Champions League football.

And Redknapp is keen for the former England international to be rewarded for his loyalty to the North London outfit amid his latest battle for fitness.

He told The Times: "For the sake of the club and the team, he has tried to play on, but he has been playing in pain and his movement's not been as good.

"Hopefully, we'll get his knee cleared out in the summer and he will be right again.

"I'm sure the chairman (Daniel Levy) respects everything he has done for the club and we'd love to keep him around."

Three things...

1 - I really hope he doesn't completely cripple himself for the sake of a couple more seasons (40 odd games max)

2 - As well as possibly suffering a "dip in form" I hope this has more to do with his recent form (Norwich!) than anything else.

3 - Re loyalty. This bloke has pretty much put himself in a wheelchair in his future years for the sake of our club and probably about 100 appearances over the last couple of years - I don't think anybody should ever lose sight of that, and I think it's why lots hope he retires sooner than later

eddietrading-places-p12.jpg

If we get CL, I'd be happy to just name him in the cup squads. We need someone in to start to take the mantle from Ledleypreferably this transfer window, before he suddenly retires and we're in the shit. Were far too reliant on his form and fitness (which seem to go hand in hand)

I hope no-one misinterprets this as a dig, King is my favorite player and I love him for what he has done for us. I just want him to be remembered for how good he is now, not how good he was.

I do the same thing every season but every season it becomes more and more likely that this could be Ledley's last at the Club.

If it is, I hope the game is won so that he gets the chance to come on and we send him off in the best possible style...of course, I really hope he is able to lead us out on the opening day of next season but just in case....

Going by this season I would say it's possibly his last. If does hang up the boots hope he turns to coaching our defence helping out Caulker and co.

Back
Top Bottom