Le Tottenham de Hotspurs vs FC Basel of Swiss

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Uhm, maybe it was because despite our players efforts, this wasnt actually a friendly, and he didnt want his team to concede a late goal?

Pardon, you may misunderstand me.

I was tackling the specific tackle. We were in overtime, the ball was in a very harmless area, the opposition player had his back to our goal, opposition defenders covered him (had Bale won the ball), as it was from behind it could have seen Bale sent off (had he taken the man first) - and finally, as it was from behind there was always the risk of an injury to him or the opposition player.

I think one of the biggest problems last night was our inability to cut out the supply line to Basel's right wing. I'm sure this has been said already (probably in this thread) and last night Salah was hailed as a real talent, I just think BAE and Vertonghen struggled and AVB will need to think how to nullify the threat in the away leg next week.

One word: complacency. When the draw was Basel, we were raving about an easy draw and how lucky we are not to be playing Chelski or or or. Oh, that little Swiss club will be easy". Oops. Some did remember them knocking out ManU, but still all in all I think the fans and team underestimated the challenge Basel can be.

Pardon, you may misunderstand me.

I was tackling the specific tackle. We were in overtime, the ball was in a very harmless area, the opposition player had his back to our goal, opposition defenders covered him (had Bale won the ball), as it was from behind it could have seen Bale sent off (had he taken the man first) - and finally, as it was from behind there was always the risk of an injury to him or the opposition player.

I got the feeling at the time that it was a combination of frustration at the way the team (and his self I'm sure) had played, also an element of fear that he was infact playing at left back and perhaps wasn't showing the discipline the role required at that stage of the game. If his opponent had turned him there would have been very little cover behind him.

Hello from Basel

Good luck for the 2nd leg may the better Team go through (we all know who that is after the 1st leg ) :)

we've a lot of fanatic fans over here and if you're going to the game in basel enjoy the Show ^^

The support was really good to be fair to you mate, and your team played pretty well too. A lot better than I was personally expecting.

It will be tough for us on Thursday and we will have to play much better. The positive for us is that I know that we can play a lot, lot better than we played on Thursday.

Like you say, may the best team win and all that.

:bae:

Back
Top Bottom