Languages in the Squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hey Guys, I haven't been around for a while (I moved back to Spain recently), but I wish you all the best. I have occasionally been following the funny antics, though. The West Ham and Gooners threads have made me laugh.

OK

Question:

I have noticed a clear language policy when it comes to recruitment. And I think it's smart.
Core of English speakers + players, with a Spanish speaking Coaching staff.
Core of French Speakers: Lloris, Sissoko, Aurier, Lucas
Belgian/Dutch : Vertonghen, Alderwiereld, Vorm, Dembele

It's much easier to integrate in a team and the team spirit, if you have people that you can communicate with already there, to help you get along with your new team-mates. And, hell, maybe also help translate stuff on the training ground while you're learning a new language.

I think we're doing that Well! COYS
Thoughts?

If you think Levy and Poch are recruiting players based on what language they speak then you're fucking bonkers, how much Engilsh do you think Son spoke before he got signed? There's a Spanish-speaking staff because the coach is spanish-speaking. The "core" of English-speakers is a result of the club being based in England. The "core" of French speakers is because so many good players come from French-speaking countries and because French is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world. Also Lucas is from Brazil, he probably speaks French from his time at PSG but it's not as though he's a native speaker or anything.

Back
Top Bottom