Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I sincerely hope KWP has a future with us, I know he has made a few mistakes but I see enough raw ability to think he needs more minutes. It's the only way he'll develop and learn:

(Seriously fuck that website... It's murder!)

What was the gist of the article mate?

....Either make him #2 or sell/loan IMO.

(Seriously fuck that website... It's murder!)

What was the gist of the article mate?

....Either make him #2 or sell/loan IMO.

Here you go pal, a cut and paste job for you:

Kyle Walker-Peters faces a crucial summer when it comes to his Tottenham Hotspur future.

The 22-year-old will sit down with Mauricio Pochettino next month to discuss the next step in his career with the North London club.

On the pitch Walker-Peters made 10 appearances for Spurs last season, which was one more than the previous campaign.

He appeared in every competition for Pochettino with the highlight his three assists in the 5-0 victory against Bournemouth at Wembley on Boxing Day.

However there were mixed fortunes for him in other games. Pochettino trusted him in the crucial final Champions League group stage game against Barcelona at the Camp Nou and Walker-Petersmade a big first half mistake, losing the ball and allowing Ousmane Dembele to run through and score.

The young defender recovered his composure and played well from then on, pulling off one crucial block to deny Philippe Coutinho in the second half before a Lucas Moura goal sent Spurs through to the knockout stages.

"That night, I learned things about myself I didn't even know," said the 22-year-old later in the season. "How can I put it? If I was at home and I thought about that happening I wouldn’t imagine myself recovering in the way I did.

"I ended up blocking a chance from Philippe Coutinho at 1-0 in the second half and had a decent game. I learned a lot in that match and the reaction I got from people was all positive.

"I give credit to all my team-mates, Danny Rose, Harry Kane, as soon as I made the mistake, they were straight over to me and saying ‘stay calm, you’ve got the ability, keep playing’. That’s what I did and their words helped me a lot."

Walker-Peters was given further chances in the FA Cup and Premier League from then on, but when it came to the big games Pochettino went with Kieran Trippier or while Serge Aurier was injured, young centre-back Juan Foyth was converted into a right-back and performed well on the whole until his reckless sending off at Bournemouth.

What the summer brings will be dependent on the outcome of a couple of things.

Firstly, both Trippier and Aurier have been linked with moves away from the club, the former seemingly interesting a host of clubs in Italy and Spain. Trippier has not played down the speculation either with his recent comments.

Then it all comes down to how Walker-Peters attacks pre-season and that appraisal with Pochettino.

The young full-back needs to convince the Argentine that if Trippier does move on then he and Aurier can be trusted to fill the two spaces left.

If not then Pochettino needs to help Walker-Peters develop by heading out on a loan move to either another Premier League side or a Championship outfit.

The young defender needs matches, otherwise like Josh Onomah and Cameron Carter-Vickers, his progress will stagnate.

His meeting with Pochettino could well prove to be a defining moment in his Tottenham career.

he can only develop if he plays, can Poch risk top 4 to let him develop ? he needs to play either here or on loan in the Championship

Big season young man, if you can't get ahead of the munchkin then there's little hope for you. Pin a picture of him on the back of your bedroom door and sharpen your darts.

Kill!

Should have had that mentality 4 years ago. Be wasting his time if he stays another year here. Already behind Foyth and looks like we'll be stuck with Trippier and Aurier.

Big season young man, if you can't get ahead of the munchkin then there's little hope for you. Pin a picture of him on the back of your bedroom door and sharpen your darts.

Kill!

Excellent tomsee him at least saying this. It's a competitive squad and KWP needs to see that in our team there really is an opening at RB area. He is inna similar position to Winks in that respect after Dembele looked to move on. Winksy for me had a year to prove he was the guy to step up and o think Walker-Peters now has to do the same of find his future elsewhere. It's a team game but it's dog eat dog. He clearly has the raw ability required to become a fine fullback, plus he is Spurs so he deserves another year to show he can be the guy.

Big year for Kyle and even though he's made a few mistakes I really do like certain things I've seen from him. One year to make it as a player at Spurs, I honestly would be gutted to see him leave this year and I don't think he will be allowed to.

Should have had that mentality 4 years ago. Be wasting his time if he stays another year here. Already behind Foyth and looks like we'll be stuck with Trippier and Aurier.
This season is an interesting one for him. I think he's well integrated into the squad, he's not treated or seen as the "young academy kid", despite hardly playing any minutes. He's always got a smile on his face. I know this sounds really lame but the aura and feeling around him is nothing but positive.

I get the feeling that he's done what he has been asked to do, there's been no kickback, grumpy demanding for minutes or he's off to Germany (who knows what could happen tomorrow), I think he's emulating what Winks did, just keep your head down and train hard, your chance will come (whether it has and he didn't take it will remain to be seen) but he is still here, not loaned out, a member of the first-team squad that plays its football at the top of the league both domestically and in Europe.

But yeah, he does have to break through this year.

Let's give him another year. What have we got to lose?

Seen enough of him personally. He's got literally nothing about him at all. I'm shocked he's still at the club, just blagging 20k a week for turning up and training a few hours a day. Think he'd be totally happy playing half a dozen games a season for the next few years and picking up 20k a week for it.

He must, MUST, be sent to play football somewhere, either loaned or sold. He's behind too many players.

The club recognised they overestimated the potential of CCV and Onomah and sent them on loan and now they might pick up decent fees for them, but KWP has little value because he hasn't played enough.

Seen enough of him personally. He's got literally nothing about him at all. I'm shocked he's still at the club, just blagging 20k a week for turning up and training a few hours a day. Think he'd be totally happy playing half a dozen games a season for the next few years and picking up 20k a week for it.

He must, MUST, be sent to play football somewhere, either loaned or sold. He's behind too many players.

The club recognised they overestimated the potential of CCV and Onomah and sent them on loan and now they might pick up decent fees for them, but KWP has little value because he hasn't played enough.

Valid argument, I can't really argue with it. What are your thoughts on Edwards now he's had a while to develop his skills and mindset and seemingly hasn't? Stick or is he offski as well?

Back
Top Bottom