Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fucking LOL at some of these judgments off a pre-season game.

He's 22 and has played less than 20 games, 3 or 4 of which have been MOTM performances. But nope, it's because was only OK, not bad mind you, in a pre-season game that means he's not going to make it.

Don't get me wrong, there's a chance he might not, but the categorical writing of him off is moronic at this stage.

He's 22 and has played less than 20 games, 3 or 4 of which have been MOTM performances. But nope, it's because was only OK, not bad mind you, in a pre-season game that means he's not going to make it.

Don't get me wrong, there's a chance he might not, but the categorical writing of him off is moronic at this stage.

He's played less than 20 games because he's not been deemed good enough. He's never been picked ahead of anyone for a big game. He's wheeled out for games like Huddersfield at home. A CB is picked ahead of him. The kid playing his first game or two always gets MOTM, it's like a rule, he's had a couple of those.

Posters are the giving you reasons he's not good enough:

Weak, no pace, hasn't got the character a player like Rose brings to the table, not particularly outstanding technique. It sounds terrible to say but he's a bit of a nothingy player.

Now, instead of coming out with the same old "he needs time" argument, why not tell us what qualities you see in him that makes you believe he'll be a PL level full back?

I agree with the broad thrust of this, but lets just note the opposing view here:

- The MOTM thing is ridiculous, the broadcasters of a couple of games have given him that as a novelty for nothing more than pedestrian performances

- KWP is 22 years old and has accomplished next to nothing in senior football, at a club which has struggled at his position.

Kyle Walker Non Peters had just been voted into the PFA team of the season at the same age, for some perspective.

Poch clearly sees something in him, and it looks like he'll have a chance, which is all a young player can ask. The time for KWP to prove he belongs is right now.

He's played less than 20 games because he's not been deemed good enough. He's never been picked ahead of anyone for a big game. He's wheeled out for games like Huddersfield at home. A CB is picked ahead of him. The kid playing his first game or two always gets MOTM, it's like a rule, he's had a couple of those.

Weak, no pace, hasn't got the character a player like Rose brings to the table, not particularly outstanding technique. It sounds terrible to say but he's a bit of a nothingy player.

Now, instead of coming out with the same old "he needs time" argument, why not tell us what qualities you see in him that makes you believe he'll be a PL level full back?

I don't think KWP is ready for prime time, but I don't think I agree with your assessment. Your analysis seems to suggest that he's a poor athlete whose skill level is average across the board. I don't think that's an accurate assessment.

I think he's a fairly average athlete for RB. He's obviously not as strong as Aurier or Walker, but I don't think it's fair to call him weak. And he's not particularly fast, but I think he's faster than Trippier and Aurier in any event.

As for his skill level, he's definitely not average across the board. He's shown a great deal of skill in the final third. He's a very good dribbler and a good "on the ground" passer. On the other hand, he's a mess defensively, mostly because his positioning is terrible. I don't know how many times I've seen him pinch in too far inside when the ball is in the middle of the field or left side (from a Spurs perspective), essentially double-teaming Toby's man. Our opponents then make an easy long pass to KWP's unmarked man on the right side of the field. Toby, who was in great position between his man and the ball before, is now out of position as his man is between him and the ball. Meanwhile, KWP scrambles to try and get over to his man who is already working out the pass he can make into the box for a tap-in. I've seen this happen over and over again in the very limited action KWP has gotten. It seems like something that would be easy to fix...."HEY! Toby has his man marked. Mark your own man!" But he keeps making the mistake so I guess not. If he plays a bunch of minutes and pulls that maneuver consistently, we will ship a bunch of goals that way.

I think he could be a PL level FB, absolutely. And fucking LOL at your MOTM comment. Absolute garbage. He was awarded them because he deserved them.

He's got a good technique, he makes good decisions with the ball, he's good when he gets in the final third, and most importantly of all, he's a smart footballer.

I agree that it's his physicality that will hold him back. although I don't agree that he has no pace, and I think that's the reason why he's been held back until now. You can say that Foyth has been picked ahead of him, and that Walker was whatever at his age, but they're both clearly better athletes than he is. However, he's certainly more stocky through the hips now than he has been in the past, and I suspect that a lot of work has gone into his core strength to enable to at least compete on this level. But he's got the football intelligence and technique to make it.

And my main point was about categorically writing players off when they're young. It's just nonsensical. Development isn't linear. It's pseudo-analytical rubbish that relies on assumptions about development.

Why is Poch looking to offload Rose, if he is so good and has 'character'?

Rose is a pain in the arse off the pitch, with his continual newspaper interviews, brings a lot of character on the pitch though. I've always believed Rose will still be here after the window and Poch probably realises that too and is happy about it. He's talked himself of out of a bigger contract here or anywhere else. Can see him going to Leeds next season if they go up for 10 mill.

KWP is probably a trouble free character off the pitch but seems soft on it and just not up to it. If we can bring in the other Sessegnon twin, he's three years younger and a better prospect in my opinion.

Rose is a pain in the arse off the pitch, with his continual newspaper interviews, brings a lot of character on the pitch though. I've always believed Rose will still be here after the window and Poch probably realises that too and is happy about it. He's talked himself of out of a bigger contract here or anywhere else. Can see him going to Leeds next season if they go up for 10 mill.

KWP is probably a trouble free character off the pitch but seems soft on it and just not up to it. If we can bring in the other Sessegnon twin, he's three years younger and a better prospect in my opinion.

Watch a lot of Fulham's kids do we?

I agree with the broad thrust of this, but lets just note the opposing view here:

- The MOTM thing is ridiculous, the broadcasters of a couple of games have given him that as a novelty for nothing more than pedestrian performances

- KWP is 22 years old and has accomplished next to nothing in senior football, at a club which has struggled at his position.

Kyle Walker Non Peters had just been voted into the PFA team of the season at the same age, for some perspective.

Poch clearly sees something in him, and it looks like he'll have a chance, which is all a young player can ask. The time for KWP to prove he belongs is right now.

21yo TAA has just been voted in the last PFA team ahead of Kyle Walker Non Peters, after his fist full season, having looked pretty erratic and Gomez being played ahead of him the year before, and both of them only getting game time because Clyne got injured. 17-18 KWP got more assists in two games than TAA got in 1500 minutes of football. But that's all he got that season, TAA got 1500 minutes.

As auspur said, there's no guarantee KWP will ultimately prove good enough, but what we've learnt, not just from players like Kane and TAA, and Sancho at Dortmund, but also from the shitload of young players that European leagues import from France/Germany every year, like Ndombele, we often don't see the best of these kids until they've had a consistent run of games over a season or two. They don't just look world class from the first couple of games, or even the first 5 or 10. Kane looked like he was wearing clown boots for the first dozen games he played, hell he still does some days. Ndombele was rejected by three clubs, played 2nd division football then had two seasons in Ligue1 before we paid 60m for him. He was literally worth less then KWP two years ago.

KWP definitely has some learning to do, but it's not like Aurier arrived here without plenty of learning to do either. If we'd given that game time to KWP over the last two years, we'd have a much better idea if he was up to the job or not by now.

I honestly think KWP could become a good player if we give him the chance. He should start against Villa and maybe against City. He either breaks through this season or doesnt.

Of course, we shouldnt risk like that and sign a RB if we want to compete for the title. But maybe it will workout. In Poch we trust.

He isn't ... Poch would be quite happy for Rose to stay ... it's Rose who wants a last big payday, fair enough he's on 60k a week with us and under contract for another 2 years by which time he'll be 31 and his value will have dropped, we've made it clear we won't be changing his contract so like Tripps did he's seeing who will, that's his right but so far it seems he has no takers for the salary he wants.

Best game today by a mile, but Villa are pretty poor in wide areas. It's against the likes of City he needs to do it, and against teams who have a threat in wide positions.

Needs to stop cutting the ball inside.

Has to grow up and take people on.

Drop the little boy shit and become a man.

Rooting for him to do it.

He has to take that step for this to work out.

Back
Top Bottom