Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd only start getting worried about KWP's development if he reaches the ages of 24 and 25 and is still not getting proper game-time.

But that won't happen. So I have zero worries. He's a good player. Doubt he'll ever be elite or Englands number one right back but he'll either save us a bit of money by providing us great depth, happy to be in the squad and being our own or he'll make us a bit of money for not being good enough.

At 24 or 25 and not playing reasonably regularly (lets say minimum of 10 games a season) and no chance he could make it at Spurs or probably any PL club - so a waste of everyone's time.

Spurs need homegrown and club trained players - one of the reasons we are running into problems this season is our fatigued players getting little rest and we have too many overseas trained players so can only buy home grown to relieve the pressure.

So I'd much rather try KWP out a few times (lets say 5-10 times with meaningful minutes) this season and assuming he passes that test, more playing time next season than this season. And if he fails the audition, we need to move onto other youngsters.

At 24 or 25 and not playing reasonably regularly (lets say minimum of 10 games a season) and no chance he could make it at Spurs or probably any PL club - so a waste of everyone's time.

Spurs need homegrown and club trained players - one of the reasons we are running into problems this season is our fatigued players getting little rest and we have too many overseas trained players so can only buy home grown to relieve the pressure.

So I'd much rather try KWP out a few times (lets say 5-10 times with meaningful minutes) this season and assuming he passes that test, more playing time next season than this season. And if he fails the audition, we need to move onto other youngsters.

Which is why I'm not worried or annoyed at Poch for not giving him game time at the age of 20/21.

He has two established internationals ahead of him who have 64 international caps between them and 600 club appearances between them. This isn't the case of Wan-Bissaka getting time because they had no fit right backs or Alexander-Arnold getting his chance because Clyne was out injured. It's simply KWP hasn't had the chance because he is a young 3rd choice player.

Aurier and Trippier have NEVER been injured at the same time for KWP to really be given a chance for a lengthy period of time, until now. Unfortunately for him, it's against one of the best teams in the world.

Has to mean he will get some opportunities.

Wonder if it signals that a player will either be out long term (Serge or Tripp) or if there is a exit underway (either on the right or on the left and he starts sharing that spot with Ben)

Looks like Aurier didn’t travel, so KWP could indeed start at the nou camp

Showtime, kiddo!

Ain't no thing.... Every one of those traveling Yido's got yer back! :tobyarm:

Which is why I'm not worried or annoyed at Poch for not giving him game time at the age of 20/21.

He has two established internationals ahead of him who have 64 international caps between them and 600 club appearances between them. This isn't the case of Wan-Bissaka getting time because they had no fit right backs or Alexander-Arnold getting his chance because Clyne was out injured. It's simply KWP hasn't had the chance because he is a young 3rd choice player.

Aurier and Trippier have NEVER been injured at the same time for KWP to really be given a chance for a lengthy period of time, until now. Unfortunately for him, it's against one of the best teams in the world.

It would be crazy to suggest we need to look to other clubs as examples of promoting youth (not that YOU were)....

I'm similarly patient(*).

Just disappointing when, in times where we've had 1 RB injured, the FB rotation has been thrown out of the window instead of playing KWP. I appreciate we've struggled in some respects so far this season, but last year must have been frustrating for him (I was frustrated for him).

I don't however think he's "mad" for backing himself.

(*The contract extension - to what was already a recently signed deal - is a good indicator that KWP is similarly calm about his immediate future.)

I'd expect a 'path' to open up for him before too long.

Tonight it looks like he may start against Barcelona - and if he does he either needs to play out of his skin and rely upon the (few) games he's played or he could be a wreck after that - if you recall Phil Ifil from about 15 years ago you will understand that. comment. But if not, Phil Ifil was probably one of the best players out of the Spurs academy at that time, an E u20 who aged 18 going on 19 had to play RB in the opening game of 2004/5 (I think). But unfortunately he'd never played competitively for the first team before (only pre-season) and the opening game was against Liverpool. He got taken apart although in some parts of the match did ok. He also played in the 2nd game, away to Newcastle, where he did better. But after one more game the following season and a few loans he was sold to Colchester....and after that into non league football.

IMO problem was simple. If he had played a number of games (mainly off the bench) he could have got used to playing mens football in Spurs first team before starting a big game in earnest.

So I'm hoping that 10 appearances (mainly off the bench) has been enough to get KWP accustomed to playing first team football and so able to deal with an undoubted tough big jump up to playing Barcelona. But 10 appearances really is not a lot, and its a shame he hasn't had more.

No pleasing some cunts...stop listening to The Extra Inch pod because of bullshit like this...

Of course the way this statement is made, is looking for a reaction - but if the lad was at any club barring say Man City in the league, I reckon he would be a regular starter / at the very least rotating as the 2nd choice. But with us he's the 3rd choice right back.

Look at Alexander-Arnold - he's already played at a World Cup for England. From what I've seen of him, KWP is good enough, but he's not getting the chances.

However, I'd rather see him stay at Spurs - which considering he's signed a long term contract, he is happy to do - and get the game time here. This is his time to shine, the 2 established players in front of him are out injured, let's see him grab that place and make the others have to try to prise it off him when they return to fitness.

What’s all this stuff about major assurances?
It became pretty obvious on the first game of LAST season at Newcastle away that he was in our plans.

Do people not see that our 1st and 2nd choice RBs are injured?

People seem to still be under the delusion that we are going to sign Cafu in January.

What’s all this stuff about major assurances?
It became pretty obvious on the first game of LAST season at Newcastle away that he was in our plans.

Do people not see that our 1st and 2nd choice RBs are injured?

People seem to still be under the delusion that we are going to sign Cafu in January.

I'm not sure I agree with this - he put in a man of the match performance and we went and signed another right back as well as dropping him for the next game. I'd have liked to have seen him retain that place, which I believe he earned with that performance. Or at least us not signing Aurier, so that he was the clear 2nd choice and could have been rotated regularly.

Then again, Poch must have seen something in training, which meant he didn't want to chuck him in to the deep end straight away. Hopefully it turns out as being a blessing in disguise.

I'm not sure I agree with this - he put in a man of the match performance and we went and signed another right back as well as dropping him for the next game. I'd have liked to have seen him retain that place, which I believe he earned with that performance. Or at least us not signing Aurier, so that he was the clear 2nd choice and could have been rotated regularly.

Then again, Poch must have seen something in training, which meant he didn't want to chuck him in to the deep end straight away. Hopefully it turns out as being a blessing in disguise.

And how would our lovely fan base have reacted if we sold Walker and promoted Walker-Peters?

We had to sign a high profile RB.

And how would our lovely fan base have reacted if we sold Walker and promoted Walker-Peters?

We had to sign a high profile RB.

From that point of view, yes. But I don't think signing Aurier was merely pandering to the fans.

But anyway, that's what happened - I'm just hoping that KWP can nail down that spot at right back for the future. Always enjoy seeing one of our own making it in the first team, no matter over what detour they end up there.

Of course the way this statement is made, is looking for a reaction - but if the lad was at any club barring say Man City in the league, I reckon he would be a regular starter / at the very least rotating as the 2nd choice. But with us he's the 3rd choice right back.

Look at Alexander-Arnold - he's already played at a World Cup for England. From what I've seen of him, KWP is good enough, but he's not getting the chances.

However, I'd rather see him stay at Spurs - which considering he's signed a long term contract, he is happy to do - and get the game time here. This is his time to shine, the 2 established players in front of him are out injured, let's see him grab that place and make the others have to try to prise it off him when they return to fitness.

Not really sure I agree.

Alexander-Arnold got his chance because they had no other right backs. Clyne and Gomez were both out injured. It just so happened he took his chance, Clyne still hasn't really recovered and Gomez has been moved back to centre half (though has played right back over TAA this season numerous times)

It's not the point of getting chances at other teams if he played for them. That doesn't make him good enough to start for us (not saying he isn't). He wouldn't get in Liverpool, City, United, Chelsea or Arsenals team. Those are our rivals we are competing with.

It's a weird one though. Because fans clamour for glory signings yet then moan when a youth player isn't given a chance. Almost every single person said we needed a new right back when Walker was sold. Barely anyone said give KWP a chance.

It's a weird one though. Because fans clamour for glory signings yet then moan when a youth player isn't given a chance. Almost every single person said we needed a new right back when Walker was sold. Barely anyone said give KWP a chance.

Must say - I didn't realise Walker-Peters was ready to make the step up, but after seeing him play against Newcastle I was a lot more confident. Looking back, with the second game being against Chelsea, it's actually a little bit more understandable that he was dropped back to the bench.

But yes, we are in a position where no matter what we do, whether it's signing high profile players, or giving the chances to our youth players, there will always be a devide in opinions.

Must say - I didn't realise Walker-Peters was ready to make the step up, but after seeing him play against Newcastle I was a lot more confident. Looking back, with the second game being against Chelsea, it's actually a little bit more understandable that he was dropped back to the bench.

But yes, we are in a position where no matter what we do, whether it's signing high profile players, or giving the chances to our youth players, there will always be a devide in opinions.

Like you say, we could even have played KWP against Chelsea and he may have got slaughtered. Fans then start getting on the managers back about selling Walker to a rival and not strengthening our own team etc.

Sometimes you have to be brave and give youngsters a chance and I think Poch MOSTLY does that well.

From that point of view, yes. But I don't think signing Aurier was merely pandering to the fans.

But anyway, that's what happened - I'm just hoping that KWP can nail down that spot at right back for the future. Always enjoy seeing one of our own making it in the first team, no matter over what detour they end up there.
It wasn’t pandering to the fans, it was taking responsibility for our defence.
But it had no bearing on KWP being our plans.

Not really sure I agree.

Alexander-Arnold got his chance because they had no other right backs. Clyne and Gomez were both out injured. It just so happened he took his chance, Clyne still hasn't really recovered and Gomez has been moved back to centre half (though has played right back over TAA this season numerous times)

It's not the point of getting chances at other teams if he played for them. That doesn't make him good enough to start for us (not saying he isn't). He wouldn't get in Liverpool, City, United, Chelsea or Arsenals team. Those are our rivals we are competing with.

Almost every single person said we needed a new right back when Walker was sold. Barely anyone said give KWP a chance.

If over the last 3 seasons KWP had been given more playing time so more fans knew who he was and had seen him play - perhaps having 20 or 30 appearances (6-10 per season) rather than 10 appearances over 3 seasons, maybe more fans would have recognised his capabilities. Spurs (like many bigger clubs in PL) don't seem to be that good at 'succession planning' as it was surely obvious that Walker fancied 'out' and equally obvious that KWP was a viable alternative if given playing time before Walker left.

Besides which clubs don't follow fans desires all the time - who wanted Dele from MK Dons or Walker from Sheffield United, or who had heard of Foyth before he was signed, and fans were definitely divided about Alderweireld from Atletico Madrid where he was a bench warmer ?

Almost every single person said we needed a new right back when Walker was sold. Barely anyone said give KWP a chance.

If over the last 3 seasons KWP had been given more playing time so more fans knew who he was and had seen him play - perhaps having 20 or 30 appearances (6-10 per season) rather than 10 appearances over 3 seasons, maybe more fans would have recognised his capabilities. Spurs (like many bigger clubs in PL) don't seem to be that good at 'succession planning' as it was surely obvious that Walker fancied 'out' and equally obvious that KWP was a viable alternative if given playing time before Walker left.

Besides which clubs don't follow fans desires all the time - who wanted Dele from MK Dons or Walker from Sheffield United, or who had heard of Foyth before he was signed, and fans were definitely divided about Alderweireld from Atlestico Madrid where he was a bench warmer ?

I can only base what I see at men's level. I really couldn't care less what he does against a bunch of kids. Most of whom won't even make it in the Championship. He's looked good on occasion but no where near good enough to start for us consistently. I am sure that'll change with more game time as its clear Poch rates him.

Quite a few recommended Dele on here. But when you're putting up those sort of numbers in lower leagues at a young age you take notice. Dele, once again though, got given his chance due to injuries. I also think it's a special case with Dele. His potential is world class. KWPs isn't.

You're naming players (besides Foyth) who all played 50+ games of men's football before even playing for us though. And even Foyth only got game time in cups or when players were out injured. Like KWP.

9 appearances and 1 goal for a 3rd choice full back last season is a pretty good return to be honest and he already looks on course to making more appearances this season.

Back
Top Bottom