Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Didn't have a good game but let's not throw him in the trash just yet eh lads - he did set up the Lucas goal because of his main asset (excellent delivery). We would struggle much more going forward without his threat down the right. We just need Poch to make him knuckle down defensively because he is becoming a consistent liability now.

Lob the ball down his side and you're in.

He's too short to win the header. He's too slow in a 1v1. And he's positioned too high which magnifies the issue.
Completely right.

I also have noticed on several occasions in different games that he doesn't listen to his teammates very well. Like yesterday at one point him and Sissoko were doubling up on their winger, Sissoko pointed to his right to tell Trippier to cover the outside whilst he covers the inside. Instead Trippier lunges in the middle and the winger knocks it outside of him. Things like that are fairly common.

His delivery is excellent though and that cannot be denied.
Another very useful weapon for us (particularly when we lack the midfield to pass through teams deep often) is Tripper's ability to play it down the line into the channel or even centrally for the WF or CF to run on to. He consistently keeps it in play and puts good weight on it.

For me, he's a very good wing back. He can and has put many good performances in at fullback but he's not at all reliable there.

Auriers stock seams to have risen

Perspective seems out of sync here

He's been convincingly underwhelming
Aurier's Fuck ups were longer ago and more a distant memory than Trippier's which are recent and still a very sore point. We can only hope that Aurier has learnt to be more cautious when tackling in or near the penalty area.

Needs to play as a wingback next to 3 centrebacks.
Problem is we only have looked comfortable in a 3 at the back system once we switch to it during a game. Not sure why whenever we have started with a 3 in a back in recent times we struggle to get our rhythm going. Tripps does need support defending. Went to sleep at one point also leaving the runner that went through on goal.

Problem is we only have looked comfortable in a 3 at the back system once we switch to it during a game. Not sure why whenever we have started with a 3 in a back in recent times we struggle to get our rhythm going. Tripps does need support defending. Went to sleep at one point also leaving the runner that went through on goal.
Any examples? I'm not disagreeing, I just don't remember it this way.

I'm a Trippier fan, hard not to like the guy - he's pulled himself up from £3.5m Burnely to full England Int and free kick taker, scoring in a WC semi no less. But if we're not going to play 3/5 much these days, then I can't see that he's good enough in a back 4 for all the reasons above - too small for the lob, too slow in 1-1. Great at forward passing, but we're too vulnerable. I'll check later for how many goals we've conceded this season compared to last, and also I'll try to work out how many down the right.

I don't like selling bods who have improved so much, but if we're going to play him out of his best position, then I'd prefer to cash in.

3atb doesn't suit us because it means fewer of our attacking mids (our best players) get on the pitch. This then becomes an issue because we don't move the ball up the pitch fast enough. Aurier hasn't fucked up this season when he's played. He has a lot more talent than trips. He has more physical attributes than trips. He's a better player apart from crossing lol

Kieran Trippier
From the top of the world to the nadir of his Tottenham career. If the summer of 2018 gave Trippier the greatest moments of his career, Russia must now seem like a world away. There are doubts even about his merited place in Mauricio Pochettino’s first team, so quickly has Trippier’s form fallen off a cliff.

There are some Tottenham supporters who believe that Trippier has always been overrated, his attacking endeavours masking a defensive weakness that can cost his side dear. On Saturday against Wolves, with central defender Juan Foyth given his debut next to Trippier, a young man needed to be protected. Instead, Trippier left him entirely exposed. Foyth gave away the two penalties that threatened Tottenham’s chances of victory, but Trippier was his team’s worst player.

Perhaps this is part of a World Cup hangover. Trippier would be forgiven for suffering mental and physical fatigue after a long summer. He also excelled as a wing-back in Russia and is being asked to play as a regulation right-back at club level. Trippier is struggling to alter his game sufficiently to deal with that positional change, and opposition managers are exploiting the flaw.

But this is emphatic proof that being a footballer at the highest level is not easy. Rarely do you get a chance to stand back and admire the view without risking losing the form that earned you such effusive praise. Four months after scoring in a World Cup semi-final, Trippier may well be dropped for Serge Aurier, a full-back who struggles to take throw-ins properly.

A lot of people on here have been pointing out how defensively weak Trippier is and how big of a percentage of our opponent's chances actually come from his flank but the pushback against these comments have been immense.

Poch coming out like this in public at least shows he's fully aware of it. Hopefully he gets dropped for Aurier for a while now because I don't even think Trippier has been as good offensively as he used to be.

3atb doesn't suit us because it means fewer of our attacking mids (our best players) get on the pitch. This then becomes an issue because we don't move the ball up the pitch fast enough. Aurier hasn't fucked up this season when he's played. He has a lot more talent than trips. He has more physical attributes than trips. He's a better player apart from crossing lol
Depends who's in the XI.

I can't recall 2 better performances and results than 2-0 Chavs and 4-0 West Brom 2016-17. On the back of matches since that mid- Dec starting v Hull when we first tried the formation. Took 60 mins or so to get to grips fully, although we were 1-0 up by then. Walker then tore them a new one, got an assist, I'm sure. Ended 3-0, should have been more. 6 wins on the spin, ave of 3 gpg. Shortly after that, Rose got the injury at Sunderland.

I still think it's the best formation against the top teams. Very difficult to defend against. I think over the course of that season we had best goals for and best goals against, or near enough. With at that pace out wide we stretched teams all over the place, even on a small WHL pitch.

Ideally I'd like KWP and Aurier to get more game time in that formation. At least play it more often. It's why I was wanting to buy Sessegnon a while back. Great LWB prospect IMO.

Depends who's in the XI.

I can't recall 2 better performances and results than 2-0 Chavs and 4-0 West Brom 2016-17. On the back of matches since that mid- Dec starting v Hull when we first tried the formation. Took 60 mins or so to get to grips fully, although we were 1-0 up by then. Walker then tore them a new one, got an assist, I'm sure. Ended 3-0, should have been more. 6 wins on the spin, ave of 3 gpg. Shortly after that, Rose got the injury at Sunderland.

I still think it's the best formation against the top teams. Very difficult to defend against. I think over the course of that season we had best goals for and best goals against, or near enough. With at that pace out wide we stretched teams all over the place, even on a small WHL pitch.

Ideally I'd like KWP and Aurier to get more game time in that formation. At least play it more often. It's why I was wanting to buy Sessegnon a while back. Great LWB prospect IMO.

Those 2 results, amazingly, were the only games where we had our ENTIRE 11 fit during 2016/2017.

Lloris
Alderweireld - Dier - Vertonghen
Walker - Wanyama - Dembele - Rose
Dele - Eriksen
Kane
I believe was our line up during those 2 games. We never saw that again after those 2 games. (Before or after)

Last edited:
Depends who's in the XI.

If we'd have replaced either LB with RS this summer we'd be in a worse position now if improving our LB berth is the goal

Not saying he isnt a prospect and i understood his goals would dry up somewhat, but he's not cutting it defensively at EPL level.

Replace Ben, we'd have had RS as #1.
Replacing Rose would have flown in the face of popular opinion that he's in fact our best LB (something he's in fact not been for over 2 years now - see physical and mental health.).

3 FBs? Just ask KWP how thats panning out for him.

Ideally, i'd sell Rose & Trippier in the summer and bring in new 2 #1s... Then decide whether KWP or Serge join BD as back-up and sell the other too.

Those 2 results, amazingly, were the only games where we had our ENTIRE 11 fit during 2016/2017.

Lloris
Alderweireld - Dier - Vertonghen
Walker - Wanyama - Dembele - Rose
Dele - Eriksen
Kane
I believe was our line up during those 2 games. We never saw that again after those 2 games.
I know, crying shame isn't it? If we'd stumbled on it at the time the Chavs went 3 at the back we'd prolly have won the title. And been luckier with injuries too of course. Forgot to say that Jan got injured too in the West Brom game, chasing a nothing ball at 4-0 up. Urgh.

I know, crying shame isn't it? If we'd stumbled on it at the time the Chavs went 3 at the back we'd prolly have won the title. And been luckier with injuries too of course. Forgot to say that Jan got injured too in the West Brom game, chasing a nothing ball at 4-0 up. Urgh.

Yep, then I believe Rose got injured a few weeks later against Sunderland, then we saw Walker get dropped for Trippier, Wanyama then died etc. etc.

Yep, then I believe Rose got injured a few weeks later against Sunderland, then we saw Walker get dropped for Trippier, Wanyama then died etc. etc.

Ben held his own well for the bulk of DRs absence... Even as late as this summers pre-season he was performing well....

I find his current dip baffling tbh.

Back
Top Bottom