Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But when we bought Dele, no one said “YES!!! He’s better than Siggy!”

It would have been a stupid judgement at the time.
A bit like why you perhaps wouldn’t want to replace Eriksen with Grealish eh
Well. Grealish plays on the second tier eriksen starts for us over five years. And it’s not like grealish he’s that young. But wouldn’t say no to him at the moment

Can’t wait for Wan Bissaka to come in for 30M and not cross the ball, and be no better than Trippier or Aurier.

But at least he’s new and right now doesn’t play for us, so we can all have a wank.

A good season for Everton, then Utd come in for Tripper, and everyone starts pretending he suddenly got better, rather than admit they all acted like cunts towards the guy
Why are you so hell bent on defending an average player just so you have something to argue in this thread. He’s not good enough, never has been and never will be for us

Why are you so hell bent on defending an average player just so you have something to argue in this thread. He’s not good enough, never has been and never will be for us

As I’ve told you, I think he’s a good player who’s had a bad season, due to poor form and two heavy injuries.

I defend him because he tries and I defend him because he is struggling. He cost 3.5M, and is probably rated around the 12-15M mark.
I don’t expect a world beater, and I don’t put demands on him that can’t be met:
He’s a lad from Burnley that took over the RB spot, and we finished 2nd (I’m fully aware he played the last months) and 3rd with him playing there as first choice.
Even in this poor form we still sit 3rd.

I’ll defend any player putting in the effort. I won’t defend someone not trying just because they have better ability.

It’s that simple....I like the fella. Move on

As I’ve told you, I think he’s a good player who’s had a bad season, due to poor form and two heavy injuries.

I defend him because he tries and I defend him because he is struggling. He cost 3.5M, and is probably rated around the 12-15M mark.
I don’t expect a world beater, and I don’t put demands on him that can’t be met:
He’s a lad from Burnley that took over the RB spot, and we finished 2nd (I’m fully aware he played the last months) and 3rd with him playing there as first choice.
Even in this poor form we still sit 3rd.

I’ll defend any player putting in the effort. I won’t defend someone not trying just because they have better ability.

It’s that simple....I like the fella. Move on
Putting in an effort or where is was born (?) is no exoneration for poor performances. We need better at his spot - he can go struggle at some other team

Putting in an effort or where is was born (?) is no exoneration for poor performances. We need better at his spot - he can go struggle at some other team

Putting in effort despite two serious injuries and not coping mentally well with it, while admitting publically he’s been poor is enough for me to give him a chance.

I’ve explained the positions we’ve achieved in the PL with a Trippier as our RB. I’d be happy for him to play the way he did last season, and in my opinion deserves a chance to gain fitness, confidence and form.

I believe he deserves this chance due to his attitude and acceptance that he needs to be better. I also don’t brush aside injuries because I dont like a player, but use them as excuses for players I do like. That’s a nonsense.

If the only change we made this summer was Trippier out and.....I don’t know, pick a RB of your choice from any team in the world, you think we’d win the title, with other key players playing like they have been recently?
Won’t make a difference because as I’ve said, a million times, the RB is not the problem, it’s just an easy scapegoat.....people screaming for Aurier and KWP like we left Phillip Lahm on the bench ffs.

However swap in Dybala, or Bale or Sane or Hazard or Mane for a certain other AM of ours and we would be right up there challenging.

How people can not grasp the simple fact that we suffer more when our best players play shit, than we do when lesser players play shit is fucking beyond me.

How people can not grasp the simple fact that we suffer more when our best players play shit, than we do when lesser players play shit is fucking beyond me.
Any player playing 'shit' hurts us - especially defensively. We've gone from having the best defensive record to comical errors this season - and he's been a massive part of that. Has no place in this team anymore and was merely a stop gap at the time

Last edited:
You could argue - by the same logic we could have been much higher with a better RB - so that's a non point really
I dont agree with that though as I’ve just said. I don’t see RB as the problem....I think poor mentality and wasting too many chances and not being ruthless up top has cost us titles.
You could add every single goal that the team has conceded due to a mistake or poor defending in the last three seasons, and it won’t scratch the surface of how many times the team has wasted goal scoring opportunities.

No, nobody scores every chance, obviously, but when we lose or draw games after scoring one goal from 19-26 shots on a regular basis, you can’t keep blaming the RB and DM.

The Leicester season we had 26 shots, not to mention the chances we should have created with the right passes.....scored none, lost 1-0 from a poor corner and Toby lost his man.

Was Toby more at fault than Kane who missed several sitters? Was it Trippier or Diers fault?
That was the game we would have won the PL from arguably.

Got to say some excellent points being made and with no offensive language.

Both Arcspace and Sammyspurs are right in their respective arguments.

Pochettino however picks Trippier over the other options. Pochettino who has not yet instilled a strong enough mentality.

I dont agree with that though as I’ve just said. I don’t see RB as the problem....I think poor mentality and wasting too many chances and not being ruthless up top has cost us titles.
You could add every single goal that the team has conceded due to a mistake or poor defending in the last three seasons, and it won’t scratch the surface of how many times the team has wasted goal scoring opportunities.

No, nobody scores every chance, obviously, but when we lose or draw games after scoring one goal from 19-26 shots on a regular basis, you can’t keep blaming the RB and DM.

The Leicester season we had 26 shots, not to mention the chances we should have created with the right passes.....scored none, lost 1-0 from a poor corner and Toby lost his man.

Was Toby more at fault than Kane who missed several sitters? Was it Trippier or Diers fault?
That was the game we would have won the PL from arguably.
We'd just have to agree to disagree. For me he's a very poor footballer and our second weakest link currently after CM

Danny is clearly our best FB and still isn’t 100% fit yet but pleased with his latest international performance

Trippier,Aurier,KWP, Davies just not good enough

If we can get £20 million for Tripps from Everton we should bite their hands off

Danny is clearly our best FB and still isn’t 100% fit yet but pleased with his latest international performance

If we can get £20 million for Tripps from Everton we should bite their hands off

Interesting debate over the fullback areas over the last few posts I've read.

It brings me to this conclusion. There's nobody glaring good that could definitely 100% make both areas a game changer for us so what does the club do? Does it stick with what it has or spend a silly amount of money on someone that doesn't stand out as a superb signing for a team at our level? LB& RB are long term issue areas but for me the most important investments are in different areas of the pitch, predominantly in CM, CD if Toby leaves & an Eriksen replacement should he move on.

It's tough but I see us linked with very few fullbacks that genuinely hit the button. Nice players but are they genuinely huge upgrades worth lumping all of our money on when finances in the market need to be relatively tight?

It brings me to this conclusion. There's nobody glaring good that could definitely 100% make both areas a game changer for us so what does the club do? Does it stick with what it has or spend a silly amount of money on someone that doesn't stand out as a superb signing for a team at our level? LB& RB are long term issue areas but for me the most important investments are in different areas of the pitch, predominantly in CM, CD if Toby leaves & an Eriksen replacement should he move on.

It's tough but I see us linked with very few fullbacks that genuinely hit the button. Nice players but are they genuinely huge upgrades worth lumping all of our money on when finances in the market need to be relatively tight?

Still don't understand the clamour to sell Davies.

He was deemed an acceptable #2 but now with question marks hanging over Rose's fitness and recovery time, Ben's not good enough for this club, period? If popular opinion is that Rose is the better LB, fine. but why is Davies no longer good enough to deputise?

Besides, we aren't getting slaughtered down the left like we have been down the right for much of the season; so is there an issue at LB at all? ...One demanding enough to command our attention over the next 12 months? I don't see it...

This has been my point for much of the last couple of years. People bemoaning our Rb's, especially Trippier, seem oblivious to the fact that none of our piers have RB's that are any better. Cheslea won a title with Moses FFS, Leicester with Simpson. ManU have had Valencia and Young as RB's last few seasons, Azpelecueta's a great defender but he's fucking turgid going forward. Bellerin is decent enough but hardly a vast improvement on Trippier in either direction. And City have Walker, and we all know he's got the brains of table leg.

Yeah, Trippier can't dribble past people, and he's not the quickest or strongest, but he's just par in a league where the champions have a player that Trippier massively outperforms offensively and isn't any more stupid defensively. Just not as good an athlete.

I still would like to see KWP given a run of games, because that's what players need to truly develop and be assessed. If not the same for Aurier, give him a run and see if it improves his general level.

I also don't get why Rose gets called good. He's fucking hopeless when he goes forwards, wastes almost every chance he gets to produce something, and he's a fuckingetrrible defender, always has been.

Still don't understand the clamour to sell Davies.

He was deemed an acceptable #2 but now with question marks hanging over Rose's fitness and recovery time, Ben's not good enough for this club, period? If popular opinion is that Rose is the better LB, fine. but why is Davies no longer good enough to deputise?

Besides, we aren't getting slaughtered down the left like we have been down the right for much of the season; so is there an issue at LB at all? ...One demanding enough to command our attention over the next 12 months? I don't see it...

Ben Davies as a backup LB for me is more than adequate. He barely puts a foot wrong, can help out as a centre-back on the left side if need be and is defensively very sound. I think people focus on his attacking qualities when highlighting him as needing replacing which is unfair seeing as his primary responsibilities are to defend. More than happy with him being a part of the squad.

Long term Rose will potentially be an issue. Contract due to expire in 2021 & being outspoken in the past about wanting a move up north. If we want to get any money for him it'll either be this summer for top whack or the summer after at a knock down price with a year left.

Trippier & Aurier would both make excellent backup right backs, which I think shows our issue as neither have added enough quality to be a mainstay in a team aspiring to challenge. My only issue is I don't see anyone top class (apart from one or two that I don't think are achievable) that would add much more that would cost under our record fee paid. I'd like to see a new RB but with a limited pool to select from and areas in the first XI that may need critical TLC I know where I'd splurge if need be & an over bloated and bigged up RB like many seem to be at the moment wouldn't be one of them if the wedge is limited as it has seemingly been for the last 7-8 years

This has been my point for much of the last couple of years. People bemoaning our Rb's, especially Trippier, seem oblivious to the fact that none of our piers have RB's that are any better. Cheslea won a title with Moses FFS, Leicester with Simpson. ManU have had Valencia and Young as RB's last few seasons, Azpelecueta's a great defender but he's fucking turgid going forward. Bellerin is decent enough but hardly a vast improvement on Trippier in either direction. And City have Walker, and we all know he's got the brains of table leg.

Yeah, Trippier can't dribble past people, and he's not the quickest or strongest, but he's just par in a league where the champions have a player that Trippier massively outperforms offensively and isn't any more stupid defensively. Just not as good an athlete.

I'm not laying this exclusively at your feet, but which is it:

Does KT need to be "good enough for Spurs" or simply "as good as other teams have"?

Mixed messages all over the place on that front.

I also don't get why Rose gets called good. He's fucking hopeless when he goes forwards, wastes almost every chance he gets to produce something, and he's a fuckingetrrible defender, always has been.

Largely peeps seem to see the tenacity and his aggressive nature; take them away and Davies is the better player - Marginally better at crossing and much better defensively.

Back
Top Bottom