Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Tripps is an absolutely quality crosser of the ball, but I don't think he justifies his place with that ability alone. Due to his high profile world cup campaign and his general rated-ness within the general consesus I would say we would be best off shipping him for a nice fee and either bringing in somebody new or really giving KWP and Aurier a pushing on.

It's the 4 at the back that is a problem. We need to find a way to play 3-4-3 again. Play him as a right wing back and right midfielder. I don't get why, aside from injuries, Poch doesn't use this more. He just got done by it (3-4-2-1), and used it well against bigger sides and as an experiment in the past. Use it all the time whenever possible.

It becomes quite obvious that teams tend to target him (especially in the air) and often Sissoko has to drift over to cover for him.
Sissoko does the same for any of our RBs.
It's how Poch wants us to play, RBs push up Sissoko sits in their position.
I lost count of the number of times he covered the RB spot for KWP the other day.
This is not to defend Tripps, he was awful, only to highlight our setup when we have the ball.

It's the 4 at the back that is a problem. We need to find a way to play 3-4-3 again. Play him as a right wing back and right midfielder. I don't get why, aside from injuries, Poch doesn't use this more. He just got done by it (3-4-2-1), and used it well against bigger sides and as an experiment in the past. Use it all the time whenever possible.

It's a good question.

Especially when Winks tends to play better with 3 at the back and Son is basically playing up front anyway

Much much better today. Took a lot more care in his passes so presumably watched his last performance (or got told about it) and has learned from it, which is positive. Still think hes better in a 5 tho.

I’m surprised at the above 3 posts.

Not knocking the guy but I’d have said by his own barometer from this season he was relatively under par tonight. When he was on my side in 1st half he seemed to make a lot of bad decisions and rarely used the ball effectively.

Don’t have the benefit of replays etc but just interesting that I came away thinking he was part of the reason Sanchez looked shaky in possession yet others (the majority and posters I tend to agree with) rated him so highly

I’m surprised at the above 3 posts.

Not knocking the guy but I’d have said by his own barometer from this season he was relatively under par tonight. When he was on my side in 1st half he seemed to make a lot of bad decisions and rarely used the ball effectively.

Don’t have the benefit of replays etc but just interesting that I came away thinking he was part of the reason Sanchez looked shaky in possession yet others (the majority and posters I tend to agree with) rated him so highly
I think what we're all saying is he was poorer than normal going forward (not being able to get forward) but defensively had a good game
Swings and roundabouts.

Two particularly excellent moments where he absolutely took all the threat away with measured calmness and great skill.

One head back and one chest back to the keeper under enormous pressure from point blank range. Great understanding with Gaz.

He won’t get as much credit as he should and people will look to the Chelsea pressure and blame the likes of Trippier and Winks but for me they were just ghosting in past the deep lying Eriksen and Dele for much of the game.

Dele showed fight, but I’ve heard people saying he had a great game.....baffling

The occasional reward isn't worth the risk with Trippier in all honesty.

He was brilliant against Chelsea in the week but how many times can we stop and say 'Trippier was excellent defensively?' - I can't even think of another game besides Chelsea in the cup.

I genuinely don't mind him as a back up full back. We know he has a great pass on him when given time and in cup games in the early rounds and over a busy period he's worth starting against the 'lower' teams but I think right back needs a clear upgrade.

Whether that's KWP or not, we won't know until he's given a run of games, I don't know - but Poch needs to sort that out. We can't keep changing our full backs week after week.

If he has to start, then I see no reason why we can't play 3 at the back and push him up the field. With Son gone for a few weeks, maybe this is an option.

Last edited:
For me, Tripps is a defender who simply cannot defend pace. An accident waiting to happen.

Thought Rose would have started ahead of Davis today to give us a lot more pace.

Back
Top Bottom