Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought he was the second coming of Christ, who needs Kyle Walker, he is going to be England's RB for the next fifty years!!! Its a bit like selling the other half's swarkovski ring, then going to Elizabeth duke (for those who remember) buying a similar ring hand it back to the other half and say this is just as Good!!!!!

Very useful player in a 3-5-2 but a liability in a 4-4-2 - especially against pace. Aurier should have played today and Trippier against Brighton.

Poch hung him out to dry I feel. He litterally douched his arse, squirted KY in it and said to Sane: "Here you go! He's all yours and you can even shoot your load in him!" He might never recover from the raping he took.
Disagree, he is one of the main reasons why we struggle to brake down teams that sit back, he doesn’t commit the oppo, can’t take on the oppo, (Aurier does) instead all he does is check back or aimlessly hit a cross to no one. At least when we come up against a side that pushes their FB’s up we have been able to get Tripps in behind with a ball played for him to run onto. But the truth is he still not very good in a 4 or 3, been our worst player ever since he joined, he’s still our worst player.

Can't help but feel city looked at our squad and their squad before signing Walker and thought which of our reserves would be most out of their depth against their attacking player. Sane didn't even need to sprint, he was walking around Trippier. Aurier might be erratic / rash but at least he had a chance of keeping up with the top players.

Disagree, he is one of the main reasons why we struggle to brake down teams that sit back, he doesn’t commit the oppo, can’t take on the oppo, (Aurier does) instead all he does is check back or aimlessly hit a cross to no one. At least when we come up against a side that pushes their FB’s up we have been able to get Tripps in behind with a ball played for him to run onto. But the truth is he still not very good in a 4 or 3, been our worst player ever since he joined, he’s still our worst player.

One of the unforgivable things in football is a professional player without pace not working on their weaker foot. Imagine how much better Trippier would be if he could cut back and cross in with his left foot instead of that infuriating drag back and pass back into our own half every time. There's no excuse for it, he has about 10 free hours a day he could just be crossing with his left foot on the training pitch.

One of the unforgivable things in football is a professional player without pace not working on their weaker foot. Imagine how much better Trippier would be if he could cut back and cross in with his left foot instead of that infuriating drag back and pass back into our own half every time. There's no excuse for it, he has about 10 free hours a day he could just be crossing with his left foot on the training pitch.
Too late for that, all that work can/should be done when a kid. Thing is he can’t cross the ball with his right either, people wanking themselves over assist stats, when the reality is his crosses rarely find a Spurs shirt (one assist this season from nearly 80 crosses!!!).

Full backs are full backs because they lack the skill set to play further forward and an ability to use your weaker foot well is an important part of being a player higher up the pitch. Son could be turned into a world class full back but it would be a waste of his abilities like it would have been with Bale.

Too late for that, all that work can/should be done when a kid. Thing is he can’t cross the ball with his right either, people wanking themselves over assist stats, when the reality is his crosses rarely find a Spurs shirt (one assist this season from nearly 80 crosses!!!).

Let's not rewrite history. Trippier's had good games for Spurs and it's his ability to put in crosses of a consistent quality first time without additional touches is his main attribute that he's shown many times. He showed that against Madrid. It's his defensive attributes that are the issue but he's a better back up than most teams have but we shouldn't have been playing our back up away against the best team in the league!

Let's not rewrite history. Trippier's had good games for Spurs and it's his ability to put in crosses of a consistent quality first time without additional touches is his main attribute that he's shown many times. He showed that against Madrid. It's his defensive attributes that are the issue but he's a better back up than most teams have but we shouldn't have been playing our back up away against the best team in the league!
If his crosses were any good he would have assisted more than one goal from his near 80 so far this season. He’s a championship level player.

He’s much better against teams that sit back and allow you to attack. Defensively, he’s suspect. Speed on MC’s wing burned him yesterday. Perhaps Serge would have been the better option.
City’s team speed is outstanding and I believe that’s a big reason they’re on top of the table, and why Spurs suffered.

He’s much better against teams that sit back and allow you to attack. Defensively, he’s suspect. Speed on MC’s wing burned him yesterday. Perhaps Serge would have been the better option.
City’s team speed is outstanding and I believe that’s a big reason they’re on top of the table, and why Spurs suffered.

He's struggled against the teams that sit back as well, they all know he won't dribble past them or make runs in behind so just push up to close down his crossing opportunities.

The only time he looks dangerous is when we get a few goals up against someone shit and the opposition start to leave spaces down the wings.

Alan Shearers team of 2017.

DRqsOkWWkAAQ1dz.jpg

If his crosses were any good he would have assisted more than one goal from his near 80 so far this season. He’s a championship level player.

Come on mate. We get it, you don't like him, but he's patently better than Championship level. He has his uses and has contributed for us in some games. I will agree that he's been shown up in some games against pacy players, but i really don't get continually hounding one of our players. I think he's a perfectly acceptable squad player that has shown that he can play for the 1st team, whilst at the same time not really being good enough to hold 1st place. That doesn't mean he's not good enough for the PL. That means that your expectations for our players has increased. He would be 1st choice rb for at least 12 PL sides i reckon.

Once we've cooled Aurier down a bit and he's fully up to speed on what Poch wants, i have little doubt that he'll be a reliable 1st choice. I wouldn't have a problem with Trips as back up for him.

Come on mate. We get it, you don't like him, but he's patently better than Championship level. He has his uses and has contributed for us in some games. I will agree that he's been shown up in some games against pacy players, but i really don't get continually hounding one of our players. I think he's a perfectly acceptable squad player that has shown that he can play for the 1st team, whilst at the same time not really being good enough to hold 1st place. That doesn't mean he's not good enough for the PL. That means that your expectations for our players has increased. He would be 1st choice rb for at least 12 PL sides i reckon.

Once we've cooled Aurier down a bit and he's fully up to speed on what Poch wants, i have little doubt that he'll be a reliable 1st choice. I wouldn't have a problem with Trips as back up for him.
I’ve never rated him though. ONLY players I’ve thought have been shit for us whilst on this forum have been Dempsey, Paulinho and Tripps. I’ve backed numerous other players in the face of heavy criticism. Not looking for gold medals or trying to get a rise, I just think he is a poor player, many, many other FB’s out there that are far better. Just think back to Kyle Naughton, poor FB but for me he is still better than Tripps. I’m more vocal about him as I simply do not get what people see in him, even those that bang on about his crossing & assist stats as proof of his greatness, until you look closer at them they are just flakey and don’t back up or show that he’s a great player. I’ve been quick to come on here on the two or three occasions he has had good performances, just to give him some acknowledgement, rather than bash. Had he had more of these then I wouldn’t be bashing him.

He’s 28, we can let him go this summer for the cash out. I don’t think he’s a terrible player, he’s actually a decent FB (bit shaky at the back good going forward) but he’s not top 3 material and I don’t see him wasting his last good years on the bench.

If we're even thinking about selling him, then we'd better have a damn good transfer target lined up, or more faith in KWP than his current number of minutes played would suggest.

Having two first-team level full backs on each side is an absolute must for Poch.

Back
Top Bottom