Justin Edinburgh

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would/ will Tottenham do anything regards Leyton during pre season a friendly perhaps a nice gesture.

Last edited:
That's why we love Ginola, he just knows what being Spurs is from the ethics and morals through to the flair on the pitch. I'm very proud to be a part of this family and I'm sure Justin was as well.

Once a Spur, always a Spur. Big respect to Edinburgh and all of his family and fellow pros feeling his loss this evening. Much love number 3
IMO this though an unfortunate situation makes Tottenham Hotspur the club it is ex-players, supporters being as one whether in triumph or despair we are Tottenham Hotspur and will always be Tottenham Hotspur Football Club......one of our own.

Would/ will Tottenham do anything regards Leyton during pre season a friendly perhaps a nice gesture.
Would be nice, but can see how it might not happen. As who do we do it for and who do we miss out?

Maybe a glamour pre season friendly each season with all the proceeds going to the Tottenham Tribute Trust?

This is such sad news, im gutted. I have met Justin a few times when i was living in Billericay and i have my 1991 FA cup shirt signed by Justin which i have always treasured.

R.I.P Justin and thank you for the memories.

So sorry to hear we have lost a true Tottenham hero today. Obviously, my memories are of the 91 side that lifted the cup. What they achieved that year was phenomenal considering Woolwich pretty much pissed the league that year and we stopped them achieving the double with our semi win.

49 is no age. I'm 46 myself. I have been a miserable cunt all week and this news made me put things into perspective. I have been avoiding all contact with my red twin but this made me realize anyone can be taken from at us anytime. So went to see him to get it out of the way.

RIP Justin.

Edit: I am 45.

Ginola, hoddle, eugo and now Justin, all having heart attacks... the government needs to hurry and make screenings free and readily available for all rather than wasting funds on propaganda
You have triggered something i thought of earlier. After Fabrice Muamba's incident,didn't they make heart screenings a part of all medical tests within football? I would think that should extend to staff.

Ginola, hoddle, eugo and now Justin, all having heart attacks... the government needs to hurry and make screenings free and readily available for all rather than wasting funds on propaganda
I mean, that'd be a good thing but I don't see how it would help in these cases. They're all more than well off enough to pay for a screening if they decided to, and going forwards the next generation of coaches will be so mega-rich from their playing days that it'll be pocket change. It's about convincing them that they need to potentially get it done as well as much more importantly making lifestyle changes, and "propaganda" is the only real way to do that.

Don't forget that he had his own heart attack only a short time ago! We're lucky to still have him and Hoddle around.
:eriksenserious:

If anyone wasn't sure of how much of a cunt a certain social media user was, take a look at the following (spoiled for decency):

Thats appalling... What an insensitive moron he is

You have triggered something i thought of earlier. After Fabrice Muamba's incident,didn't they make heart screenings a part of all medical tests within football? I would think that should extend to staff.
They've brought them in for young players coming through, although its effectiveness is at best limited. The kind of rare disorders it aims to detect only occur in 0.3% of the population, and 99% of those show strong symptoms before a fatal attack - it's the 1% of the 0.3% (0.003%, or less than 1 in 30,000 people) this is targeting. Even then it's hit and miss because there seem to be a lot of weak tell-tale signs rather than a couple of strong ones, most will only exhibit one or two, we haven't properly identified them all yet and they're not all simple to test for.

Muamba looks like a case that might not have happened if he'd had those tests - although it's also quite possible that he'd shown symptoms which weren't recognised, which is an area we need to focus on too. But on the balance of probabilities it's very unlikely to have done anything for Edinburgh, Hoddle or Ginola. Rather than having some rare defect, it's almost certainly a combination of inherited factors we can't screen for (which may have manifested in other family members having had heart attacks), lifestyle issues, and rotten luck.

There does seem to be some emerging evidence to suggest that having had a generally very healthy lifestyle, such as that of an athlete, and going on to a less ideal one can leave you worse off than having had that sub-optimal lifestyle in the first place. And former players going into coaching often tick a lot of boxes for this - high stress, possibly leading to high blood pressure, physical inactivity, being overweight, poor diets, use of tobacco, alcohol or some illegal drugs - alongside the unavoidable factors of getting older and being male. Tackling this would have a much bigger impact than any kind of screening program we're capable of with current technology.

They've brought them in for young players coming through, although its effectiveness is at best limited. The kind of rare disorders it aims to detect only occur in 0.3% of the population, and 99% of those show strong symptoms before a fatal attack - it's the 1% of the 0.3% (0.003%, or less than 1 in 30,000 people) this is targeting. Even then it's hit and miss because there seem to be a lot of weak tell-tale signs rather than a couple of strong ones, most will only exhibit one or two, we haven't properly identified them all yet and they're not all simple to test for.

Muamba looks like a case that might not have happened if he'd had those tests - although it's also quite possible that he'd shown symptoms which weren't recognised, which is an area we need to focus on too. But on the balance of probabilities it's very unlikely to have done anything for Edinburgh, Hoddle or Ginola. Rather than having some rare defect, it's almost certainly a combination of inherited factors we can't screen for (which may have manifested in other family members having had heart attacks), lifestyle issues, and rotten luck.

There does seem to be some emerging evidence to suggest that having had a generally very healthy lifestyle, such as that of an athlete, and going on to a less ideal one can leave you worse off than having had that sub-optimal lifestyle in the first place. And former players going into coaching often tick a lot of boxes for this - high stress, possibly leading to high blood pressure, physical inactivity, being overweight, poor diets, use of tobacco, alcohol or some illegal drugs - alongside the unavoidable factors of getting older and being male. Tackling this would have a much bigger impact than any kind of screening program we're capable of with current technology.
Thank you. A very detailed response.

An answer that affects all men of a certain age. I myself am a smoker and like a drink. I knew i had to change my outlook awhile ago and started cycling to work 2 months ago.

Look after yourselves everyone.

It's even harder after seeing him last weekend enjoying the biggest day of the club's history this time last week.

Back
Top Bottom