Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I genuinely think he's going to develop into an absolute gem. He's so elegant with th ball at his feet and how he strides out of defence. I look my footballers to take risks Andy he seems to have a natural offensive aggression that I want my defenders to have. Lovely footballing talent

Your optimism has no bounds :)
Hope you're right!!
(whos Andy btw??)

My typing on this site is awful. Andy wouldn't approve ;)

Davinson raw thunder and aggression but Foyth is so elegant. For me he'll be working closely with Jan and Davinson Toby

I spoke to Andy and he said it's fine this time but don't let it happen again!! :)

I'll wait until I see them playing in a Spurs shirt before I pass judgement but i've never been so excited about us signing defenders before (including Toby) :)

I spoke to Andy and he said it's fine this time but don't let it happen again!! :)

I'll wait until I see them playing in a Spurs shirt before I pass judgement but i've never been so excited about us signing defenders before (including Toby) :)

When you think of where we were before signing players like Stambouli only 3 years ago it's amazing the progress we've made.

If we can go find the next Bernardo Silva or David Silva to play alongside Eriksen and Dele and an understudy for Dembele we'd ensure we continue our progress.

I'd much rather a clever player in attack than just raw pace (both pace and intelligence would be nice but so difficult to find)

When you think of where we were before signing players like Stambouli only 3 years ago it's amazing the progress we've made.

I'd actually forgotten about him :)

If we can go find the next Bernardo Silva or David Silva to play alongside Eriksen and Dele and an understudy for Dembele we'd ensure we continue our progress.

I think Poch has plans for Sissoko that don't include binning him :)
Even with all the reports during transfer window there didn't seem to be any danger of him going.
He played well in Burnley game so i'm probably hopeful that he has a 2nd season blinder :)

Do you not think Winks could be a Dembele understudy?? I always assumed he was.

I'd much rather a clever player in attack than just raw pace (both pace and intelligence would be nice but so difficult to find)

Do you not think Son could play that role??
He was cracking at leading the line last year when Kane was out but I think his best position is in the 3 with Eriksen and Alli.

Or even Lamela if he ever gets fit??

Plus weve got academy (Edwards, etc).

My utopia is that we never have to buy in the next player as we have them waiting in the academy :)
(Or Ajax which is pretty much the same thing :))

I'd actually forgotten about him :)

I think Poch has plans for Sissoko that don't include binning him :)
Even with all the reports during transfer window there didn't seem to be any danger of him going.
He played well in Burnley game so i'm probably hopeful that he has a 2nd season blinder :)

Do you not think Winks could be a Dembele understudy?? I always assumed he was.

Do you not think Son could play that role??
He was cracking at leading the line last year when Kane was out but I think his best position is in the 3 with Eriksen and Alli.

Or even Lamela if he ever gets fit??

Plus weve got academy (Edwards, etc).

My utopia is that we never have to buy in the next player as we have them waiting in the academy :)
(Or Ajax which is pretty much the same thing :))

I think Sissoko stayed as we didn't bring a pacey winger in. I think Poch wanted Sissoko to be our Mane and whilst I want Sissoko to work out I don't think he's got the bus fare upstairs for it. I don't see too many clever things he does which is important for a team who has most of its opposition dropping deep against them.

Regarding Winksy, he'll only be Dembeles understudy if he continues to improve. He's still only a kid and I'm fascinated to see what he's going to be at 24. He can go one of two ways for me, he can kick on and become a Barca type player or become the next Ryan Mason, I really can't tell how it's going to go for him. I'd still be looking for a midfield anchor just in case. It's important at a team like Tottenham to cover all areas, just like we have with getting Aurier in even though people have high hopes for KWP.

Regarding Son, I think he's OK in away games when teams don't drop as deep, in cup games against lower league opposition and as an impact player. I like him don't get me wrong but the big teams need to be ruthless and I think he will spend the season putting pressure on players like Dele if they aren't playing well or having a bit of a cameo role. Edwards is the same as the Winks and KWP point in that he's 17 and we would be foolish to put our faith in him to come through and Lamela, I genuinely expected more from him when we signed him and whilst he is an asset to the squad, I only make him a squad player based on how long he's been out and what I had seen from him before his injury. I appreciate his qualities both defensively and attacking but I feel we should be getting someone that compliments the qualities of Eriksen and Dele more. A player such as David or Bernardo Silva would work better in a high defensive line team in my opinion

I think Sissoko stayed as we didn't bring a pacey winger in. I think Poch wanted Sissoko to be our Mane and whilst I want Sissoko to work out I don't think he's got the bus fare upstairs for it. I don't see too many clever things he does which is important for a team who has most of its opposition dropping deep against them.

I don't think we were ever in for any type of pacey winger.
I know a lot of folk wanted it but I just dont think that was the case.
I think Poch is looking at a different style using Sissoko.
Having a pacey winger would have no effect on a team dropping deep as there would be no space to run into.

Saying that i've not personally seen anything to justify this :)

Regarding Winksy, he'll only be Dembeles understudy if he continues to improve. He's still only a kid and I'm fascinated to see what he's going to be at 24. He can go one of two ways for me, he can kick on and become a Barca type player or become the next Ryan Mason, I really can't tell how it's going to go for him. I'd still be looking for a midfield anchor just in case. It's important at a team like Tottenham to cover all areas, just like we have with getting Aurier in even though people have high hopes for KWP.

Regarding Son, I think he's OK in away games when teams don't drop as deep, in cup games against lower league opposition and as an impact player. I like him don't get me wrong but the big teams need to be ruthless and I think he will spend the season putting pressure on players like Dele if they aren't playing well or having a bit of a cameo role. Edwards is the same as the Winks and KWP point in that he's 17 and we would be foolish to put our faith in him to come through and Lamela, I genuinely expected more from him when we signed him and whilst he is an asset to the squad, I only make him a squad player based on how long he's been out and what I had seen from him before his injury. I appreciate his qualities both defensively and attacking but I feel we should be getting someone that compliments the qualities of Eriksen and Dele more. A player such as David or Bernardo Silva would work better in a high defensive line team in my opinion

Totally agree. I don't want us to stop looking for that next gem i'd just rather we got them through the academy :)

I don't think we were ever in for any type of pacey winger.
I know a lot of folk wanted it but I just dont think that was the case.
I think Poch is looking at a different style using Sissoko.
Having a pacey winger would have no effect on a team dropping deep as there would be no space to run into.

Saying that i've not personally seen anything to justify this :)

Totally agree. I don't want us to stop looking for that next gem i'd just rather we got them through the academy :)

I'd love our academy to start producing proper first teamers of a quality such as King and Kane etc but the harsh reality is that only a select few ever make it. The academy works well when it comes to bringing the likes of Townsend, Bentaleb and Mason through. I hope Winksy turns into a truly beautiful little footballer but it's still too early to say if he will or not. I like his discipline so far, we'll see what he's capable of once he feels settled into the first team which I can only see happening sometime soon if Dembele gets an injury.

In Winksy, Onomoah and Edwards we have 3 players we have had come through the ranks that could get us around £30m-£35m potentially should they be unable to make the grade. Not bad going if you're able to blend that ROI with the occasional gem making it.

Compare that to a team like Huddersfield who are considering closing their academy down, it's an academy that's on the right track and one that genuinely does all it can to produce youngsters that get half a chance to make it whilst giving us a model that gives us great financial rewards for our efforts. We'll see if Winksy is able to make the grade I guess, let's hope he does

From the article:

You can tell Poch graduated from the Biesla school of scouting! :)
I seem to remember a story where Bielsa paid a visit to Poch's house late at night.
Poch was a young lad at the time and asleep in bed. Bielsa asked to see the boy's legs.
So his father took the bed covers off the boy and Bielsa said 'yep, he has footballer's legs.
He'll do for me.' (paraphrasing).
How Marcelo Bielsa proved to be the inspiration behind Mauricio Pochettino and his Tottenham team of title chasing starlets | Daily Mail Online

his conversion ratio says Son is one of the most ruthless finishers in the league so I don't know what you're talking about. and who was man of the match against city last year when we crushed them? and scored against them in the return. and had really good against other top teams too so it doesn't really make sense what you say.

I seem to remember a story where Bielsa paid a visit to Poch's house late at night.
Poch was a young lad at the time and asleep in bed. Bielsa asked to see the boy's legs.
So his father took the bed covers off the boy and Bielsa said 'yep, he has footballer's legs.
He'll do for me.' (paraphrasing).
How Marcelo Bielsa proved to be the inspiration behind Mauricio Pochettino and his Tottenham team of title chasing starlets | Daily Mail Online
That's exactly what I was referring to. ;)

McGinn is the perfect Dembele understudy

his conversion ratio says Son is one of the most ruthless finishers in the league so I don't know what you're talking about. and who was man of the match against city last year when we crushed them? and scored against them in the return. and had really good against other top teams too so it doesn't really make sense what you say.
City at home last season aside, Son has always been poor in big games.

Back
Top Bottom