Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bit surprised Sanchez not started as younger than Toby or Jan and had been playing well recently. Sanchez's problems are being bullied by big attackers but Foyth's is losing the ball in dangerous areas. It has happened far too often and he simply lost control by pushing the ball too far forward allowing a player the opportunity to knick it. He is an Argentine International and should be an asset but whilst I thought he should have stayed on, I cannot see him playing another league match for a while. Someone needs to sit him down and tell him to only bring the ball forward like this if there is good cover behind. It may have been ok if Dier or Sissoko was covering but they were not.

Such a whiny bunch. Shades of Sanchez thread too.

One week we love our players the next week we hate them.

Rather than signing Jan, I hope Foyth gets a run.

Play Sess in the advanced LW/LB position that Aurier played on the right side.

Such a whiny bunch. Shades of Sanchez thread too.

One week we love our players the next week we hate them.

Rather than signing Jan, I hope Foyth gets a run.

Play Sess in the advanced LW/LB position that Aurier played on the right side.
Not a bad idea. Aurier has played every match under Jose and not well. If Foyth is to play I think he needs to be told to play it safe and keep back and Sess told to take players on when he is just outside Southampton's box.

When you have as many mistakes as noticeably good games, you're not ready to play regularly IMO.

By that logic we'd rarely be able to field a full team because most of the squad are making mistakes regularly at the moment.

I think Foyth's mistakes are exaggerated. Granted he does make some, but I don't think it's as many as some people like to make out. He's still only 21/22 though and the only way he's going to learn is by playing. He'll never improve if he doesn't get the chance to play.
He certainly can't be any worse than Aurier so I'd like to see him given a chance.

OK, so he made a big mistake and we were punished for it. That in itself is excusable as a one off. The big concern for me is that there were a couple of moments in the Norwich game where he did well defensively running towards his own goal, got control of the ball and put himself between the ball and the player and then failed to deal with it. Either he got muscled off of it or he tried to do too much under pressure and put us in a dangerous situation. Also when he's defending in the box it always feels like he's walking a tightrope of giving away a penalty at any moment.

I wouldn't mind seeing what he was like playing RB in a role similar to Jan's LB, with Sessegnon or Rose (or even Jan) playing the more attacking Aurier role on the left. But I think that we need more confidence in our back line and midfield before he's given another run out at CB any time soon.

He’s simply not good enough for the premier league as things stand to play centre back. Either loan him out or give him a chance at right back in my opinion.

I know he’s still young but he makes so many errors that lead to goals. Sanchez isn’t the finished article but at least he looks a little bit more assured at the back.

Unfortunately he falls in to the category of recent Spurs players that have at least one ricket per game in him. Lloris, Foyth, Sanchez, Sissoko, Rose, Son. Before them, Walker. Unfortunately they're mostly defenders, if they make a mistake it leads to a goal chance.

I'm not sure whether you can coach this mentality out of someone as it stems from the absolute belief that you are better than anyone else and your skill on the ball will get you through. Unfortunately you're not - there's always someone better than you.

A shocking mistake that cost us a goal and additionally his half time substitution depriving him of 45 minutes to show what he can do.

I'm not sure he's a right back either. He's only being considered because of the poor options. Aurier or KWP.

I had hope of Foyth developing as a CB but I'm beginning to have doubt.

I still rate him, might be in the minority but there is a tidy player in there, just needs to be playing regular football, if he ain’t going to get it with us loan him out

Foyth and Sanchez are in the David Luiz mold. They think they are technical players, so they don't want to concentrate on defense, they want to be part of the attack. They also want to make a tackle every time someone gets near them, so they make rash decisions, even when it makes better sense to just stand ground (Sanchez is getting better at this, but still not good). I don't think Foyth is skillful enough to be a right back, and he doesn't have enough football sense in him to be an effective centerback in the EPL. Maybe in time, he could be an effective DM, but I think it's better to just move him on. I'd be for loaning him out; it might increase his selling value.

Foyth and Sanchez are in the David Luiz mold. They think they are technical players, so they don't want to concentrate on defense, they want to be part of the attack. They also want to make a tackle every time someone gets near them, so they make rash decisions, even when it makes better sense to just stand ground (Sanchez is getting better at this, but still not good). I don't think Foyth is skillful enough to be a right back, and he doesn't have enough football sense in him to be an effective centerback in the EPL. Maybe in time, he could be an effective DM, but I think it's better to just move him on. I'd be for loaning him out; it might increase his selling value.

Largely, I disagree with this and think Foyth can absolutely be a top class CB. But, the real reason for my response is I can see the argument made for Foyth being like Luis, but I think Sanchez is the exact opposite of both. Foyth dwindles on the ball, sanchez passes/clears the ball the second a player is somewhat near him

Largely, I disagree with this and think Foyth can absolutely be a top class CB. But, the real reason for my response is I can see the argument made for Foyth being like Luis, but I think Sanchez is the exact opposite of both. Foyth dwindles on the ball, sanchez passes/clears the ball the second a player is somewhat near him

What on earth do you see in him that is top class?

Aerial ability? Strength? Pace? Leadership? Tackling?

Sanchez/Luiz comparison is cobblers.

That’s just an incredibly one sided post, at least try to be impartial to one of our own?

He isn’t the biggest/strongest/best in the air. He is very good on the ball and has some vision with the ball. I do think his tackling is quite good, just needs to work on his judgement. i don’t think we have sufficient cover at CB for him to be loaned, but I wish we could afford to loan him. I hope we play him at RB over Aurier and let him develop.

That’s just an incredibly one sided post, at least try to be impartial to one of our own?

He isn’t the biggest/strongest/best in the air. He is very good on the ball and has some vision with the ball. I do think his tackling is quite good, just needs to work on his judgement. i don’t think we have sufficient cover at CB for him to be loaned, but I wish we could afford to loan him. I hope we play him at RB over Aurier and let him develop.

In fairness VoiceOfThePoshSeats VoiceOfThePoshSeats doesn’t like him because he’d prefer him to be much further on the hard right.

He’s actually pretty strong, is very quick, his tackling, especially standing, is also very good.
His biggest and most glaring flaw is his over confidence in his ability to dribble out of trouble, or trying to pick an eye of the needle pass. Its a recipy for disaster and results in some dreadful errors.

I’m confident Mourinho won’t bin him, but if he does I will be very disappointed. Doubt many will agree but I’ve no doubt he will be a much better center half than Sanchez in the future.

then play midfield

Back
Top Bottom