Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think he was specifically the problem yesterday. He did make mistakes as any young CB does, he also did some important work for us....especially in the first half.

I just think the rest of the team got on edge. Other players might not have trust in him yet. Breaking from experience in this game was a bad call. In hindsight if Toby really couldn't play...maybe Dier at the back with Winks in midfield.

I don't think he was specifically the problem yesterday. He did make mistakes as any young CB does, he also did some important work for us....especially in the first half.

I just think the rest of the team got on edge. Other players might not have trust in him yet. Breaking from experience in this game was a bad call. In hindsight if Toby really couldn't play...maybe Dier at the back with Winks in midfield.

Dier at the back? The guy who failed to get close to Lacazette at the third and threw himself in stupidly causing the fourth? That Eric Dier?

What part of Foyth being young causes Jan to punch away the ball giving them a goal head start, then spend the next 70 minutes wandering around the field like a drunk chasing a balloon in a hurricane?

Because we’ve erased from our collective memory Toby’s exasperating performance against PSV.

My take on Aurier and Foyth (for what it's worth) is that Aurier was bollocking Foyth for not going with the runner, whoever that was.
Yes, Aurier fucked up with his control, but Foyth had started to track back with the runner and when he thought that Aurier was getting the ball, Foyth stopped.
This, of course meant that the runner was in loads of space.
Aurier fucked up with his control, and letting the ball through.
Aurier fucked up with the tackle, giving away a free kick.
Foyth fucked up by stopping and not going with the runner.
Aurier (if this was the case) was right to bollock Foyth.
Foyth was much better than Aurier during the match.

My take on Aurier and Foyth (for what it's worth) is that Aurier was bollocking Foyth for not going with the runner, whoever that was.
Yes, Aurier fucked up with his control, but Foyth had started to track back with the runner and when he thought that Aurier was getting the ball, Foyth stopped.
This, of course meant that the runner was in loads of space.
Aurier fucked up with his control, and letting the ball through.
Aurier fucked up with the tackle, giving away a free kick.
Foyth fucked up by stopping and not going with the runner.
Aurier (if this was the case) was right to bollock Foyth.
Foyth was much better than Aurier during the match.

Agree with that but best solution would have been for Aurier to have a quiet word with Foyth
Not to publicly berate him

Still feel deflated after that horror show

Watched it in a pub in Camden Town and had to share a carriage on the train back to Richmond with my daughter and numerous Scum tossers!!

Long journey I can tell you as I had to be on my best behaviour

They really are a bunch of wankers mostly called ‘Tarquin’!

Agree with that but best solution would have been for Aurier to have a quiet word with Foyth
Not to publicly berate him

Still feel deflated after that horror show

Watched it in a pub in Camden Town and had to share a carriage on the train back to Richmond with my daughter and numerous Scum tossers!!

Long journey I can tell you as I had to be on my best behaviour

They really are a bunch of wankers mostly called ‘Tarquin’!
As Foyth is now playing with the big boys (deservedly so), he's going to get that (berating) going forward, if he messes up.

Both of us are old cunts, (well you're older I think, but never mind,) and we grew up seeing players bollocked by their team mates.
To me it's an education thing and toughening up process, and he will definitely remember the bollocking more than a quiet word.
Of course it depends on an individuals mentality on whether they can accept a bollocking and learn from it, or go into their shell and hide in the next game. From what I've seen of Foyth, he seems a very strong character. He gave away 2 pens in one game, the next game he was MOTM for me.
I'm not worried about it in the least.

IMO the players today are too mollycoddled and other players/managers are afraid to have a go at them in case they get upset, the poor little darlings.

Told you I was an old cunt

I think Foyth will be good for us but he has a lot to learn which is to be expected
I just thought that throwing him in for a NLD was a step too far and the bollocking could have gone the other way as Aurier didn’t exactly cover himself with glory

Bottom line is that I just hate losing to these cunts!!

I think they call it a “baptism of fire”.
He will learn from it & get stronger in the coming games when he is picked. He knows the level that is required, as does Poch. I can’t see him picking someone he didn’t 100% believe was ready.
He wasn’t the worst player on the pitch by a long way. That accolade goes (sadly) to Jan.
I still don’t think there was too much wrong with the team selection. The formation was horrible in the first 20 mins, but Poch changed it up & it needed shaking up again after they equalised. But as a starting XI, only Jan in for Toby from the week before when we absolutely mauled the chavs I think...the selection was not bad.

Players must shout at each other IMO.

You need everyone accountable. This is the highest level, and yesterday was a premier league derby. If you fuck up you will get shouted at.

If you're the type who doesn't react well to that then professional football is probably not your thing.

That being said I think Foyth is and will be fine with it. He will be doing the same to another player one day. I remember Poch saying Mason and Fazio arguing made him so happy.

Also remember I think Gary Neville saying that in his time everyone was accountable no matter what. It's healthy and says good things about the culture in the dressing room.

Foyth is gona make mistakes. It's natural. My only hope is that we get to enjoy the finished product one day rather than perfect players only for other teams to cherry pick (those days are going).

I think Foyth will go far personally.

Players must shout at each other IMO.

You need everyone accountable. This is the highest level, and yesterday was a premier league derby. If you fuck up you will get shouted at.

If you're the type who doesn't react well to that then professional football is probably not your thing.

That being said I think Foyth is and will be fine with it. He will be doing the same to another player one day. I remember Poch saying Mason and Fazio arguing made him so happy.

Also remember I think Gary Neville saying that in his time everyone was accountable no matter what. It's healthy and says good things about the culture in the dressing room.

Foyth is gona make mistakes. It's natural. My only hope is that we get to enjoy the finished product one day rather than perfect players only for other teams to cherry pick (those days are going).

I think Foyth will go far personally.

A great example happened in the recent match between Germany and the Netherlands. VVD was out of position (not for the first time) 19 year old Matthijs De Ligt gave his captain an absolute bollocking, caught on camera.

The problem is that Hugo sees what is going on and should be getting instructions across to the defenders in front of him. Yes in a big crowd it will be difficult to hear, but it is doable.

Got himself a cool little scar on his face now after his injury on international duty.

I hereby propose we nickname him The Babyfaced Brawler

So so so so good on the ball.

I think his inexperience mixed with his style of defending is always going to see him be a bit risky and he'll give us a few heart attacks but he's so classy on the ball.

Once he's experienced and played consistently, he's going to be even better. Big fan.

So so so so good on the ball.

I think his inexperience mixed with his style of defending is always going to see him be a bit risky and he'll give us a few heart attacks but he's so classy on the ball.

Once he's experienced and played consistently, he's going to be even better. Big fan.

I love him. I’m a sucker for an elegant mover and Juans got feet that would make Bruce Forsyth blush.

He’s our future Rolls Royce. Get that grit into full blown battle mode and he’ll be a favourite of mine for years to come

I love him. I’m a sucker for an elegant mover and Juans got feet that would make Bruce Forsyth blush.

He’s our future Rolls Royce. Get that grit into full blown battle mode and he’ll be a favourite of mine for years to come
Good ball playing defenders are priceless as every modern teams want to play out from the back. If making some mistakes along the way can turn Juan into another John Stones in a couple of years then I think good deal

Juan Foyth has finally made his mark at Tottenham Hotspur but it took some time after arriving from Estudiantes in 2017.

The young defender, who turns 21 this month, saw little in the way of playing time in his first season at the club as he adapted to English football, playing a handful of cup matches.

He also found himself left out of Spurs' Champions League squad for the knockout stages that season and the group stages this one due to Tottenham's issues with having too many 'non-locally trained' players.

There was talk of a loan deal to Championship side Leeds United, but injuries to Jan Vertonghen, Davinson Sanchez and Eric Dier handed Foyth his chance and Foyth has racked up the Premier League appearances, including scoring the winner at Crystal Palace.

He is set to start in defence for Tottenham's FA Cup third round clash at League Two side Tranmere Rovers on Friday and he has looked back to those early days at the club in August 2017, when he turned down a move to PSG to sign for the north London outfit.

"It's been a really good first 16 months for me. I'm really happy to be here. The staff and my team-mates are good people so I've been enjoying every day, every moment I have here," he said in an interview in Spurs' match day programme.

"I'm here because this is a big club. We have a lot of strong players and the staff have great plans for every players - that was a big factor in why I signed for Spurs.

"When I arrived I was very nervous because one day I was playing FIFA at home and the next I was training with the likes of Harry Kane and Dele Alli, so it was a big change for me.

0_GettyImages-1074921972.jpg

Juan Foyth with Toby Alderweireld
"My new team-mates have had a big impact though and they helped me a lot. I might have been nervous initially, but they received me well which gave me a lot of confidence and meant I could enjoy my time."

He added: "My family also helped me a lot ni the move. My dad, for example, is still living with me here so he had helped me massively. The rest of my family comes across to England to see me quite often so that's really great as well.

"So moving here was a great moment for me. Playing in the Premier League was always my dream so to get the chance to come here was great."

Foyth made his debut for the club last season against Barnsley in the Carabao Cup last season and he feels he has come a long way since then.

"I think I was a different player at that time to what I am now," he said. "I wasn't really fully prepared to play in the Premier League back then but after training extensively with players like Davinson, Jan and Toby [Alderweireld] and against such quality forward players that we have here, I think I have learned a lot in that time."

Foyth is now a full Argentina international and after overcoming a frustrating injury in pre-season the defender's season has seen him make big strides.
"The last few months have been incredible for me," he admitted. "I've really enjoyed it recently, but I can't stop. I have to keep working and keep improving every day.

"I think I have improved a lot in the time I have been here. It was a good decision I feel, to come here. I've got a great bond with my team-mates and I'm enjoying every moment here."

Juan Foyth explains why he was so nervous when he first arrived at Spurs

Almost looked even better in a back three.

Ability to run forward into midfield and distribute is a big part of his game. I honestly see us moving to perhaps a back three next season with Alderweireld gone and utilising Sanchez and Foyth alongside Vertoinghen.

Back
Top Bottom