Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't see how we have a £50m hole at CB, that's for sure....

At that kind of price (likely rising if he's continues to perform this year) we would need to be hell-bent on 3CBs and pretty much resign ourselves to waving goodby to Jan (as well as Toby) in the same window.... "A bird in the hand" as they say .... We are beautifully set to transition on from the Belgian lads whether they decide to leave or simply wind down here as vets.

we 3 lads that are right sided CB's Toby, Davidson, & Foyth, but only Jan on the left side so we do need to spend money on a Left sided CB
Toby has been there the last few weeks and doing ok, but its not his position, before that Toby & Davidson did one half of each game on the left, the other half on the right, but Davidson would always come across towards the right when he should be Left CB

Looks happy and humble.... But I think he'll be a double-hard bastard when the cause arises.

(Think's back to his admirable handling of Andy Carrol's thuggy tactics and few other brave interceptions he's made.)
With the upcoming 'london/Kent' derbies coming up I hope him and coco can keep their heads on, great to see us having players who are prepared to put it about, really it is, especially after years with no 'hardmen' but coco especially has the red mist like no other and after leaving the pitch covered in blood tonight, you feel somone is going to pay for that!! Just make sure you stay on the pitch boys!!!!

Seriously, people harp on about de Ligt but it's pointless going out and splashing £50,000,000 on him when we have Foyth. Not saying he is on the same level but he has a very high ceiling himself and he is ours!

Is it though ? :D

I mean I am also very happy with Foyth progess as of late. But that does not mean we should not also chase one of the best talents in the world in the position!

Let's face it, Jan and Toby will be here max 3 more seasons. Then we have Foyth and Sanchez... I really do not believe that CCV will ever become starting CB for Spurs. Then we have Dier who I am not so sure in the long term future in CB position.

Why not going for de Ligt ?

I went to see Benfica vs Ajax game during the week. As the game was quite scrappy and slow paced, I kept my eye on de Ligt for the 2nd half (conviniently enough he played right in front of me). And whatta player this bloke is!!! Oozes class. Calm. At times he took the game building on himself. He was extremely composed. Never looked to get out of 3rd gear. Also he was the captain. All that while -
- being 19
- playing in CL group stage
- at away game (with rather hostile environment)

... all that being said he will go to some richer club in the summer... just wanted to say that Foyth progress should not mean dropping interest in de Ligt. I'd be totally fine paying not only 50 mil for him but 60 and even more... he is worth easily as much as VVD.

I mean I am also very happy with Foyth progess as of late. But that does not mean we should not also chase one of the best talents in the world in the position!

Let's face it, Jan and Toby will be here max 3 more seasons. Then we have Foyth and Sanchez... I really do not believe that CCV will ever become starting CB for Spurs. Then we have Dier who I am not so sure in the long term future in CB position.

I went to see Benfica vs Ajax game during the week. As the game was quite scrappy and slow paced, I kept my eye on de Ligt for the 2nd half (conviniently enough he played right in front of me). And whatta player this bloke is!!! Oozes class. Calm. At times he took the game building on himself. He was extremely composed. Never looked to get out of 3rd gear. Also he was the captain. All that while -
- being 19

... all that being said he will go to some richer club in the summer... just wanted to say that Foyth progress should not mean dropping interest in de Ligt. I'd be totally fine paying not only 50 mil for him but 60 and even more... he is worth easily as much as VVD.

Cos a) if he's that good he's not gonna wanna sit and wait for "3 years" until TA & JV leave; stunting his own personal development in the process and b) in the meantime we'll need to direct the £50m elsewhere.

We have 4 international class CBs + Dier in reserve.... The focus now need to be the transition to our young lads, not watering down their chance of game time. Dav in particular represents a big investment for us; we need to nurture him carefully.

- being 19

Anyone who doesn't want De Ligt is mental, and I'm not saying Totti is mental, I respect hi/her massively.

But De Ligt is the best in the World in defence and the deal should have been struck when we signed Dav, If he goes to Juve, the CL is their's for the taking.

Cos a) if he's that good he's not gonna wanna sit and wait for "3 years" until TA & JV leave; stunting his own personal development in the process and b) in the meantime we'll need to direct the £50m elsewhere.

We have 4 international class CBs + Dier in reserve.... The focus now need to be the transition to our young lads, not watering down their chance of game time. Dav in particular represents a big investment for us; we need to nurture him carefully.

Yea, dont agree with you the slightest on that.

We are a football club and if there is a chance to buy possbily best player (of his position) of his generation, then we should absolutely go for it. He would not have to "wait for 3 years" - this was just estimation of longest time they willl stay. Might very well be that either of them want to move earlier. Might happen that new and upcoming players (Sanchez, Foyth, de Ligt) overtake them and club decides to sell them. Whaterver might happen.

Dav was big investment, but in the case where we'd would buy de Ligt that does not mean that Sanchez would not get any more playing time. There is more than 1 place for CB in a good squad. Yet, if it would happen that he would be the one falling to bottom of pecking order, then we'd have no problem recouping his cost anyway.

I mean, I am not saying that CB is currently our nr 1 priority - no. Midfield is the area that needs the improvement the most. But few things can be addressed at the same time, and it is a fact that Jan and Toby will not play forever and only 2 CBs (Sanchez, Foyth) is not enough for club like Spurs. And once more, if there is even slightest chance to buy best CB of his generation, then we could at least try.

I'm confused.

Firstly Jan and Toby wouldn't be first choice CHs ahad of De Ligt, he's a marquee signing that could walk into any team in the World as a first choice pick. The arrival of De Ligt would be the end of Toby at Spurs and see Jan drop to the bench.
Secondly you say the focus is on youth and their development....yet you think a 19 year old doesn't fit into that? And if you want to nuture Dav, what better way than with someone he has already got experience playing with.

Moot point because it looks as if we have missed the boat on De Ligt.

De Ligt will be the best centre half in the world very soon, the fee Ajax will demand plus the clubs that will be in for him means we've missed the boat by a looong way IMV. It's pointless talking about him.
If/when Toby leaves, we should focus our attention on getting a left footed centre half as understudy to Jan. Foyth and Davinson have the right side sorted for years to come.

De Ligt will be the best centre half in the world very soon, the fee Ajax will demand plus the clubs that will be in for him means we've missed the boat by a looong way IMV. It's pointless talking about him.
If/when Toby leaves, we should focus our attention on getting a left footed centre half as understudy to Jan. Foyth and Davinson have the right side sorted for years to come.

The statement his signing would make would be worth whatever money is paid out on him and would scream out our ambition, yes a left sided defender would be preferential, but the club needs to decide. Do we go on to the next level and become big players at the top table? Or do we settle for "Ah well it was fun while it lasted and we could have done better but never mind we are run well"?

Or do we keep signing "good young players with potential" and hope that all the big teams have another "Leicester" season when we actually get into position and stay the course? And do we want to make it in Europe or be remembered for some good one off results?

No point the great new stadium if it doesnt change the fortunes on the pitch.

The statement his signing would make would be worth whatever money is paid out on him and would scream out our ambition, yes a left sided defender would be preferential, but the club needs to decide. Do we go on to the next level and become big players at the top table? Or do we settle for "Ah well it was fun while it lasted and we could have done better but never mind we are run well"?

Or do we keep signing "good young players with potential" and hope that all the big teams have another "Leicester" season when we actually get into position and stay the course? And do we want to make it in Europe or be remembered for some good one off results?

No point the great new stadium if it doesnt change the fortunes on the pitch.
Of course it would, and if we did manage to sign him I'd be dancing in the streets, but even if we agreed a monster fee with Ajax then some team like Barca or Chelsea would just swoop in and nab him just to make sure nobody else could. It's just too obvious how good he's going to become for them not to.
I do agree with your post on the whole though, and there are players out there who we should and could be competing for that can take us up a level without a doubt.

Far from guaranteed that De Ligt will become the best CB in the world. He is great but a lot can happen.

We should keep an eye on young CB's from Belgium: Bornauw from Anderlecht and Vanheusdwn from Standard. They both seem class.

Far from guaranteed that De Ligt will become the best CB in the world. He is great but a lot can happen.

We should keep an eye on young CB's from Belgium: Bornauw from Anderlecht and Vanheusdwn from Standard. They both seem class.
The one thing about De Ligt that worries me is that he has already picked up one knee injury. Hopefully it is just a minor one and doesn't come back to haunt him later in his career

I remember when people thought 19 year old PSG captain Mamadou Sakho would be the best centre back in the world.

8 years later, he's on the losing team and outshone by Juan Foyth. Things can happen. Like signing for Liverpool.

Last edited:
I know I shouldn't let this annoy me, but it does...

Just read Garth's Team of the Week thing on the BBC, and saw this:
Did you know? Juan Foyth is the third Argentine player to score for Spurs in the Premier League,
after Erik Lamela and Mauricio Taricco.
Nice stat, but something bugs me... call me pedantic, but (at first) I missed the 'in the Premier League' bit and was all ready to comment on the glaring omissions that were Ossie & Ricky...

...then I re-read it, and realised what stat they were referring to... and then I got all irate at the modern obsession with airbrushing History, just in order to deliver a Premier League-centric stat!

Why not just say Foyth is the 5th* Argentinian player to score for Spurs; after Lamela, Taricco, Ardiles & Villa?
...and in fact, continues the stat that all five of Spurs' Argentinian players have now scored for us!

What, are they worried they're gonna offend some Millennials 'cos they're too young to understand the reference?

*Plus, "Foyth is the fifth" has a nice ring to it!

Last edited:
Anyone who doesn't want De Ligt is mental, and I'm not saying Totti is mental, I respect hi/her massively.

But De Ligt is the best in the World in defence and the deal should have been struck when we signed Dav, If he goes to Juve, the CL is their's for the taking.

Yea, dont agree with you the slightest on that.

We are a football club and if there is a chance to buy possbily best player (of his position) of his generation, then we should absolutely go for it. He would not have to "wait for 3 years" - this was just estimation of longest time they willl stay. Might very well be that either of them want to move earlier. Might happen that new and upcoming players (Sanchez, Foyth, de Ligt) overtake them and club decides to sell them. Whaterver might happen.

Dav was big investment, but in the case where we'd would buy de Ligt that does not mean that Sanchez would not get any more playing time. There is more than 1 place for CB in a good squad. Yet, if it would happen that he would be the one falling to bottom of pecking order, then we'd have no problem recouping his cost anyway.

I mean, I am not saying that CB is currently our nr 1 priority - no. Midfield is the area that needs the improvement the most. But few things can be addressed at the same time, and it is a fact that Jan and Toby will not play forever and only 2 CBs (Sanchez, Foyth) is not enough for club like Spurs. And once more, if there is even slightest chance to buy best CB of his generation, then we could at least try.

I hear what you and Reidy Reidy are saying.... In an ideal world, of course i want the best in every position (inc. bench).... But there's a balance dictated by internal and external factors.... i.e. Size of our budget, other more urgent requirements in other positions + competition for his signature (likely from richer and more glamorous options... As noted by Reidy Reidy ; go to (eg) Juve and he could potentially win the CL!).

Also... "Better than VVD" = Price-tag will presumably reflect that.

I hear what you and Reidy Reidy are saying.... In an ideal world, of course i want the best in every position (inc. bench).... But there's a balance dictated by internal and external factors.... i.e. Size of our budget, other more urgent requirements in other positions + competition for his signature (likely from richer and more glamorous options... As noted by Reidy Reidy ; go to (eg) Juve and he could potentially win the CL!).

Also... "Better than VVD" = Price-tag will presumably reflect that.

I think the VVD price tag is a total one off caused by Liverpool's desperation and behaviour towards Southampton in tapping the player up.

I think the VVD price tag is a total one off caused by Liverpool's desperation and behaviour towards Southampton in tapping the player up.

I don't see how that would be the case to any significant, contradiction worthy extent...

60m was allegedly knocked back by Ajax last window... De Ligt will be a year more developed and experienced.... His stock rises... How much less than VVD could one logically predict?

Feel free to throw a number at me...

I don't see how that would be the case to any significant, contradiction worthy extent...

60m was allegedly knocked back by Ajax last window... De Ligt will be a year more developed and experienced.... His stock rises... How much less than VVD could one logically predict?

Feel free to throw a number at me...

He will be up there. Maybe not VVD money as he was proven in the PL, but up there. If Toby was believed to be going for 50+ then De Ligt will be up there since he is so young.

That being said I think we are strong with Juan, Sanchez, Dier.

Back
Top Bottom