Joshua Onomah

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You're more informed than me but didn't he start off well at Villa with the fans praising him only to fall away and the fans started getting on his back. It all went a bit meh there after a good start.
Correct. He started out as MOTM for many fans and then was benched for a great portion of the season. Came on a bit towards the end.

If Josh gets a full year of CM action and gets more confident in his abilities then we have a really nice player on our hands.

It’s mental for Josh. Has everything in his locker sans an amazing shot from outside the box. But his future isn’t as a AM. Ideally suited in a CM2 or CM3 where quick football is played.
Agree it's all about the mental side for him now.

He will be a pro-footballer that much is a given. Whether he can make it at Spurs is another. I'm a big fan of his, he was a joy to watch in our academy. Talented lad.

If Josh gets a full year of CM action and gets more confident in his abilities then we have a really nice player on our hands.

It’s mental for Josh. Has everything in his locker sans an amazing shot from outside the box. But his future isn’t as a AM. Ideally suited in a CM2 or CM3 where quick football is played.
I'm not sure a good season there is enough to secure a future with us. We have KWP who seems excellent but yet we bought Aurier. I think Poch is looking for experienced players.

You're more informed than me but didn't he start off well at Villa with the fans praising him only to fall away and the fans started getting on his back. It all went a bit meh there after a good start.

Biggest problem at Villa was he wasn't playing consistently in his favoured position. Looks to be playing in the deeper central midfield role this year for Wednesday - which will suit his career going forward.

Problem with Aston Villa last season is Bruce didn't ever seem to sort out who his 'best' starting X1 was and as a consequence Villa as a whole never looked great, so difficult for a 20 year old to stand out - Bruce even played Josh as a striker for for a few games.

Despite that Onomah got 20 starts and almost 2,000 minutes at Aston Villa which is quite a lot for a 20 year old (few other 20 year olds will have played more in the Championship) so overall a decent season for him in the championship. And as with most players he'd have wished to play better, - Josh Onomah - History gave him a 6.74/10 which is a respectable score for a 20 year old.

I'm not sure a good season there is enough to secure a future with us. We have KWP who seems excellent but yet we bought Aurier. I think Poch is looking for experienced players.

True - problem is players like Aurier still need quote a lot of coaching to get rid of bad habits (such as his throw ins) to get to be a decent 7/10 player, and that amount of coaching is probably no different to the amount that a KWP needed to get to a similar level. And end result has been we have too many overseas trained players in the squad so cannot register the likes of Foyth in CL squad and too few 'home grown (despite the number of s we sent to WC).

That may well be one reason I think why Poch mentioned youth at the start of the season (and another reason being I think he was quite impressed by the likes of Skipp in US pre-season tour)

Not helped by Bruce deciding to revert to a 1970's tactical blue print that completely by-passed the midfield, which pretty much rendered Onomah redundant.

Didn't get on against Villa today. I hope he does get regular minutes and comes back to us competent enough to be a Spurs player. I would absolutely love to look at our midfield in 5 years time and see Josh, Winksy, Amos, Skipp and Marsh all in there competing for the places.

Bit worrying that after a supposed great game during the week for Wednesday he couldn't even get off the bench today, let alone start the game.

Maybe he's not drinking enough milk!?

Didn't get on against Villa today. I hope he does get regular minutes and comes back to us competent enough to be a Spurs player. I would absolutely love to look at our midfield in 5 years time and see Josh, Winksy, Amos, Skipp and Marsh all in there competing for the places.

Strange he didn't go on loan. Same age as Onomah. Not sure what he's going to get anymore playing U23.

Personally I think Poch has kept hold of him this season in case he needs to use him.

Hard to see where that will come. Wanyama's not getting a look in. I suspect young Amos will be twiddling his thumbs to January where he'll get a loan.

I'd love nothing more than more academy lads to get a chance but the pathway doesn't appear to be there anymore.

No minutes tonight for Wednesday against Leeds. Must be disheartening to go on loan and not get played.
Agree with the sentiment. And football is about opinions. However there is a point where you need to step up maybe ? His loan record is pretty inconsistent.

Starting to look more and more likely that Onomah isn't going to fulfil his early promise.

Sadly it happens. Guy would have been bigger than most in his age group when coming through youth football, therefore allowed to dominate games. I said as much during the U20 World Cup in which he regularly dominated the smaller players of Venezuela, Argentina etc.

Not sure what fully happened to make him fall out of favour with Pochettino but after a slightly average loan at Aston Villa and now a loan which has seen him barely get a look in after four games, it's hard to see how he'll make it at Tottenham.

He'll be 22 years old next summer when he's back from his loan which is by no means old (Younger than Winks and Dele) but is his development really going to be any better training with a Championship club and barely playing than training with Champions League level players and barely playing (but atleast easier to impress) ?

Starting to look more and more likely that Onomah isn't going to fulfil his early promise.

Sadly it happens. Guy would have been bigger than most in his age group when coming through youth football, therefore allowed to dominate games. I said as much during the U20 World Cup in which he regularly dominated the smaller players of Venezuela, Argentina etc.

Not sure what fully happened to make him fall out of favour with Pochettino but after a slightly average loan at Aston Villa and now a loan which has seen him barely get a look in after four games, it's hard to see how he'll make it at Tottenham.

He'll be 22 years old next summer when he's back from his loan which is by no means old (Younger than Winks and Dele) but is his development really going to be any better training with a Championship club and barely playing than training with Champions League level players and barely playing (but atleast easier to impress) ?

He definitely wouldn't be the first kid to have shitty loans and still make it. Mason couldn't even get on the pitch for Lorient, Kane was laughed at by Leicester fans. But it's

I just don't understand why he wasn't given a single minute as a CM in the three years he was with the first team. There were games where we were 3/4-0 up with 30 minutes to go and he was left sat on the bench. Then when he was given games it was always as a wide AM. The final kick in the nuts from Pochettino was after he won the WC, taking both him and TOB on tour but giving TOB game time as a CM and not Onomah.

I know he's got facets of his game that need to develop, what kid doesn't, but to have spent the last 2 and a bit seasons watching fucking Sissoko trap a ball further than Aaron Lennon can kick it, fuckbumble around our midfield while Onomah hasn't been given a single minute in his preferred CM position really fucks me off. Ultimately, he might not prove to be up to it, but Sissoko sure as shit isn't, we could have saved 30m plus 15m wages and be no worse off.

He definitely wouldn't be the first kid to have shitty loans and still make it. Mason couldn't even get on the pitch for Lorient, Kane was laughed at by Leicester fans. But it's

I just don't understand why he wasn't given a single minute as a CM in the three years he was with the first team. There were games where we were 3/4-0 up with 30 minutes to go and he was left sat on the bench. Then when he was given games it was always as a wide AM. The final kick in the nuts from Pochettino was after he won the WC, taking both him and TOB on tour but giving TOB game time as a CM and not Onomah.

I know he's got facets of his game that need to develop, what kid doesn't, but to have spent the last 2 and a bit seasons watching fucking Sissoko trap a ball further than Aaron Lennon can kick it, fuckbumble around our midfield while Onomah hasn't been given a single minute in his preferred CM position really fucks me off. Ultimately, he might not prove to be up to it, but Sissoko sure as shit isn't, we could have saved 30m plus 15m wages and be no worse off.

You're not wrong - but Kane and Mason were both trusted by Pochettino almost instantly. Any other manager could have been likely to get rid of them. Mason more so than Kane. Onomah HAD Poch's trust, he was given plenty of minutes when coming off the bench, big starts against Dortmund in the Europa League etc. and it's dwindled into what will end up being two disappointing loans.

It's strange he was never given game time in central midfield, especially as he trusted Mason, Bentaleb AND Winks there within the last 4 years - but Poch sees him more than we do in training. I've never really been impressed with Onomah's passing and I think Mason, Bentaleb and Winks all probably dominate him in that aspect, but it can't be for that reason as Sissoko has been given plenty of game time there over the last few seasons. (Even though Sissoko is better than Onomah)

I just think he's pissed Pochettino off in some way. Heard many rumours regarding it in the past - but it's the only thing that makes sense. At the end of the day, we've seen him dominate 5 ft nothings in youth football. He could well be getting bossed in training when playing there, could be he doesn't turn quickly enough when receiving his ball with back to goal. No idea.

But at the end of the day, when he's barely getting Level 2 football in his "favoured" position, it's starting to look like Pochettino is probably right.

Edit -

Though just seen Bannan will miss the Wednesday game in the week so maybe Onomah will get a central midfield spot and impress.

Last edited:
Played the first 82 mins of Sheffield Wednesday's game yesterday with an assist for the first goal, being subbed when they were 2-0 up, and arguably was the reason why they conceded 2 after he was subbed to draw 2-2.

Might be good for his confidence and also good for him getting more starts.

as I said my lad goes to watch Wednesday and he looks a good player in that league, maybe a season at Wednesday then 1/2 season at lower half of EPL, will get him up to the level we need

Played the first 82 mins of Sheffield Wednesday's game yesterday with an assist for the first goal, being subbed when they were 2-0 up, and arguably was the reason why they conceded 2 after he was subbed to draw 2-2.

Might be good for his confidence and also good for him getting more starts.

Had to come off after 82 mins due to injury. Thoughts on him after the match from Sheffield Wednesday supporters Onomah

Back
Top Bottom