Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spurs fans should realise Jose is trying to change the way we play.
The team was used to play Poch's way (philosophy), which was keep the ball, don't lose the ball to the opponent, side way backward passes which we were so fed up. That's all gone now.
But Jose can not impose his style of play in 2 months, it takes time plus needs the personnel. I can see at least 2 senior established players dropped or even sold this summer as don't fall in manager's plans. The team is not a robot to change the software or a push button switch from Poch mode to Jose mode. Jose Knows he is short of 3 /4 players to impose his methods.
Patience is the keyword, the future is bright.

The team was used to play Poch's way (philosophy), which was keep the ball, don't lose the ball to the opponent, side way backward passes which we were so fed up. That's all gone now.
But Jose can not impose his style of play in 2 months, it takes time plus needs the personnel. I can see at least 2 senior established players dropped or even sold this summer as don't fall in manager's plans. The team is not a robot to change the software or a push button switch from Poch mode to Jose mode. Jose Knows he is short of 3 /4 players to impose his methods.
Changing of philosophy may take a bit longer but drilling a team to defend better can be done in a shorter time frame.

If his style of play is to have two banks of four and hoofing long balls then I dont have to accept anything.

I wasnt fed up with the passing. Tottenham have always been a passing team, push and run, flair players , great football.

His serving up a load of shit. Somehow his managed to convince some that we have to park the bus at home to the third place team in the Bundesliga but not me.

That was one of the most depressing games I've ever seen my club play. Despite what he would have you believe we have some really good players. Poor hard done by jose brought on a pair of subs last night that cost us 90 million quid. I remember seeing us lose 4-0 at home to a shit Newcastle side , I've seen the scum turn us over countless times but never have I felt as down last night as the supposed best manager in the world turned us into that load of shit. And this is seemingly it now. He doesnt trust the players so his gonna serve up the shortest football imaginable until he either gets the sack of forces levy to change the whole team.

He has a team full of internationals. Yes the squad had reached the end of its cycle but there are still some brilliant football players in there.

It was turgid dog shit from a man who has turned into a Portuguese david Moyes.

So we have no strikers. But he was playing like this when son was in the team. Hell all he seemingly wanted kane for was to bulldoze his way through.

If you're that desperate for a trophy then that's your peorogative but I dont accept it , dont want it and dont think he is half the manager that he once was.

I think that is a fair point. I have watched a good bit of RBL this season, and I could not get excited about half of their regular starters. But they are very well-drilled. They lack creativity in the middle of the park, IMO, and are not uncomfortable with the idea of playing a more reactive game, as they did against Bayern just a couple of weeks ago.

Even Southampton have blown us out of the water with their work rate in recent times. We have some very good players, but we have become very poor at the nuts-and-bolts stuff (pressing, counterpressing and squeezing up when we get the chance). We have a few highly overrated players and an injury/fitness crisis from hell.

Just on the issue of the reluctance of our defensive line to push up at times (and you can see the frustration of some of our attacking players in relation to this), why do you think our back four are reluctant to do this? I think one reason is that only Sanchez has recovery pace. But maybe they don't trust the midfield not to leave them exposed, too? Is there anything else?
Naglesmann is on record somewhere saying that he wouldn't have played that way against Bayern last year (if he were in charge then). He said that he copied what Liverpool have done recently (they too have changed their style in the past 1.5 seasons) by learning to manage games better, rather than go balls out and press, press, press.

To answer the question you pose I honestly don't know why, because I honestly have no idea what we are trying to play like. We are a total clusterfuck, this is just like watching Tim Sherwood's Spurs. There is no coordinated pressing, no pressure on the ball in key areas when the oppo are on the ball. We don't smother the opposition in the way that Jose is famed for. If we are counter-attacking we simply haven't got a clue what we are doing when we have a numerical overload counter-attack.

I agree with your observation on our defence, put simply it's risk-averse. When Sanchez first joined us it was clear how we used him, as we still pushed up with a very highline and Sanchez was there to deal with the ball played over or through into the space behind, it's high-risk football but a calculated one. I don't think Jose is comfortable with this level of risk. This results in a less than compact team with spaces all over the shop between defence and forwards and the oppo exploit these space with ease (just look what Villa did!), then there is a knock-on effect that these spaces make it so hard for the midfield to cover ad they also get easily bypassed.

If his style of play is to have two banks of four and hoofing long balls then I dont have to accept anything.

I wasnt fed up with the passing. Tottenham have always been a passing team, push and run, flair players , great football.

His serving up a load of shit. Somehow his managed to convince some that we have to park the bus at home to the third place team in the Bundesliga but not me.

That was one of the most depressing games I've ever seen my club play. Despite what he would have you believe we have some really good players. Poor hard done by jose brought on a pair of subs last night that cost us 90 million quid. I remember seeing us lose 4-0 at home to a shit Newcastle side , I've seen the scum turn us over countless times but never have I felt as down last night as the supposed best manager in the world turned us into that load of shit. And this is seemingly it now. He doesnt trust the players so his gonna serve up the shortest football imaginable until he either gets the sack of forces levy to change the whole team.

He has a team full of internationals. Yes the squad had reached the end of its cycle but there are still some brilliant football players in there.

It was turgid dog shit from a man who has turned into a Portuguese david Moyes.

So we have no strikers. But he was playing like this when son was in the team. Hell all he seemingly wanted kane for was to bulldoze his way through.

If you're that desperate for a trophy then that's your peorogative but I dont accept it , dont want it and dont think he is half the manager that he once was.
I see, seems you enjoyed Bayern game few months ago and the CL final too.

Son is not a striker to start with plus he is not Jose type striker even if he was. We don't have a striker, remember.

Any new manager needs few transfer windows, judge him after summer TW.

Playing flair without trophies is a failure. Wining trophies no matter how you play is success.

Yes he brought in 90m pair of subs but he took of 80m plus pair, so what! You would have said the same thing if he had done the other way round.

I am really shocked Spurs fans questioning the most successful football manager around today, he has won trophies where ever he has been. Give him time.

Last edited:
I agree with your observation on our defence, put simply it's risk-averse. When Sanchez first joined us it was clear how we used him, as we still pushed up with a very highline and Sanchez was there to deal with the ball played over or through into the space behind, it's high-risk football but a calculated one. I don't think Jose is comfortable with this level of risk. This results in a less than compact team with spaces all over the shop between defence and forwards and the oppo exploit these space with ease (just look what Villa did!), then there is a knock-on effect that these spaces make it so hard for the midfield to cover ad they also get easily bypassed.
I don't think the team is following instructions properly, Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 . The reason I say this is because I see our midfielders and forwards waving their arms around in frustration over the reluctance/failure of the defensive and midfield lines to squeeze up. If our forwards are bypassed by the opposition, they often turn around to find that their team mates do not have their back; they are on the retreat/miles behind, and the team is more or less broken into 2 parts.

reminded me of Ajax at home. Do you blame Jose for that?

Leipzig had significantly more shots and possession than Ajax ever did. Leipzig had about 3 shots on the first minute or two.

The Ajax match wasn't typical of the Poch era, his teams played some fantastic football and got many plaudits.

The sad thing for me is that Tottenham is becoming a by word for boring, out dated defensive football under Mourinho. There's been absolute contempt written and spoken about the style of football we played. It's totally at odds with the direction the club should be going. We've built this 1bn new stadium just to play like fucking Burnley.

He'll probably be gone by Xmas with us languishing in 6th or 7th. It's a nice notion that he could bore his way to a title but he showed at United, his way isn't successful anymore. He's yesterday's man.

I don't think the team is following instructions properly, Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 . The reason I say this is because I see our midfielders and forwards waving their arms around in frustration over the reluctance/failure of the defensive and midfield lines to squeeze up. If our forwards are bypassed by the opposition, they often turn around to find that their team mates do not have their back; they are on the retreat/miles behind, and the team is more or less broken into 2 parts.
I can't disagree with that.

In the absence of any repeatable passages of football, that look like they have been worked on in training ground I'm stuck with nothing to hang my hat on.

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 Mourinho's thoughts on our 2-2 draw with Woolwich earlier in the season.

https://www.football.london/Woolwich-fc/news/mourinho-one-word-Woolwich-spurs-16849704

Mourinho's instant verdict was to suggest it was 'funny' to watch before explaining: "There was play that was incredible to watch at this level."

"What matters is that millions of people that watched the game, and everybody at home is a part of it, as well as the thousands that were here, for sure they enjoyed it."

Asked what that game would be like to manage in, he added: "A heart attack.

"Because for the last 10-15 minutes of the game, the game had 80 metres between the defensive line of Woolwich and the defensive line of Spurs.

"It was like 80 metres, lots of space to play. Counter attack, counter attack, lots of empty space. Incredible, a game completely out of control."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...sol-campbell-react-to-north-london-derby-draw

Leipzig had significantly more shots and possession than Ajax ever did. Leipzig had about 3 shots on the first minute or two.

The Ajax match wasn't typical of the Poch era, his teams played some fantastic football and got many plaudits.

The sad thing for me is that Tottenham is becoming a by word for boring, out dated defensive football under Mourinho. There's been absolute contempt written and spoken about the style of football we played. It's totally at odds with the direction the club should be going. We've built this 1bn new stadium just to play like fucking Burnley.

He'll probably be gone by Xmas with us languishing in 6th or 7th. It's a nice notion that he could bore his way to a title but he showed at United, his way isn't successful anymore. He's yesterday's man.

If you expect much more from the rest of the campaign, prepared to be disappointed.

A team that went nearly a whole year without an away win, a 12 point deficit to overcome for top 4 and now no genuine attackers. Give the boys and management team a break will you pal. You're lilywhite aren't you? Act like you're lilywhite!

The reason the media don't like Mourinho has more to do with his vicious tongue than anything else, as far as I can see. Many of them have been made to look like fools by him in his press conferences, etc. I am sure they were all wanking the bollocks off of Ranieiri when Leicester beat us to the title with their Troglodyte Football, however.

iu

If you expect much more from the rest of the campaign, prepared to be disappointed.

A team that went nearly a whole year without an away win, a 12 point deficit to overcome for top 4 and now no genuine attackers. Give the boys and management team a break will you pal. You're lilywhite aren't you? Act like you're lilywhite!

Mourinho will be here till the Summer. I hope we get in the top 4, but this is about next season. I don't want him here then. It's very predictable how it will play out.

Mourinho will be here till the Summer. I hope we get in the top 4, but this is about next season. I don't want him here then. It's very predictable how it will play out.

I'll reserve my judgment until Mourinho gets to turn this team into his team. Far, far too early for me to judge how he's getting on but that's how I see the club at the moment.

I wanna see a Jose team that lines up Lloris, Aurier, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Davies, Winks, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Son, Bergwijn, Kane before I judge his style. Realistically we are 6 months away from seein it which is a huge shame.

Back
Top Bottom