Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The press can't fucking lose though, with Pochettino it was all "but what has he won" now with Mourinho it's "but look how he's won it"...
If we were playing well there is a different story to write.

The "what has he won stuff?" was largely reserved for the tabloid hacks and Sky Sports dickheads. Poch was by and large praised for his work and within the context of the Clubs standing (ie. not the same resources of those competing with and no history whatsoever of challenging for titles) by the broadsheet and more intellectual members of the media now all seemingly at The Athletic.

The is a distinct line and massive void between how and who writes and says what in the media.

There is an entire thread in here that says otherwise. There are numerous posts from people bitching about the fawning over Liverpool and City.
You're missing my point, if we had won yesterday, the story would have been about Liverpool losing...not Mourinho turning a corner...

We had to put two past them, they've conceded NONE in the last TEN games. They could have scored another 3 or 4 in the first half!

Why stary with Eriksen if you plan is to play without the ball? Would you say Gio was a better player without the ball then Eriksen?

What did you think of my theory yesterday about Levy insisting on playing Eriksen in order to sell him in January?

I honestly believe that if Poch had been still in charge yesterday we would have lost and probably by more with the resources available

I totally agree with others in that we now shouldn’t be starting Eriksen or Rose as they’re just not making an effort and yesterday’s performance was their worst yet
Dele is another problem though
The will seems to be there but his pace has gone and I do wonder if he’s fully fit

Having said all that there were plenty of positives to take from the match
Tanganga had a good game and GLC and Coco both did well when they came on and should start the next game together with Sess for Rose

For me the game could have gone either way and their goal shouldn’t have stood and Robertson should have seen a straight red

What did you think of my theory yesterday about Levy insisting on playing Eriksen in order to sell him in January?

I honestly believe that if Poch had been still in charge yesterday we would have lost and probably by more with the resources available

I totally agree with others in that we now shouldn’t be starting Eriksen or Rose as they’re just not making an effort and yesterday’s performance was their worst yet
Dele is another problem though
The will seems to be there but his pace has gone and I do wonder if he’s fully fit

Having said all that there were plenty of positives to take from the match
Tanganga had a good game and GLC and Coco both did well when they came on and should start the next game together with Sess for Rose

For me the game could have gone either way and their goal shouldn’t have stood and Robertson should have seen a straight red
All those positives you list I have also written!! In fact, I enjoyed how we played for the WHOLE of the 2nd half, not just when the double sub was made on the 70 min mark and us dominating that last 20mins. We could have equalized but if you afford us the what-ifs you can't conveniently ignore theirs and they could have scored 3 or 4 in the first half!

I piped up with those that think Jose got his tactics spot-on. He didn't, we lost the game as a direct result of them. Sitting deep inviting them onto us we simple coughed up multiple chances. If you chose to sit that deep you have to shut out the other side, we didn't and the game plan was done on the 37th min. Now we have to achieve what no team (better teams than us) have failed to do for the last TEN games and score two goals.

Who knows what would have happened if Poch was in charge, I don't see the relevance of bringing that up, we lost at Anfield earlier in the season and gave a similar performance and lost by a single goal too. So yeah, the likelihood is we would have lost, so what?

I missed your theory on Eriksen, sorry mate. If the reports are to be believed then he's already agreed to go to Inter, which is what was being reported before the game, so I don't get how playing him would have effected his transfer. It's often reported that players get selected to get them in the "shop window" I've no idea if there is any truth to this, but I can't get my head around the idea that this actually happens, especially if it's a player like Eriksen, a highly rated player. A player that every top club in Europe will know about.

All those positives you list I have also written!! In fact, I enjoyed how we played for the WHOLE of the 2nd half, not just when the double sub was made on the 70 min mark and us dominating that last 20mins. We could have equalized but if you afford us the what-ifs you can't conveniently ignore theirs and they could have scored 3 or 4 in the first half!

I piped up with those that think Jose got his tactics spot-on. He didn't, we lost the game as a direct result of them. Sitting deep inviting them onto us we simple coughed up multiple chances. If you chose to sit that deep you have to shut out the other side, we didn't and the game plan was done on the 37th min. Now we have to achieve what no team (better teams than us) have failed to do for the last TEN games and score two goals.

Who knows what would have happened if Poch was in charge, I don't see the relevance of bringing that up, we lost at Anfield earlier in the season and gave a similar performance and lost by a single goal too. So yeah, the likelihood is we would have lost, so what?

I missed your theory on Eriksen, sorry mate. If the reports are to be believed then he's already agreed to go to Inter, which is what was being reported before the game, so I don't get how playing him would have effected his transfer. It's often reported that players get selected to get them in the "shop window" I've no idea if there is any truth to this, but I can't get my head around the idea that this actually happens, especially if it's a player like Eriksen, a highly rated player. A player that every top club in Europe will know about.

Well I read in one rag that Eriksen is going to Inter as you say and then in another that he isn’t but I think we can agree that he shouldn’t be wearing our shirt

Yes they could have scored more but so could we as we missed a few sitters especially Son and GLC and I don’t agree that the game plan was gone when they did get their dodgy goal
If you take into consideration that we were carrying at least two passengers then I thought we did well against the best side in the PL
Jose is still on a learning curve and I do hope that Levy backs him
If he doesn’t then I think Jose will go but I believe we shouldn’t judge him until this time next year
It’s going to be difficult to get into the top four now so I hope we go on a decent FA Cup run and/or CL run

I don't know the stats on the two. I just know the feeling Davies gives me, when going forward. Would you then accept the premise that Davies played the lesser games

Hense I said "per game".

against the lesser opposition?

Davies was 1st choice for 18 months when Rose was out; barely rotated and payed all the big games.

I seriously can't remember Davies involved in a goal.

These are senior career stats (inc. internationals and Swansea & Sunderland respectively), but all I can find with ease....

Davies:
Mins: 18355
Goals 6
Assists 19 <<<
Yell: 32
Red: 0

Rose:
Mins: 17082
Goals 9 <<<
Assists 18
Yell: 53
Red: 2

Rose actually comes out on top when you consider minutes played(*), but this still supports the notion that there is in fact very little between them..... Shame there's no clean sheet stats, to support the defensive side of the equation.

(*Shocked to see Ben's played more tbh.)

Usually I'd agree that too many kids in the line-up could lower levels too much and just turn out a mare instead. On the other hand our seniors aren't exactly playing at highest standard, so in that regard we probably wouldn't worsen things too much.

There's more depth to what I said than merely the overall team performance.

There's the player to concern yourself with; not just the result. Also, as I noted if the level of the team is lower then it's less reasonable to expect a kid to make an impact within said line-up. It unfavourabl distorts perception and achieves little.

Of course the manager shouldn't act according to fans needs or wishes. It might just have been handy for himself. You know Jose also commented that they had analyzed Tanganga's performances in pre-season, which was also part of his selection yesterday. So maybe it's not that easy to merit game time solely through training.

If, as it seems, all your point amounts to is that it's tough for a young inexperienced player to break into the match-day squad for a young player amidst all the millions of £s worth of playing staff a club invests in, then yes; it's difficult.... (See recent gripes on behalf of Foden @ City or Hudson-Adoi under Sarri.)

This also ought to be remembered, as and when conversations turn to whether we'd be better off without EL if we don't qualify for CL next year. i.e. There'll be even less time to blood new players and less cause for rotation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom