Jimmy Greaves

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Greaves v Ronaldo

I think Ronaldo's goals in Spain speak more about the quality of the league than his prowess, but these are different generations of footballers, so comparisons are difficult anyway.
nice article. Incredible goal scoring by both. I think the relative strength of Real Madrid ot the rest of the spanish league hugely benefits Ronaldo, as with Messi.
Tottenham were one of the top teams in the league during Greaves time, but by no means head and shoulders above the rest.

Whilst it's lovely to see Jimmy with his family, the poor old bugger looks really unhappy.

I know it's an old cliche but seeing photos like the one of Jimmy and knowing he was England's greatest ever centre forward, a sportsman at his peak, reminds me to be thankful for every healthy day

He looks dreadful, poor man. It must be awful to go to a place where you are a hero to so many people as a shadow of your former self. I'm sure it was all done with the best of intentions, but I can't imagine it actually did him much good, I so hope I'm wrong.

In fairness, the reaction from him and his family seems really positive. He is a very ill man, but it seems that getting him up and out for this one were the right thing to do. An awful lot of care and concern will have gone into this trip.

There are about half a dozen or so more photos on getty - he doesn't look to happy in any of them, but studying a little further, I don't think it's a case of looking "unhappy", rather he just doesn't quite look very well, bless him. You can tell from the body language of those around him that he is perhaps suffering from the after effects of the stroke somewhat.

Based on what I hear from his lifestyle as a young man, mind, he's done well. Gazza looks older than him.

Doesn't look too happy, poor fella.

He looks dreadful, poor man. It must be awful to go to a place where you are a hero to so many people as a shadow of your former self. I'm sure it was all done with the best of intentions, but I can't imagine it actually did him much good, I so hope I'm wrong.

To be fair, (and having seen it up close on a personal level) I think that's (after effects of) the Stroke talking...
facial features and expression can be distorted out of all proportion... even if you're having a whale of a time, your face doesn't always tell the full story.

I'm sure that, on the inside, he was bursting with Pride and Emotion... as he rightly should!

After some of the shit the club put him through in recent years (as uncomfortable as that is to hear) I'm glad he made it back to WHL one more time.

He's Leeds isn't he?

Asked the fans if he should buy the club.....
You're fast becoming our go to Leeds guy Romanzo - which is great, but I don't recall anyone asking any questions about Leeds in the 3 years I've been on here. Unfortunately I was born just 8 miles from Leeds - it's a rotten place with overtly racist overtones. Every time I visit relatives I say a silent prayer that I was brought up in London. You come over as a typically dim Yorkshireman, with more bluster than brains. I guess you're familiar with the old Western Terrace at Headingley? That's where your kind usually gather.

In fairness, the reaction from him and his family seems really positive. He is a very ill man, but it seems that getting him up and out for this one were the right thing to do. An awful lot of care and concern will have gone into this trip.

It's great seeing him get the support he deserves

Maybe he doesn't look happy but we don't know what's going on in his head!

Loved the guy and was privileged to have seen him several times

You're fast becoming our go to Leeds guy Romanzo - which is great, but I don't recall anyone asking any questions about Leeds in the 3 years I've been on here. Unfortunately I was born just 8 miles from Leeds - it's a rotten place with overtly racist overtones. Every time I visit relatives I say a silent prayer that I was brought up in London. You come over as a typically dim Yorkshireman, with more bluster than brains. I guess you're familiar with the old Western Terrace at Headingley? That's where your kind usually gather.
giphy.gif

Nice post and all that and it did make me chuckle..... but i wasn't born in Leeds, i just work here earning a shit load of money.

It was a little difficult to gauge his emotion/expression in the initial photos, but it looks like he had a good time going by this video...

That is genuinely a very touching video, for many reasons. It's great that he seemed to have very real affection for the place.

Didn't just well up when I saw the video, tears just falling down my face. Although he didn't look happy in the photos, that's obviously down to the after effects of the stroke. His wit is still evident though. Glad the Club are doing the right thing by him now, took a while, but better late than never. Best goal scorer we've ever had, made it look so simple.

Back
Top Bottom