Jimmy Greaves

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

United fan here. I saw Jimmy play when he was in his pomp and he was phenomenal. I went to my first United v Spurs game in December 1963 in the old ECWC so I go back a long way. The Spurs game was a fixture we always looked forward to because it was always a great game with lots of goals and the giants of the game on the pitch. When you've got the likes of Charlton, Best, Law, Greaves, Gilzean, and Venables playing, there was always magic in the air.

I hope I speak for all United fans in wishing Jimmy well. He was one of England's finest players and was a credit to his country and his great club. Get well soon old lad.
Yep, I was lucky enough to be at the Lane for some of those great games in the 60s. For me Bobby Charlton is the greatest ever English player, and to see him on the same pitch with Jimmy and to see them both scoring trademark goals as happened in 1965, unforgettable stuff.

I can so easily just close my eyes and go back 50 years and remember the game, the friends I was with (one has already sadly passed on), the crowd ... I tell you, I'm on the verge on getting tearful, so I'll stop being a silly old man, and end the post here :)

I remember Jimmy Greaves scoring his "400th league and cup goal", a header in the Paxton Road end. Can't remember who it was against but everyone wanted it to be with his right foot in to the Park Lane End. Tottenham won that game 4-1 and I remember being totally shocked at Dave Mackay giving Greaves a proper bollocking for shooting from the edge of the box instead of crossing onto Mackay's head for a certain goal.

Anyone know which game that was ? 1967-68 season ?

from the BBC Spurs page
Jimmy Greaves: Former England & Spurs striker in intensive care

Last edited:
Such sad news. I went to my first game in 1969, Greavsie's last season, and he scored the only goal in a 1-0 win. The best out and out striker ever seen on this earth, he used to make scoring goals look so simple. I think his strike ratio was 2 goals every 3 games - what would his market value be today?!
I met him a couple of times at book signings and and went to one of his roadshows at the O2. He is quite a character and I wish him a speedy recovery.
It seems that an overdue admittance to the Hall of Fame is a curse - seem to remember that Mr P was also taken to hospital just before he was due to be inagurated.

That over used word of LEGEND on this man is insufficient the greatest goal scorer of a generation .Get well soon TRUE FOOTBALL AND SPURS LEGEND .
article-0-000562D000000258-23_306x423.jpg

I know I'm biased but I've been watching footy for 54 years and he was the greatest striker ever!

:bow:

Plenty of pretenders but he was the man!

Had the privilege to see him on many occasions!

Hope he comes through this!

Get well soon Jimmy!

I salute you.

:coys:

Had the privilege of seeing him play in 1970 against Ipswich - we won 3-2 and Jimmy scored one and had two disallowed (I think) although still don't know why - made a big impression on me. One the greatest players to ever wear a Spurs shirt and I can only hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. All the best Jim and take care.

There have been various good articles about Jimmy lately, but time and again the key stat(s) about him are missed out.

His 357 top flight goals still leads the way in English football. (Hence my '357 best ever' name tag) Shearer gets a lot of praise for being the Prem leading scorer and rightly so, but Greaves outscored him by quite a distance, and has outscored every English top flight player EVER! (That includes foreign players like Henry, Van Persie, whoever as well.)

Also missed out time and again is Greavesie is still the leading scorer in all the 'Big 5 leagues'

Yep, more than Muller, Puskas, Law, Dean, Messi, Ronaldo (though the latter two may overtake him) you name 'em, Greavesie has currently outscored all of them in the very top leagues.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...me-list-scorers-Europe-s-big-five-league.html

Jimmy Greaves is aware of the seriousness of the stroke he suffered on Sunday, the former England striker’s wife, Irene, has revealed.

Greaves, a 75-year-old former Tottenham, Chelsea and West Ham forward, was admitted to hospital and is in intensive care. His wife’s statement said his recovery would be a long and slow process.

She said: “Jimmy is having to do what he is told and understands the seriousness of what has happened to him. It is going to be a long, slow road to recovery and he is in the best possible hands.

“On behalf of Jimmy and our family, we would like to thank the many thousands of you who have voiced your support and concern. We would greatly appreciate it if the media would allow us privacy for what is going to be a long period of rehabilitation.”

There have been various good articles about Jimmy lately, but time and again the key stat(s) about him are missed out.

His 357 top flight goals still leads the way in English football. (Hence my '357 best ever' name tag) Shearer gets a lot of praise for being the Prem leading scorer and rightly so, but Greaves outscored him by quite a distance, and has outscored every English top flight player EVER! (That includes foreign players like Henry, Van Persie, whoever as well.)

Also missed out time and again is Greavesie is still the leading scorer in all the 'Big 5 leagues'

Yep, more than Muller, Puskas, Law, Dean, Messi, Ronaldo (though the latter two may overtake him) you name 'em, Greavesie has currently outscored all of them in the very top leagues.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...me-list-scorers-Europe-s-big-five-league.html
I know Arcie likes to ritually disagree with pretty much anything I write, and fair play to him if it keeps him happy. But I'd love to know how he can disagree with what are irrefutable facts about Greaves' goalscoring records.

I'll even take him off ignore sufficiently long to read his justification, should he deign to reply.

Cue another disagree from the man with the bulldog? :thumbup:

I know Arcie likes to ritually disagree with pretty much anything I write, and fair play to him if it keeps him happy. But I'd love to know how he can disagree with what are irrefutable facts about Greaves' goalscoring records.

I'll even take him off ignore sufficiently long to read his justification, should he deign to reply.

Cue another disagree from the man with the bulldog? :thumbup:
He should be binned permanently!

If we have to posthumously induct him in the Spurs Hall of fame... it will be the biggest shame ever to tarnish our club.
I hope he makes a full recovery, enough to know that the club he graced, at least finally managed to recognise his contribution!

And that ladies and gentlemen is facts. What a legend of a player and as rightly pointed out he scored loads abroad where the game was built on defence and not conceding goals

Back
Top Bottom