Jermain The Legend Defoe

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
Jermain Defoe is pure Tottenham Marmite, splitting opinion more often than he scores goals. There are two clear camps, you either love the diminutive striker, or you don’t. I fall squarely in the latter category, however I do appreciate his role as an excellent sub, alternative and backup. I just don’t want him leading our line too often. However after he scored against Sheriff and broke a 40-year-old record, suddenly I feel compelled to see him in a different light. Have I […]

Continue reading...

If we were a better team during his time at the club his European tally would be far lower than it is

He's been fortunate / unfortunate to play against some really poor opposition over the years

I'd have to disagree that you either love him or hate him, it probably just comes across that way since people who are on the fence/don't think he's shit often have to defend him constantly due to the imo irrational criticisms of him. I don't think that he is ideal but I fully acknowledge what he offers.

Agree with the conclusion, definite legend.

If we were a better team during his time at the club his European tally would be far lower than it is

He's been fortunate / unfortunate to play against some really poor opposition over the years

So now Defoe is at fault for being one of our better player's when we were not as good, and scoring when picked

So now Defoe is at fault for being one of our better player's when we were not as good, and scoring when picked

No, just his achievements aren't as great as they read on paper.

Where are his medals won from his great European scoring record?.....

He's benefitted from the ridiculous Europa league group stages.

You need to look at it from the other side too bro, if he has scored lots of goals and we haven't won anything surely that means that he is pulling his weight but the rest of the team aren't?

At the end of the day someone has to score those goals against shit teams, particularly in the domestic league/cups, where as we all know any team can beat any team so those goals have to be appreciated.

I've never thought he has had exceptional ability, but we have to admire his scoring consistency over the years.

You seem to be belittling him for doing his job, when the rest of the team was'nt good enough. Should Defoe have qualified and won the CL on his own?

WTF are you on about?

He may have benefited from playing those teams, but we benefited from him scoring when he was picked. Its not his fault we had a shit defence or that you could drive five busses through our midfield.

You need to look at it from the other side too bro, if he has scored lots of goals and we haven't won anything surely that means that he is pulling his weight but the rest of the team aren't?

At the end of the day someone has to score those goals against shit teams, particularly in the domestic league/cups, where as we all know any team can beat any team so those goals have to be appreciated.

I've never thought he has had exceptional ability, but we have to admire his scoring consistency over the years.

Not really as he always failed to score in the latter stages against better opposition.

Defoe hasn't won a single trophy in his time at the club, look how many the 4 above him in the goal scoring chart have won!!

I don't love him or hate him! Infact he is not like marmite at all. More like strawberry jam; Don't want it all the time but it can be a nice sweet treat for breakfast.

I like him, I think he has a genuine affection for our club, but he does go through periods where he can't hit a barn door from 10 yards, but he never hides and always give total effort. And the Spammers hate him as much as we hate R-Sol, and anything that gets up their nose is alright by me

I thought legends had to be world class players

not just blokes who stuck around because nobody better wanted them and scored loads against shit teams in obscure parts of the world

and how can anybody who supports the fuckn gooners be considered a Tottenham legend

Disappointed us far too many times to be considered a legend. He's never even managed 20 league goals in a season.

I think he does love the club and I admire his persistence over the years to fight for his place, but he's not a legend. You have to look at ability, not just service/loyalty and personality.

I actually like the guy but get seriously frustrated that his footballing intelligence doesn't seemed to have developed by the amount it shoulda done in his time here.

In terms of loyalty I don't think there's ever been a bigger/better (or even equal) club linked with him let alone put in a serious offer so whilst his time served is commendable, his loyalty has not been tested.

Defoe. He's a yiddo. He scored a hell of a lot of goals for us. He has written his name in our history.
But will people be talking about him years after he leaves/retires (like they do about Gazza or Ginola)?
Will anyone say something like this about him
On days like this I miss rafa.
I guess time will tell... I, for one, doubt it.

Camp number 1 for me. Love the fella.
Joint top scorer for us in Europe and number 5 ever.
In years to come I can virtually guarantee he will be regarded as a legend.
I am really hoping he sticks number 23 away in front of 1882.

Back
Top Bottom