Jermain Defoe Legend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
Last week, Jermain Defoe beat the record set by Spurs legend, Martin Chivers. Jermain now supersedes Martin as the club’s all time top European goal scorer on 23 goals, an incredible feat. Since joining the club in January 2004, Defoe has been well-known for his eye for goal and finishing ability. He has always had the presence of mind to find space in the box and very often, comes up with the final goods too. His statistics since joining the […]

Continue reading...

I'm bored of the Defoe topic.

He wants to be first team for us, he isn't good enough. He doesn't want to be sub, but he shouldn't start.

Man City: Aguero, Dzeko, Negredo
Man Utd: RVP, Rooney, Hernandez
Chelsea: Torres, Eto'o, Ba, Lukaku (on loan)
Woolwich: Giroud, Bendtner, Akpom?
Spurs: Soldado, Defoe, Adebayor

Taking Woolwich out the equation, there's 3 teams that we consider as our competition for league places. Defoe would be behind all of those in my opinion, yet he is our 2nd choice, and some think 1st.

Worrying...

The thing is, that we can scrap Ade from our striker list. He clearly isnt part of this set up, and I guess will end up at Galatasary or somewhere in January.

That leaves us with Soldado, Defoe and Kane.

110M, and we still.......STILL need another striker

The thing is, that we can scrap Ade from our striker list. He clearly isnt part of this set up, and I guess will end up at Galatasary or somewhere in January.

And a LB

Agree. And Kane has shown this season he is better suited playing off the striker, not leading the line, so that leaves us with Soldado and Defoe. One doesn't pass when we pass him the ball - the other we don't bother passing to at all!!

Maybe we need to play the false no.9. We have plenty of attacking midfielders who could fill that role, and then we wouldn't have this striker dilemma.

:bae:???

The decision to loan him out still amazes me. Rose isn't good enough, loan him out. Rose comes back, Benny isn't good enough, loan him out.

HOW ABOUT, have two LB's in the squad?:saha:

I'm bored of the Defoe topic.

He wants to be first team for us, he isn't good enough. He doesn't want to be sub, but he shouldn't start.

Man City: Aguero, Dzeko, Negredo
Man Utd: RVP, Rooney, Hernandez
Chelsea: Torres, Eto'o, Ba, Lukaku (on loan)
Woolwich: Giroud, Bendtner, Akpom?
Spurs: Soldado, Defoe, Adebayor

Taking Woolwich out the equation, there's 3 teams that we consider as our competition for league places. Defoe would be behind all of those in my opinion, yet he is our 2nd choice, and some think 1st.

Worrying...

Not to mention the bin dippers.

Agree with you entirely. Much as he's a fans favourite, there's a reason it's QPR, West Ham and MLS sides after him not those we consider our superiors or even competitors.

An upgrade required at some point in the next 2 windows IMHO

Will never consider him a legend, imv - good club servant overall and a slightly above average at times striker who jumped ship to Pompey as soon as he realised he'd be 3rd choice behind Keane and Berba. Will probably have done the same now if teams other than level similar to Reading and QPR were interested.

Happy to have him as an option but we still need another quality forward unit seeing that Ade is as good as gone - and regretfully so! since he offers something different to little poacher Soldado

Last edited:
Will never consider him a legend, imv - good club servant overall and a slightly above average at times striker who jumped ship to Pompey as soon as he realised he'd be 3rd choice behind Keane and Berba. Will probably have done the same now if teams other than level similar to Reading and QPR were interested.

Happy to have him as an option but we still need another quality forward unit seeing that Ade is as good as gone - and regretfully so! since he offers something different to little poacher Soldado

Can't knock him for wanting to play. A lot of players wouldn't give a shit and just pick up the cash for sitting on the bench. Taking a step down to Portsmouth was a bold move by Defoe I think.

Can't knock him for wanting to play. A lot of players wouldn't give a shit and just pick up the cash for sitting on the bench. Taking a step down to Portsmouth was a bold move by Defoe I think.

I don't think others players don't want to play, they are just less vocal in te media about it an more focused on working hard in training and (cheap shot alert) developing their game.

The move to Portsmouth iirc came about coz a) Arry was starting a revolution daan there and had worked With JD before and basically showed him some love , and b) at the time we had Keane, Berbatov and Bent all ahead of him in the pecking order.

I must point out that I'm not a Defoe-hater by any means but accepted his limitations a while ago and believe that we are now in a position where he's not quite at our 'level' (which sounds harsh...but consider the bulk of players don't wait more than a season before departing if they themselves move beyond our level)

Thanks for the article. Defoe has been a decent striker for us but in my opinion he's not a Legend. He's served us well but we need another quality striker to compliment Soldado.

Good article though, most 16 year olds I know would struggle to write their name.

We can't win.... If we get another top quality striker in, then with AVB's penchant for playing 1 up front, SOMEONE will miss out regularly, and no doubt be demanding a transfer 2 minutes after walking through the door!
Look at our midfield, we are clearly over subscribed in the middle, and wouldn't you just know it, we have already seen speculation about Holtby and Dembele possibly leaving in Jan (even though Holtby's agent denied it thank gawd!)
Still won't stop the unsettling speculation though!
If Defoe AND Ade leave in Jan and we don't replace at least one of them, then God love Harry Kane, but we are fucked!

We can't win.... If we get another top quality striker in, then with AVB's penchant for playing 1 up front, SOMEONE will miss out regularly, and no doubt be demanding a transfer 2 minutes after walking through the door!
Oh if only Fergie would share his secret as to how he kept Yorke, Cole, Sheringham and Solksjaer all happy...:avbcringe:

Back
Top Bottom