Japhet Tanganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Minimum on the bench from now on.

By the end of the season we need to know if he's first team material or not. If not, we'll need at least 3 centre halves come next July.

I don't know why he isn't being given a chance to be honest, he looked pretty decent from what I saw of him in preseason. I know he's only 20, but we got taken apart by an 18 year old a few weeks ago so I don't think he's too young to at least make some sub appearances.

We've got some talented young lads in the squad who should be getting game time now so that they're used to the prem when the old guard go. Plus there's the fact that the old guard are playing shit so the youngsters might as well have a go.
There's a group of lads in their early 20s that we should be looking to integrate into the squad ready for next season, they're our future so let's get them ready for it.

I don't know why he isn't being given a chance to be honest, he looked pretty decent from what I saw of him in preseason. I know he's only 20, but we got taken apart by an 18 year old a few weeks ago so I don't think he's too young to at least make some sub appearances.

We've got some talented young lads in the squad who should be getting game time now so that they're used to the prem when the old guard go. Plus there's the fact that the old guard are playing shit so the youngsters might as well have a go.
There's a group of lads in their early 20s that we should be looking to integrate into the squad ready for next season, they're our future so let's get them ready for it.

Usually played as LCB in Spurs youth, but in pre-season was partnered by both Vertonghen and Alderweireld in different matches (and in all 4 preseason matches he played 45 mins and looked very comfortable and didn't allow any of the fairly decent opposition strikers get the better of him) so no reason why that doesn't happen in a competitive match pairing one of them for experience.

Given our CB situation, I'd be tempted to play Tanganga and Sanchez as a CB pairing pretty soon after that - no reason not to get that pairing going for some of the matches this season. Both have a turn of speed, something lacking atm with our CB's. Tanganga is quite vocal in organising defence in Spurs youth, which could be useful in the first team as well.

Usually played as LCB in Spurs youth, but in pre-season was partnered by both Vertonghen and Alderweireld in different matches (and in all 4 preseason matches he played 45 mins and looked very comfortable and didn't allow any of the fairly decent opposition strikers get the better of him) so no reason why that doesn't happen in a competitive match pairing one of them for experience.

Given our CB situation, I'd be tempted to play Tanganga and Sanchez as a CB pairing pretty soon after that - no reason not to get that pairing going for some of the matches this season. Both have a turn of speed, something lacking atm with our CB's. Tanganga is quite vocal in organising defence in Spurs youth, which could be useful in the first team as well.

Something we're missing badly and have been for a few years. I'd love to see how Foyth, Tanganga and Sanchez coped as a defensive 3.

Something we're missing badly and have been for a few years. I'd love to see how Foyth, Tanganga and Sanchez coped as a defensive 3.

NOW we're talking #brave!

(I appreciate your curiosity, and haven't given up hope for any of them as individuals, but collectively? .....1 x kid, Foyth dishing out pens and red card challenges like sweeties and the lottery that is current day Dav.... What could possibly go wrong? )

NOW we're talking #brave!

(I appreciate your curiosity, and haven't given up hope for any of them as individuals, but collectively? .....1 x kid, Foyth dishing out pens and red card challenges like sweeties and the lottery that is current day Dav.... What could possibly go wrong? )
Compared to the lottery of the Belgian contingent, it's a risk I'd be more than willing to take.

I fully believe Dav will be a different player without having to suffer Alderweireld especially.

Compared to the lottery of the Belgian contingent, it's a risk I'd be more than willing to take.

I fully believe Dav will be a different player without having to suffer Alderweireld especially.

Your point isn't lost on me, but you do know what happens to rudder-less ships right?

Dav
Tangaga
Foyth
Dier
Davies

I don't dissagree that on paper we have the raw ingredients for a good 3CB set up, but we desperately need a lynchpin we can rely upon over the next year or two if any of those 3 young lads are gonna make a go of it longer term.

Hanging Tangaga out to dry in a struggling team will more than likely ruin him.

Your point isn't lost on me, but you do know what happens to rudder-less ships right?

Dav
Tangaga
Foyth
Dier
Davies

I don't dissagree that on paper we have the raw ingredients for a good 3CB set up, but we desperately need a lynchpin we can rely upon over the next year or two if any of those 3 young lads are gonna make a go of it longer term.

Hanging Tangaga out to dry in a struggling team will more than likely ruin him.
I agree with that, but as I said at the weekend, the Belgians are a goal start to the opposition, and I think people are now seeing what a disruptive player Toby has become. Doesn't hold a line, doesn't track his man, basically defends for himself and to hell with the team.

The other side is, imagine dropping Tanganga in at the weekend and he has a stormer and we win. Instantly we've got a young defender with supreme confidence thinking he's bulletproof. What a win that would be.

I'd also add to that, a back three of Foyth, Tanganga and Sanchez aided by Barrios as defensive midfielder would be a future dream in the making.

I agree with that, but as I said at the weekend, the Belgians are a goal start to the opposition, and I think people are now seeing what a disruptive player Toby has become. Doesn't hold a line, doesn't track his man, basically defends for himself and to hell with the team.

The other side is, imagine dropping Tanganga in at the weekend and he has a stormer and we win. Instantly we've got a young defender with supreme confidence thinking he's bulletproof. What a win that would be.

Tanganga beats Liverpool at Anfield?

I'm a pretty positive guy, but I'm gonna need a guarantee that he scores the winner from a corner before I take a hit on that pipe, dude. : P

In all honesty, if Poch started JT & JV together next sat I wouldn't riot and would admire his balls, but that's dreamland and for good reason. At best, that's probably about a 5th case scenario given our options.

I'd also add to that, a back three of Foyth, Tanganga and Sanchez aided by Barrios as defensive midfielder would be a future dream in the making.

Developing CB's is somewhat of a right's of passage type scenario... And now you're supporting them with players we don't even have; not to mention Barrios has his own issues from what I saw at the world cup.

As the saying goes.... One step at a time.

Tanganga beats Liverpool at Anfield?

I'm a pretty positive guy, but I'm gonna need a guarantee that he scores the winner from a corner before I take a hit on that pipe, dude. : P

In all honesty, if Poch started JT & JV together next sat I wouldn't riot and would admire his balls, but that's dreamland and for good reason. At best, that's probably about a 5th case scenario given our options.
Don't worry he'll start the Artois Brothers and we have to hope that waken from their comas and decide they want to play football again.

Remember the two "World class experienced partnership" was the same two who helped concede 10 goals in two games, but are still our best option. Personally, I would take the chance if I was Poch.

Then again it's live on Sky, so we might get a performance out of them since they'll be hoping the big team's scouts will be watching.

Back
Top Bottom