Japhet Tanganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Did well for playing with a yellow for 70, but clearly not a long term solution on the left. But considering that's his 4th best position, that's fine.

A lot of Watfords attack came his way after the card.

He doesn't look good at LB .. all attempts to cross from his side was a success ,after Watford realised that most off there attack come from his side .
he needs to keep he's head down and work herder on his blocking but he's not to blame ... Mourinio his , first for putting him there and then for not switch between him and verts ..

He played LB for his speed and played against the MOM. If he is to play as one of 2 CB's then he has to be considered better than Sanchez and Jan as Toby is considered no 1 by Jose.

He doesn't look good at LB .. all attempts to cross from his side was a success ,after Watford realised that most off there attack come from his side .
he needs to keep he's head down and work herder on his blocking but he's not to blame ... Mourinio his , first for putting him there and then for not switch between him and verts ..

Rose looks done, Davies injured, Vertonghen too slow to face a speedster and Sessegnon rested I think.

Tanganga playing there 'took one for the team' not a natural LB (think he only played there a couple of times for Spurs youth) just tried to keep in the game - and tbf given we conceded no goals today a relative success. But don't think he's going to want to play there too much.

Hopefully Mourhino will play him as RB, RCB or LCB in the future....LB only in emergency.

I've not a single complaint about his performance today.

However, play him as a CB if that's where his future lies.

Unless we sign a season-saving DM then there's absolute scope to play him alongside Toby & Dav in a 3 for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
He did well today against a good opponent and in an unfamiliar position.

Contrast to what Foyth would have done for example. And by that I mean more free kicks, loss of control and possibly a red card.

So far and way too short to make an informed view, the one shining light in a season of darkness.

He did well today against a good opponent and in an unfamiliar position.

Contrast to what Foyth would have done for example. And by that I mean more free kicks, loss of control and possibly a red card.

So far and way too short to make an informed view, the one shining light in a season of darkness.

Knowing this forum, Foyth would have been blasted for putting on the very same performance.

Knowing this forum, Foyth would have been blasted for putting on the very same performance.
Yep .. foyth is incredible tackler with a looot of confidence so he try the difficult thing and his young so will make the odd mistake .. but always show class .
Foyth biggest problems IMHO is not being English .

Nonsense.

How many times did Tanganga give the ball away, which is the biggest criticism of Foyth?

Foyth averages about an 85% pass completion per game. Tanganga, 81%.

Not sure what's the smoke you want.

Foyth gets criticism because when he plays its usually ahead of Sanchez, Alderweireld, Vertonghen which fans don't like and then he, like most professional footballers to ever play the game, gives the ball away or mistimes a tackle.

If Foyth had been taken to the cleaners like Sarr did to Tanganga a few times today, he'd have been roasted.

Not that I'm bothered particularly. Maybe this is a sign that our fans are evolving!? And we can actually support our younger players instead of throwing them under the bus or criticising every move. Here's hoping.

Yep .. foyth is incredible tackler with a looot of confidence so he try the difficult thing and his young so will make the odd mistake .. but always show class .

Yeh, cos this club has got a looooong history of anti-Argentinian sentiment.

:mourshock:

It's not because he's Argentinian .. it's just seems like we more forgiving to homegrown English players

Doesn't seem to protect Winks or KWP from criticism... Even Kane for that matter.

Not HG, but Sessengon hasn't received such high acclaim following his debut performances....

Meanwhile, Foyth has made similar costly errors on a number of occasions... There's your differentiation right there.

Can't we just be pleased that early doors that Japhet is performing very well?

I've not a single complaint about his performance today.
What other than every time Sarr got the ball? Our 'quickest' CB was left trailing on multiple occasions.

He's not a left back and this madness of Mourinho (and Pochettino before him) of playing people out of position must end.

He learns and is coached how to be a CB and then gets stuck out at LB. It's a completely different set of skills.

All goalkeepers (and John Stones) think they're Messi but you wouldn't play them in midfield.

What other than every time Sarr got the ball? Our 'quickest' CB was left trailing on multiple occasions.

He's not a left back and this madness of Mourinho (and Pochettino before him) of playing people out of position must end.

He learns and is coached how to be a CB and then gets stuck out at LB. It's a completely different set of skills.

All goalkeepers (and John Stones) think they're Messi but you wouldn't play them in midfield.

Hense I have no complaints about his performance....

My post pretty much follows on to to say the same as you have.

Except, of course, for the times he gives the ball away on the edge of his own area? You can almost hear the opposition thanking him on their way back to the centre spot for the restart.

It wouldn't surprise me if we never saw him in a Spurs shirt again.

I have no idea what the rubbish about not being English is about - most of our squad is not English.

Back
Top Bottom