January is crucial

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know we're all a little gutted to not have taken 3 points at Swansea and finish 2011 on a high, but I think we ought to be optimistic really.

Of course , 3 points would've been preferable but we were looking quite tired and Swansea have a great home record. How we ended up, during the most congested part of the season, playing Tuesday evening - Saturday 3pm at opposite sides of Britain, I don't know - the mysterious omniscient and omnipotent fixture computer obviously has something against Spurs fans!! We've actually had a much tougher Xmas period than it first looked.

Home to Chelsea was always going to be tough and, really, taking a point from a game against a top 4 rival is perfectly respectable. Then we had 2 games against newly promoted teams. Fine. However, neither are struggling in this League and both are very capable at home. The fact we had to play both Away, consecutively, within the space of barely 3 days, going from the most Easterly stadium in the Premier League all the way over to the most Westerly, made it that much more difficult.

You look at Woolwich's 2 home fixtures against similar opposition, Manchester United also at Home and, really, we could easily have drifted away from the top.

Chelsea had to play Fulham and Villa, also both at Home, and whilst more established Premier League teams, in terms of form these fixtures were far easier than what Spurs faced.

We took 4 points from our 2 Away games over Xmas. Chelsea, United and City took just 3 points combined! Woolwich also managed 4 points, but they were at Home for their 2 games against Wolves and QPR and so could easily have taken all 6 and probably should have.

So, all in all, Xmas 2011 was great for Tottenham's, I'm going to say it, push for the title.

Much more than a New Year's Eve game Away at Swansea, our results in January will really decide how serious we are about a title. Compared to most teams at the top, we don't really lose anyone of note (except Benny, so a LB in the window might be needed) to the ACN and we have 5 games at Home out of the 6 we play in January. They're, pretty much, all games we would hope to take points from, with the real cruncher being that game-in-hand against Everton.

A good January though, and talk of a 1st title in 50 years might start to become increasingly plausible.

Excellent article!

That City game on the 22nd could be massive, especially of we beat west brom, everton and wolves before that.

Oh and BAE won't be leaving because Cameroon didn't qualify for the ANC. We don't lose anyone in January.

Woolwich lose gervinho and chamakh

Chelsea lose drogba, Mikel and kalou.

City lose the Toure brothers

Luckily I think the City game comes just before their semi-final game... I think.

They have a great squad, but expect a few to be rested... Hopefully

Sibs said:
Luckily I think the City game comes just before their semi-final game... I think.

I just got all hopefull and looked. It's 11 days before. :-(

Still, we've gotta play who we've gotta play.

EssexYid said:
Excellent article!

That City game on the 22nd could be massive, especially of we beat west brom, everton and wolves before that.

Oh and BAE won't be leaving because Cameroon didn't qualify for the ANC. We don't lose anyone in January.

a***nal lose gervinho and chamakh

Chelsea lose drogba, Mikel and kalou.

City lose the Toure brothers

Drogba could be off for good.

frontwheel said:
Sibs said:

2 legs. City away to Liverpool just 3 days after

Sibs said:
frontwheel said:
Sibs said:

Aah, I see. :) Sorry for being a mong.

Sibs said:
frontwheel said:
Sibs said:

Rooting for Liverpool in the first leg then surely (and the second, obviously, but you know...). Gerrard's back... he looked good against Newcastle.

Not remotely worried about City personally. We've come through a bunch of fixtures and are now in a position where we can go into that game with the pressure off. At the start of the season, when we met both Manchester Clubs, we were already playing catch-up and the pressure built with each point we failed to get. No so now though.

We're ahead of the chasing pack and still have a game-in-hand. We win the games, or pick up points we're capable of getting, in January and that City game is just a bonus. If we then get anything from it, dare I say it, the title is truly on. Even if we get nothing though, we'll still be right up there.

We play:

WBA (H) - 02 Jan
Everton (H) - 11 Jan
Wolves (H) - 14 Jan

before meeting City at their place on 22 Jan. We could easily have another 9 points in the bag by then, although I've learned to expect nothing over the years.

We then finish the month at home to Wigan.

That means, excluding City, a very possible 12 point haul this month, meaning we'd go into February over 50 points!!!! So Away to City is a freebie which, I hope, we'll give a real go and get some payback for that 5-1. No Adebayor for that 1 though, so let's hope we've got a new striker in by then!!

We will have other players back tho - Daws & Azza should be back and Defoe & Rafa should be fully fit.

It's looking good . . .

. . . famous last words . . .

Just linking this with my other thread - if we have 50 pints going in to Feb - with 24 games played... we will need to get another 18-22 points (if history, maths, science and magic are anything to go by) to secure a 4th place finish.

18 points from 14 games... or 6 win from 14 games.

As I said, we can afford to lose at City, and even get beat my Man Utd at home and still not have to panic. If we pick up even draws from these games it will be a result.

Don't forget also that those teams around us (Woolwich, United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea) all still have to play each other as well, in some cases twice in various competitions. We will have got City out the way by the end of January and only have to play the others once between now and the end of the season. Unfortunately, most of those fixtures are Away for us now, but we still picked up all 3 points at Emirates and Anfield last year and the Chavs have been dropping points regularly at Stamford Bridge this season!!!

We have City Away on 22nd Jan and we then have:

Liverpool (A) 2nd Feb
Woolwich (A) 26th Feb

. . . February could be tough and was where we slipped up last season too.

Man United (H) 2 Mar
Chelsea (A) 23 Mar

. . . March is also tough but, if we can come through hanging onto 3rd place, our run in through April-May is relatively painless.

Chelsea have:

Man United (H) 5 Feb
Man City (A) 16 Mar
Spurs (H) 23 Mar

Woolwich (A) 20 Apr

Liverpool (A) 4 May

City have:

Liverpool (H) 3 Jan
Spurs (H) 22 Jan

. . . they're at home, but that's a tough January with an FA Cup game v United on 8th Jan too, we could easily have gained ground on them by the 22nd. They've not scored in & only have 1 point from 2 games going into the game v Liverpool as well.

Chelsea (H) 16 Mar

Woolwich (A) 6 Apr
United (H) 27 Apr

a difficult April too and City also have to play League Cup 2 legs v Liverpool, FA Cup and Europa League 2 legs v Porto - not easy games. If we're anywhere near them by April, we;re in with a real shot.

United have:

Woolwich (A) 22 Jan

Same day we play City, which could be important at the top of the League. You can be sure Woolwich will want revenge too.

Chelsea (A) 5 Feb
Liverpool (H) 11 Feb

Feb is as tough for United as it is for us and they have Europa League fixtures v Ajax thrown in too

Spurs (A) 2 Mar

City (A) 27 Apr

Similar to us really overall, with quite a few Away, but we'll have got our big games out the way. That City v United game at the end of April could either decide the title, or help us push past the pair of them if it ends even.

Woolwich have:

United (H) 22 Jan

Spurs (H) 26 Feb

They're Away to AC Milan just before our visit to The Effeminates, which might have an influence on things but it is unlikely as there is a big gap between the 2 games!!

Liverpool (A) 2 Mar

City (H) 6 Apr
Chelsea (A) 20 Apr

Liverpool have:

City (A) 3rd Jan

Spurs (H) 6 Feb
United (A) 11 Feb

Woolwich (H) 2 Mar

Chelsea (H) 4 May

So, April could be quite important for us as all the teams around us (bar Liverpool) play each other. Liverpool themselves play Chelsea in a Europa League play-off (;)) in May

We do have a good run-in but, like I say, picking up the points this January will be crucial

And players missing for various clubs due to African Nations between now and middle and February. It is a tough time for ALL of the clubs between now and the end of February. Easy to get distracted with two legs of League Cup, as well as Europa and Champions League.

We have it tough in February, but it could be worse.

1 more win, and we're definatly safe. i am struggling to come to terms with whats going on this season, top 4 WAS the target and we conceded europa and league cup runs with that in mind, but now ?? i have a concern that city will do to us what they did to the goons, unsettle and/or buy their best players as they were once rivals, its us now and they have the money. lets hope levy keps his nerve ala modric in the summer. its tough at the top innit.

Back
Top Bottom