January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making a profit on Eriksen when he can walk and sign with any team he wants in 5 months is some move by Levy

Now the Levy out crowd will say “Yeah but signing him to a new contract would have been better”.. Eriksen was mentally checked out here, was never going to happen

Making a profit on Eriksen when he can walk and sign with any team he wants in 5 months is some move by Levy

Now the Levy out crowd will say “Yeah but signing him to a new contract would have been better”.. Eriksen was mentally checked out here, was never going to happen
I'll definitely give Levy props on this one - but I also think we got lucky that Inter were:

A) interested
B) in a position where they were motivated to get this done in January rather than wait.

It could easily have gone another way (e.g. Ramsey's pre-contract agreement with Juve this time last year), and ironically Eriksen's shite form actually served to remove him from the radar of Europe's elite who would have likely been happy to see him run his contract down.

With hindsight, we'd have all been better off if Eriksen had gone for good money a year and a half ago. We wouldn't have seen it that way at the time, naturally, but it could have been a Coutinho-esque sale.

Making a profit on Eriksen when he can walk and sign with any team he wants in 5 months is some move save by Levy

FYP.

And critics could say that he should have let him go last season (Sammy-summer) when it was reported he wanted to go and it was clear he wasn't going to sign (repeated contract efforts rebuffed). Thus preventing him from going into his last year of contract. It's not like he was any good this last season and a half anyway. Perhaps we could have gotten the 80M for him and gotten GLC straight from PSG for 22M. Just think about the opportunity cost there my friend. Doesn't look quite the masterstroke that you are painting when viewed through this lens.

FYP.

And critics could say that he should have let him go last season (Sammy-summer) when it was reported he wanted to go and it was clear he wasn't going to sign (repeated contract efforts rebuffed). Thus preventing him from going into his last year of contract. It's not like he was any good this last season and a half anyway. Perhaps we could have gotten the 80M for him and gotten GLC straight from PSG for 22M. Just think about the opportunity cost there my friend. Doesn't look quite the masterstroke that you are painting when viewed through this lens.
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts... who tabled a 80M bid for him, anyway? With 18 months left on his contract you best believe Joe Lewis was sanctioning that sale.

and even if there was an 80M bid.. the thought of selling Eriksen two summers ago, before his dip in form, would have been blasphemous

When Eriksen decided he wasn’t signing a new contract, and Real Madrid and Barcelona never came calling it was always going to put the club in a tough spot.

I’m personally thankful it’s over with and we don’t have to watch his listless performances anymore and some of our young players can take those minutes

Last edited:
FYP.

Except nobody offered 80m .... you see the problem ... we can ask what we want 80m, 100m, 130m but if nobody wants to pay so what? and remember Eriksen needs to sign with whoever makes that offer, he made it very clear in the summer that meant just two clubs neither of whom were interested.

Poch said that he convinced Eriksen to stay over a private dinner ... so was leaving for this imaginary 80m ever seriously an option, probably not.

To get Eriksen for 11m have him for 6 great years on ludicrously low wages and then sell him at a profit ... yeah that's good business. Should we have sold at peak value in the summer of 2018, yes we should but that's an easy thing to say now, at the time very, very few of us were advocating selling him, go back to page 240 and see the nutters who were demanding Levy pay him >250k a week ...

I'm amazed Levy got 17m ... now just add another 53m to that and buy us someone decent

FYP.

We could have but then again we don't know how we would have performed last season if Eriksen had been sold and Lo Celso had come in. Eriksen scored a crucial goal for us at home vs Inter Milan in the 80th minute, giving us a 1-0 win to keep us alive in the group stages and a couple of last minute goals in the league (vs Burnley & Brighton at home). It's all speculative but what we could have made on him, the £80m fee you've specified could easily have seen us finish outside the top 4 and not make the knockouts of the Champions League.

Top 4 this season has probably bagged us another £65m-£80m and getting past the knockouts last season probably £50m or so plus the rest. So yes we would be £60m up in fees in for Eriksen but also a potential £130m down. Swings and roundabouts based on what could and would have been.

With 18 months left on his contract you best believe Joe Lewis was sanctioning that sale.

and even if there was an 80M bid.. the thought of selling Eriksen two summers ago, before his dip in form, would have been blasphemous

When Eriksen decided he wasn’t signing a new contract, and Real Madrid and Barcelona never came calling it was always going to put the club in a tough spot.
Sammy-summer would have seen 2 full seasons left on the contract. And I said 'the 80M' as that was the crazy number folks were talking about. Personally, I've never felt he was that valuable and thought folks were on crack.

You take these things from a position of strength, sign or leave...don't leave and we will replace you and give minutes to said replacement and accept the worst case scenario. Again, we could have gotten what seems to be his replacement that summer for 22M.

Except nobody offered 80m .... you see the problem ... we can ask what we want 80m, 100m, 130m but if nobody wants to pay so what? and remember Eriksen needs to sign with whoever makes that offer, he made it very clear in the summer that meant just two clubs neither of whom were interested.

Poch said that he convinced Eriksen to stay over a private dinner ... so was leaving for this imaginary 80m ever seriously an option, probably not.

To get Eriksen for 11m have him for 6 great years on ludicrously low wages and then sell him at a profit ... yeah that's good business. Should we have sold at peak value in the summer of 2018, yes we should but that's an easy thing to say now, at the time very, very few of us were advocating selling him, go back to page 240 and see the nutters who were demanding Levy pay him >250k a week ...

I'm amazed Levy got 17m ... now just add another 53m to that and buy us someone decent
80M was one of the crazy number folks round these parts were spitting out. I should have put it in scare quotes. I've wanted competition/replacement for long time. I never thought we were getting that for him just like I laughed when folks valued Dele at 100M and Harry at 150M.

My point to KOW was more about giving the club too much credit for what is essentially good fortune instead of design.

We could have but then again we don't know how we would have performed last season if Eriksen had been sold and Lo Celso had come in. Eriksen scored a crucial goal for us at home vs Inter Milan in the 80th minute, giving us a 1-0 win to keep us alive in the group stages and a couple of last minute goals in the league (vs Burnley & Brighton at home). It's all speculative but what we could have made on him, the £80m fee you've specified could easily have seen us finish outside the top 4 and not make the knockouts of the Champions League.

Top 4 this season has probably bagged us another £65m-£80m and getting past the knockouts last season probably £50m or so plus the rest. So yes we would be £60m up in fees in for Eriksen but also a potential £130m down. Swings and roundabouts based on what could and would have been.
Yes, and if someone else came in we would have won the league. See, we can both do that. Just because someone did those things doesn't mean someone else wouldn't have done better or worse. I understand this implicitly. But there was a contract situation that should have been handled pro-actively is the point of all of this.

Yes, and if someone else came in we would have won the league. See, we can both do that. Just because someone did those things doesn't mean someone else wouldn't have done better or worse. I understand this implicitly. But there was a contract situation that should have been handled pro-actively is the point of this.

Hence why I said potentially mate. The only thing that's certain is what has happened and yes we could have done better but we could also have done worse. The fact is Eriksen scored crucial goals in 1-0 wins that got us out of the group stages and enough points to cling onto top 4. We could have done better but we'll never know, all we do know is the impact he made last season and the gains we made out of it regardless of what else may or may not have been.

His contract situation should however have been dealt with far better than we did on that I absolutely agree.

Levys already being slated for not selling him under Pochs feet two years ago.
6 months ago the same crowd called him world class, irreplaceable, our best player and should be kept at any cost, and agreed with Poch keeping him was our summer priority.

Here’s my thoughts from way back in the beginning of June, there were plenty who thought otherwise, now claim they wanted him sold in 2017 at his peak, LOL

Ahh, I’m just thinking about last year when we tied down Dele, Kane and Poch and it meant fuck all to people.

The squad was in better shape last summer too.

Personally I’d hate to spend all summer stroking off Eriksen instead of strengthening our attack
(because that’s what prioritising him would mean).

Never a better time to refresh our AM areas in my view. Eriksen feels like the past to me.....his good performances certainly are.

Take the money and reinvest.

Levys already being slated for not selling him under Pochs feet two years ago.
6 months ago the same crowd called him world class, irreplaceable, our best player and should be kept at any cost, and agreed with Poch keeping him was our summer priority.

Here’s my thoughts from way back in the beginning of June, there were plenty who thought otherwise, now claim they wanted him sold in 2017 at his peak, LOL
We're talking the Sammy-summer, Sammy. You know that summer right? That's the summer where you said that doing fuck-all was the hip thing to do. Saying sell him last summer was nothing. Even Airfixx Airfixx was making receding hairline voodoo dolls and he's normally quite the glass half-full type.

Sell high, buy low works for players too, especially when they are over-valued. I'm an advocate at all times. And as far as selling from under Poch's feet is concerned then Levy should have told Poch he signs by X-date or we move on. If Poch can't get him to sign then Poch would have known he wasn't committed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom