January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We didn't sign anyone in the summer or in January because we're skint.

We're skint because of a naming rights-sized hole in our finances

Those are facts you can build a house on.

Or a stadium even. One day

They're not immediately replaceable and that's a massive problem for us. Look at our team right now, Vertonghen is 31, Lloris is 32 and Harry will soon turn 26. Harry will enter his prime soon and Hugo and Jan are soon leaving theirs. We should be capitalizing on these players now, we don't have unlimited time. If Eriksen and Toby goes it will be more seasons of transition and we will be wasting away important time

We have an average squad age of 25 years 1 month ... if we're in age trouble then the rest of the EPL must be well fucked ... what does "capitalizing on these players now" even mean? Sell them for loads of money? Play them every game till they break? what are you trying to say?

"Vertonghen is 31, Lloris is 32 and Harry will soon turn 26"

Vertongen has just extended his contract until 2020 ... we have Sanchez (22) Foyth (21) Davies (25) any one of whom can take his place, we also have 3 more transfer windows before he leaves if a new CB is needed ...

Lloris at 32 could play at least until his contract ends in 2022, we have Gazzaniga (27) as his back-up

Kane is 26 he just signed a new 5 year contract, what's your point mentioning him?

I love the incredible double standard in just a few posts - we are failing for not having signed new players - but if we do sign players it will mean more seasons of transition and we will be wasting away important time ... so which is it? Sign players and have transition, or don't sign players and have stability, not sure which side of that fence you're on ... sitting on it perhaps?

If Toby goes in the summer we will get a minimum 25m to buy a new CB, if Eriksen goes in the summer we will get +100m to sign three or four new players (remember the Bale money) that's just how we work ...

BaggyLoathsomeDeer-size_restricted.gif

DelayedSomeAlaskanmalamute-small.gif

Imagine the scenes.
Looks like Klopp's teeth are about to fall out!! :dembelelol:

If we as fans see extended contracts, certainly for Eriksen if not a now very likely to leave Alderweireld then it's one thing.

If we get to summer and there is still no attempt at filling the gaps in central midfield, attack and the full backs position then I think it is scandalous.

A club should not stand on a platform of ambition and act like a club on auction.

For now there is calm because of the Watford win and the weird results of the week. The transfer window is now closed and the next 3 days may bring results which turn the joy into despair.

Lets hope our next 14 games move us to a position of strength for the summer.

I think Batshuayi is actually a decent box finisher, he's just not great anywhere else and teams like us and Chelsea want more from forwards.

I think Palace are a team who've struggled to finish simple chances, and Batshuayi might just do a job for them.

Also, I think if we aren't going to have huge money to spend on a top notch CM, then I really don't know why Tielemans at 30m wouldn't have been worth Poch considering, he's a fuck load better 8 than Sissoko, and he's 9 years younger.

Edit

Especially as we could have had a look at him on loan first.

I guess we could still how he does at Leicester and make a move?

We have an average squad age of 25 years 1 month ... if we're in age trouble then the rest of the EPL must be well fucked ... what does "capitalizing on these players now" even mean? Sell them for loads of money? Play them every game till they break? what are you trying to say?

"Vertonghen is 31, Lloris is 32 and Harry will soon turn 26"

Vertongen has just extended his contract until 2020 ... we have Sanchez (22) Foyth (21) Davies (25) any one of whom can take his place, we also have 3 more transfer windows before he leaves if a new CB is needed ...

Lloris at 32 could play at least until his contract ends in 2022, we have Gazzaniga (27) as his back-up

Kane is 26 he just signed a new 5 year contract, what's your point mentioning him?

I love the incredible double standard in just a few posts - we are failing for not having signed new players - but if we do sign players it will mean more seasons of transition and we will be wasting away important time ... so which is it? Sign players and have transition, or don't sign players and have stability, not sure which side of that fence you're on ... sitting on it perhaps?

If Toby goes in the summer we will get a minimum 25m to buy a new CB, if Eriksen goes in the summer we will get +100m to sign three or four new players (remember the Bale money) that's just how we work ...
No, I'm saying we have an incredible team and we should not sell key players from it. We can't remove vital parts from our team, especially not ones we can't readily replace. We need to capitalize on our team now by building and adding players that can catapult us to challenging for trophies. We don't have forever

This lack of activity is painful because we have a team that is truly capable of winning things.
And if we don't strive to do that soon by adding more quality, the team would disperse like how dembele has left. Toby and Eriksen might be next.
Some current players would get better, while some will soon be caught up with age.

We are lucky to have HK but he will not be performing at his current level forever.
After HK, we might never see another striker of his caliber at the club for another century.

Interesting to see that this January transfer window saw the lowest collective spend across Premier League clubs in 7 years. Hasn't been less spent since 2012 and last summers window dropped significantly with £200m less spent than the following one as well.

Transfer deadline day: Slow deadline day caps quiet window

2.37950616.jpg

I wonder if a fair few teams have done their money with that quick hit of extra TV revenue all of them received. Could be a sign that the market is going to shift back to a more realistic playing field

And playing in our new stadium for the last quarter? The salt would be incredible. I actually think Liverpool would sue the league over an unfair advantage.
It’s gonna happen....I can see Pochettino standing over hot coals and an Anvil with a hammer in hand, the sweat running off his brow, forging a master key to the stadium out of the premier league trophy....

Player fees have gotten so out of control that unless you are 100% sure that a man is going to improve the squad then it’s better not to buy. There was no one available in this window that was a sure thing.

Player fees have gotten so out of control that unless you are 100% sure that a man is going to improve the squad then it’s better not to buy. There was no one available in this window that was a sure thing.

Whats a sure thing?

Audere Est Facere....

474 pages of wasted speculation. It’s like running down stairs on Christmas Day to find nada under the tree.

Big Sam was praising the Tottenham “strategy” on SKY though. Could evolve into the new chic way to go about it.

:levyeyes:

Back
Top Bottom