January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Modern football is governed by computerised stats nowadays, doesn't mean there aren't other glaring obvious things.

Third goal Wolves scored against us for example, you can read stats and compare this and that, here's a simple fact. Had someone lead the defensive line and stopped Winks from breaking it and play the Wolves player onside, there would have been no goal.

Would it be possible that the reason Grilitsch makes more interceptions that he is playing in a team that has less possession than their opponents?

Hoffenheim tend to have more possession than the majority of teams they play. Only 5 teams in the Bundesliga tend to have more possession in a match than them. Dortmund, who are top of the league. Bayern Munich, who are the best team in the country. RB Leipzig and Gladbach (who make up the rest of the top four) and Leverkusen.

I've questioned stats like that in the past, just like you have. If someone makes more tackles it could simply be because positionally they're not as good for example. But that's all I can really go off when giving someone a view of whether or not he'd be worth signing.

£18,000,000 is nothing in my opinion and if the reports are true that we've been scouting him and we sign him, then brilliant. I personally don't think we'll sign anyone this window.

Grillitsch wouldn't even be in my top 5 list of central midfield signings but as his name come up, I was providing stats in his favour. It's usually better than a compilation video (Though i do prefer the individual performance videos that show every touch or tackle as you can get a good idea of his decision making and positional sense in thsoe).

Hoffenheim tend to have more possession than the majority of teams they play. Only 5 teams in the Bundesliga tend to have more possession in a match than them. Dortmund, who are top of the league. Bayern Munich, who are the best team in the country. RB Leipzig and Gladbach (who make up the rest of the top four) and Leverkusen.

I've questioned stats like that in the past, just like you have. If someone makes more tackles it could simply be because positionally they're not as good for example. But that's all I can really go off when giving someone a view of whether or not he'd be worth signing.

£18,000,000 is nothing in my opinion and if the reports are true that we've been scouting him and we sign him, then brilliant. I personally don't think we'll sign anyone this window.

Grillitsch wouldn't even be in my top 5 list of central midfield signings but as his name come up, I was providing stats in his favour. It's usually better than a compilation video (Though i do prefer the individual performance videos that show every touch or tackle as you can get a good idea of his decision making and positional sense in thsoe).

No, I do get it, my initial post was a poor attempt at humour, but it's opened up another good debate.

I guess the problem is that we can't really do by anything else than stats due to how we operate. We can't really take punts on young players who might not make it, we can't pay big for older players. So at the end of the day Poch probably looks at the figures you mention and gets a lot more out of them than I would.

Sadly, I think this is a flawed method of transfer too as it brings about so many variables. But I guess why that's why I'm on here talking shite while Poch and his staff are running us fantastically well.

Grillitsch actually has very impressive stats for a 6.

2.3 tackles per game
2.1 interceptions per game
1.1 key passes per game
1 dribble per game

If we compare that to some other of central midfielders we've been linked with:

NDombele (22 years old):

1.8 tackles per game
0.5 interceptions per game
1.2 key passes per game
1.7 dribble per game

de Jong (21 years old):
1.4 tackles per game
1.6 interceptions per game
1.2 key passes per game
1.5 dribble per game

Rabiot (23 years old):
2.3 tackles per game
0.7 interceptions per game
0.4 key passes per game
0.9 dribble per game

Berge (20 years old):
2 tackles per game
1.3 interceptions per game
0.8 key passes per game
0.9 dribble per game

Diawara (21 years old):
1.1 tackle per game
0.8 interceptions per game
0.3 key passes per game
0.8 dribble per game

He looks like a very smart signing, especially if the release clause if just a measly £18,000,000. I still want Sander Berge personally and hope it's someone we aim to go for in the summer but I quite like the look of Grillitsch too if he's coming in to be a number 6 for us, break up play, win it back and move the ball forward.

Here we can compare to the midfielders we have who play the same position.

Winks (22 years old):
0.8 tackles per game
0.5 interceptions per game
0.5 key passes per game
0.7 dribbles per game

Sissoko (29 years old):
1 tackle per game
0.8 key passes per game
1.1 dribbles per game

Dier (24 years old):
1.3 tackles per game
0.3 key passes per game
0.2 dribbles per game

Dembele (31 years old):
1.4 tackles per game
0.6 interceptions per game
0.1 key passes per game
0.5 dribbles per game

He makes more tackles per game than Winks and Sissoko manage together. He also makes more interceptions than all of those 3 put together. Also shows off his #8 ability with the key passes too. For the price being touted, I'd say it was probably worth the gamble.

He's probably not our central midfield saviour but he'd add very good depth to it and could end up being an unsung hero if partnered well. I think him and Dele would work very well.
Nice but it's worth mentioning Darren Bent scored 24 goals in a season, once.

Never heard of this bloke but if hes a mobile "nuisance" type CM then im all for it, right age and plays for a possession based team already...

I bet you'd never heard of him until today but now he's a must buy!

:dembelelol:

I mean, I get a lot of fans don't watch other leagues ... but Hoffenheim was in the Champions League this year and are one of the better teams in Germany (fucking plastic club though) the past few years. Grillitsch played in all 6 CL matches for Hoffenheim and even scored a goal.

You may have not heard of him, but he's not an obscure player.

And the links to Grillitsch is nothing new ... Bild wrote about it nearly a month ago, saying his agent was in London talking to Woolwich and Spurs.

TSG Hoffenheim: Engländer jagen Grillitsch

BILD weiß: Woolwich London und Tottenham haben Österreichs Nationalspieler auf dem Zettel. Grillitsch-Berater Thomas Böhm reiste vergangene Woche bereits nach England. Um erste Gespräche zu führen?

Böhm sagt auf Nachfrage nur so viel: „Dass Flo mit seinen starken Leistungen im Blickfeld von Top-Klubs steht, ist kein großes Geheimnis. Aber er fühlt sich in Hoffenheim wohl und hat noch Ziele mit der TSG. Alles Weitere wird man sehen.“

SammyClogger will have you believe he's a winger.

"Rabiot is a DM"

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom