January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The game yesterday and our total failure to control central midfield made me feel really worried about signing Berge. It seemed like we needed some really quick/mobile/agile players to close down and make interceptions. Is Berge gonna be someone that can do that for us?

I'm almost feeling like we need to seek out a Kante/Torreira type more than a Berge/Matic type.

I’d love for us to sign a CM, but I find it very hard to believe anyone we bring in will be match fit and fit into Poch’s philosophy right away. I hope we sign a CM with the view for next season, whether that be a loan or just train with us, similar to Lucas last January.

I don’t see what is so wrong with cashing in on Dembele now and now replacing him. He’s hardly played and we’ve been fine. We have Eriksen, Dele, Sissoko, Winks, Skipp, Dier - we’re good. The money we get from Dembele can be put toward a CM either this window or in the summer.

Regarding Llorente, I see no reason to cash in unless we can either get a very good fee 8m+ or will replace this window. Otherwise, let’s keep him and use him off the bench or in cups. Cover for Kane in case of an injury or letting Kane rest even one game.

I’d love for us to sign a CM, but I find it very hard to believe anyone we bring in will be match fit and fit into Poch’s philosophy right away. I hope we sign a CM with the view for next season, whether that be a loan or just train with us, similar to Lucas last January.

I don’t see what is so wrong with cashing in on Dembele now and now replacing him. He’s hardly played and we’ve been fine. We have Eriksen, Dele, Sissoko, Winks, Skipp, Dier - we’re good. The money we get from Dembele can be put toward a CM either this window or in the summer.

Regarding Llorente, I see no reason to cash in unless we can either get a very good fee 8m+ or will replace this window. Otherwise, let’s keep him and use him off the bench or in cups. Cover for Kane in case of an injury or letting Kane rest even one game.
John McGinn

The game yesterday and our total failure to control central midfield made me feel really worried about signing Berge. It seemed like we needed some really quick/mobile/agile players to close down and make interceptions. Is Berge gonna be someone that can do that for us?

I'm almost feeling like we need to seek out a Kante/Torreira type more than a Berge/Matic type.
John McGinn

Don't give me trash highlight reels of some kid playing at Genk, get real. Fucking talk to me, because McGinn plying his trade at Aston Villa gets me more excited than someone without even an entire season in Belgium.

Go and look for a McGinn highlight reel with recent villa action. He is a special talent and a real consideration for us. You cunts thought I was mad, when in fact I have the most insightful footballing eye on this fucken forum.

Llorente is on 100k a week wages, that's a reason for me to sell as it frees up wages for toby/eriksen

Llorente is on 100k a week wages, that's a reason for me to sell as it frees up wages for toby/eriksen

Especially with the new stadium finalizing, I have a hard time believing it’s not in our budget to pay both and keep Llorente. I don’t think wages are the issue for Eriksen and I just dont think we value Toby to be what he values himself. I don’t think Llorente being here affects either of them getting a new deal.

I’d be absolutely astonished if we sign anyone this window.

I'd love to sign one good first team player, probably a CM or CM/AM, but history could be against that :

Jan 18 - Lucas Moura (exception to the rule or change in Spurs strategy of buying in Jan ?)
Jan 17 - None
Jan 16- Shilow Tracey (youth team player)
Jan 15- Dele Alli - Loaned back until July. so didn't play for Spurs until next season .
Jan 14 - None

I'd love to sign one good first team player, probably a CM or CM/AM, but history could be against that :

Jan 18 - Lucas Moura (exception to the rule or change in Spurs strategy of buying in Jan ?)
Jan 17 - None
Jan 16- Shilow Tracey (youth team player)
Jan 15- Dele Alli - Loaned back until July. so didn't play for Spurs until next season .
Jan 14 - None
True, though in none of those January windows had we signed zero players the preceding summer, and sold a player the level of Dembele.

True, though in none of those January windows had we signed zero players the preceding summer, and sold a player the level of Dembele.

Heart absolutely agrees.

Head says 'don't bet on it' !

I think if Dembele goes plus Janssen for a reasonable sum and maybe N'Koudou (but can't see anyone paying over say 10m) to free up squad places and funds, its down to whether we can entice a player of sufficient quality - I don't think Poch wants to buy squad players again although if a quality player isn't available he might buy a good prospect, but only if they are a significant upgrade on our own academy players.

Heart absolutely agrees.

Head says 'don't bet on it' !

I think if Dembele goes plus Janssen for a reasonable sum and maybe N'Koudou (but can't see anyone paying over say 10m) to free up squad places and funds, its down to whether we can entice a player of sufficient quality - I don't think Poch wants to buy squad players again although if a quality player isn't available he might buy a good prospect, but only if they are a significant upgrade on our own academy players.
Wishful thinking

Historically, it's taken 12+ months for most players to come, settle in, come to grips with what Poch wants from them, and find their groove. With this in mind, it's pretty amusing how people contort themselves over this window and showing ambition.

We're probably not signing anyone. And if we do they'll hardly play and/or be shit until next spring. And 60% of TFC will want them binned to Siberia. And around and around the transfer wheel spins.

:pritchardeyes:

:gallas:
Historically, it's taken 12+ months for most players to come, settle in, come to grips with what Poch wants from them, and find their groove. With this in mind, it's pretty amusing how people contort themselves over this window and showing ambition.

We're probably not signing anyone. And if we do they'll hardly play and/or be shit until next spring. And 60% of TFC will want them binned to Siberia. And around and around the transfer wheel spins.

:pritchardeyes:
12+ months?

I think Toby, Dele, Sanchez, Moura (only just been with us 12 months now), Wanyama, Davies and Trippier would all disagree there mate.

Even Wimmer was performing well early on, it was his second stint in the team where he tailed off. Vorm has always played at his level for us as well.

Son took a while to get going, we all know about Sissoko and Aurier has struggled with the Prem in general. The rest... Stambouli, N’Jie, N’Koudou etc. aren’t of the required level. Who knows if there is a Prem player in Jansen and to be fair to Foyth, he has been fast tracked from youth out of necessity and done very well.

Not to say I think we’ll sign anyone but 12+ months?

Back
Top Bottom