January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good point.

Do you think we would accept a high bid off United in January though? and strengthen them for the second half of the season where they could POTENTIALLY then overtake us?

I can't see it. I'd only see us selling Toby in January to a team oversees.
I think 50M or we keep him,

I think 50M or we keep him,

Yeah, we'll probably keep him.

No one will come in for £50,000,000 for him AND pay the wages he wants unless it's a massive club, who would probably rather wait until the summer where they can get him for half of that.

Lots of posters suggesting at least one overseas trained player joining.....and not considering how likely it is that we can offload 4 or more that we already have.

Better to understand that now and set people's aspirations accordingly.
It depends doesn't it, if the overseas is going to make an impact you drop those 4 that are not out of the squad list or give them a loan with us paying wages.

Yeah, we'll probably keep him.

No one will come in for £50,000,000 for him AND pay the wages he wants unless it's a massive club, who would probably rather wait until the summer where they can get him for half of that.
Man U are the only club that may if they want to keep Jose after the summer, if they have given up on him then no chance.

Anything less than £50M I cant see the value for us as we are more likely to finish in CL with him than getting £35M for him in January, the £10M isn't worth it.

I know he's Danish but does Philip Billing count as home-grown? I think he's brilliant to watch.

Just triple checked and found out he is. Would be a smart signing to be honest. I've liked what I've seen of him and feel like he'd comfortably make the step-up to a bigger club. He has Premier League experience and has shown improvement year on year.

Brilliant defensively and allows other players to create. No player has made more tackles in a single game than Billing did yesterday against Bournemouth and only two players in the league have made more successful tackles than him this season (Gueye and Wan-Bissaka).

I've kept an eye out of or him ever since I saw him impress for Huddersfield against Man City in the FA Cup back in the 16/17 season. He was about 20 years old then too and completely dominated midfield.

Would be cheaper than the usual Dembele replacements banded about but would probably be relatively risk-free and cheaper than all of them.

I have loved what I have seen from him and he is smooth on the ball.

Billing is better defensively, I would say.
I wouldn't be against the signing. Would have been good to get him in with Dembele for a season, as he could have learned a lot.

Midfield is certainly the area we need to focus on, so players like Billing would be ideal where he ticks both midfield and homegrown. Billing and Grealish would be very welcome.

I wouldn't be against the signing. Would have been good to get him in with Dembele for a season, as he could have learned a lot.

Midfield is certainly the area we need to focus on, so players like Billing would be ideal where he ticks both midfield and homegrown. Billing and Grealish would be very welcome.

Oh definitely.

Don't think Billing is the answer (Could be?) but he's homegrown, has that footballing physique of being 6 ft 4 yet graceful in midfield, defensively solid and as you say home grown. Would be nice to get him in to fill that home grown quota and also bring in someone else in the summer like Haidara/Diawara/Lobotka etc.

I imagine we'll end up going for Kurzawa in the summer.
Get an erratic left back, to go with our erratic right back.

In an ideal world, which never exists as a Spurs fan during a transfer window(s), I would like to see Llorente, Janssen, N'Koudou, Dembele, Wanyama and if he won't sign a new contract, Alderweireld shipped out over the next 2 windows. Thats 6 foreign players shipped out, leaving us room to bring in a couple of foreign players.

If we were then to go and bring in players such as Ake or De ligt, Billing, Grealish and a good striker like Callum Wilson, we would be in a much better position. However with the players listed as outgoings, I reckon we'd make a maximum of £50-60m, whilst the incomings I reckon are £150m+.

Get an erratic left back, to go with our erratic right back.

In an ideal world, which never exists as a Spurs fan during a transfer window(s), I would like to see Llorente, Janssen, N'Koudou, Dembele, Wanyama and if he won't sign a new contract, Alderweireld shipped out over the next 2 windows. Thats 6 foreign players shipped out, leaving us room to bring in a couple of foreign players.

If we were then to go and bring in players such as Ake or De ligt, Billing, Grealish and a good striker like Callum Wilson, we would be in a much better position. However with the players listed as outgoings, I reckon we'd make a maximum of £50-60m, whilst the incomings I reckon are £150m+.
Honestly we're not going to sign another stricker , and if we do it's not going to be someone of Wilson's level, he's competing with Kane for the golden boot currently , in the England squad, why would he come here to sit on our bench. Also replacing Dembele and Wanyama with Billing and Grealish is quite literally a nightmare scenario, these are Everton/Leicester level signings, we're above this.

Back
Top Bottom