January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That is a fucking great point you make there tbf mate.

Cheers.

I really don't get those who seem content with it as it is.

Sure we overachieve, look a united team and compete. On that score we are nearly without equal in what we do but is it wrong as a fan to want and believe we can still get more?

So mine is very straightforward.

It's like for some posters even if we could get an Aubameyang, Lacazette or Cavani for example (and there are good strikers who would play second fiddle to Kane) that we wouldn't, not because of anything other than they would not want to sit on the bench. Or that it would not give us an even better chance to win silverware.

I am just baffled by that notion.

Last edited:
I mean, unless you can prove otherwise that having another striker would have seen us win things, be my guest.

I've already proved that without a back up striker we're on a 13 game unbeaten run whilst smashing Chelsea away for the first time in 25 years, scoring 20+ goals, conceding less than a goal a game and dismantling Guardiola's Man City...

You can argue having no decent midfield depth has cost us and I'd probably agree with you but laughable to think a back up for Kane is an issue.

We can have as many strikers as we please but without a functioning midfield that can deliver the ball to them we won't score nearly enough goals.

Games are won by your attacking players. Leagues are won by strong defenses and midfields

I would go for Marcos Llorente. Talented DM, good with the ball. Madrid won't sell him, but if we can get him on a loan, why not. Try and buy him in the summer perhaps. Just a thought.

Its silly doing transfers in winter. I have thinking and it always be. The players dont have any major impact in the season when signed in January. Look at Moura, he's doing things just now. But would not mind buying CM/Wilson.

And or signing contract with Toby or selling him for 25/30M and bringing De Ligt in.

Sorry but utterly ridiculous and massively incorrect.

It is now like Brexit and this striker issue.

Kane is superb but can lose form, get injured or need support.

Son or Moura are decent options but not strikers. Anyone who understands football should be able to see that.

In key games and for that difference between being a competitor or being a likely winner that difference is most evident. See yesterday with no Aguero for City.

My view is 100% that without a second/other striker who can effectively lead the line in Kane's absence for whatever reason that we will win nothing.

That until we add 2/3 players to the current group we will continue to challenge but not get past the winning line.

Why do we need another striker? 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and 3 semi-final losses that's why.
Explain to me how another striker would have had us beat Utd and Chelsea in those Semi-finals?

FYI - Even if Kane loses form, he starts when fit.

Its silly doing transfers in winter. I have thinking and it always be. The players dont have any major impact in the season when signed in January. Look at Moura, he's doing things just now. But would not mind buying CM/Wilson.

And or signing contract with Toby or selling him for 25/30M and bringing De Ligt in.
Is the one caveat to this trying to sign players from leagues that finish around this time?

Getting someone in from the MLS or a South American league would be easier in January, no?

Cheers.

I really don't get those who seem content with it as it is.

Sure we overachieve, look a united team and compete. On that score we are nearly without equal in what we do but is it wrong as a fan to want and believe we can still get more?

So mine is very straightforward.

It's like for some posters even if we could get an Aubameyang, Lacazette or Cavani for example (and there are good strikers who would play second fiddle to Kane) that we wouldn't, not because of anything other than they would not want to sit on the bench. Or that it would not give us an even better chance to win silverware.

I am just baffled by that notion.

Strange that you don't understand the basic rules .... it's a maximum 11 a side .... we can't play an additional striker without dropping a current player .... so who's out Kane? Son? Dele? Lucas? Lamela?

You are aware that Spurs are the only EPL side who have three current front line players with over 50 EPL goals each ... but hey let's bin one of those, for a theoretically 'better' bench warmer ....

I'm baffled by the notion that you can fit 3 strikers on the pitch at once ... or indeed that when Kane (or Dele, Son, etc.) hasn't played our results have been worse ... they haven't ....

Sure having the top five strikers in Europe would be good ... but there are rules, you can only play eleven players and can only have a squad of 25 players (17 non home-grown) ....

So who are you kicking out? let's start with that ....

25 Squad players (*Home grown)

Alderweireld, Toby Albertine
Alli, Bamidele Jermaine*
Aurier, Serge
Davies, Benjamin Thomas*
Dembele, Mousa
Dier, Eric Jeremy Edgar
Eriksen, Christian
Gazzaniga, Paulo Dino
Heung-min, Son
Kane, Harry*
Lamela, Erik
Llorente Torres, Fernando Javier
Lloris, Hugo
Nkoudou Mbida, Georges-Kevin
Ogilvie, Connor Stuart*
Rodrigues Moura da Silva, Lucas
Rose, Daniel Lee*
Sanchez Mina, Davinson
Sissoko, Moussa
Trippier, Kieran John*
Vertonghen, Jan
Vorm, Michel
Wanyama, Victor
Winks, Harry*

and don't forget by signing highly paid bench warmers you will also be blocking all our under 21's from moving up ..... so no future Kane's, Wink's etc .....

U21 players (Contracts and Scholars)

Amos, Luke Ayodele
Asante, Enock Amponsah
Austin, Brandon Anthon
Bennett, J'Neil Lloyd
Binks, Luis Thomas
Bowden, Jamie Patrick
Brown, Jaden
Carter-Vickers, Cameron
Cirkin, Dennis
Clarke, Rayan Romario
Cooper, Chay
De Bie, Jonathan
Dinzeyi, Jonathan Toko Lema
Duncan, Dylan
Edwards, Marcus
Eyoma, Timothy Joel
Fagan-Walcott, Malachi Michael
Foyth, Juan Marcos
Freeman, Charlie
Georgiou, Anthony Michael
Glover, Thomas William
Harrison, Shayon
Hinds, Tariq Devontae Aaron
Kurylowicz, Kacper
Lyons-Foster, Brooklyn
Maghoma, Edmond-Paris
Markanday, Dilan Kumar
Marsh, George Owen
Mukendi, Jeremie
Oakley-Boothe, Tashan
Okedina, Jubril Adesope
Oluwayemi, Oluwaferanmi Joshua Chibuzo
Onomah, Joshua
Parrott, Troy Daniel
Patterson, Phoenix MacLaren
Pedder, Rafferty
Pochettino, Maurizio
Reynolds, Jamie Joe
Richards, Rodel
Roles, Jack
Shashoua, Armando
Shashoua, Samuel
Skipp, Oliver William
Statham, Maxwell Louis
Sterling, Kazaiah
Tainio, Maximus Mikael
Tanganga, Japhat Manzambi
Thorpe, Elliot Morgan
Tracey, Shilow
Walker-Peters, Kyle
White, Harvey David
Whiteman, Alfie

Last edited:
That is a fucking great point you make there tbf mate.
giphy.gif

Its silly doing transfers in winter. I have thinking and it always be. The players dont have any major impact in the season when signed in January.
I disagree. Winter signings are ideal as it gives the player enough time to adjust to life at Spurs and hit the ground running in August.

Back
Top Bottom