January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The point is improvement. If we could somehow ship LLorente and Janssen, finding someone homegrown, i.e. Wilson or younger would be worth it. Probably saving money long-term.

But it's a waste signing an out and out striker. An absolute waste of money.

Improvement would be signing a player who can play outwide but also deputise as a central striker. We were linked with both Plea and Martial in the summer so definitely something Poch is thinking about. I don't think Son is good enough to play centrally. Actually prefer Lamela there.

Arnautovic wants out of West Ham. I would genuinely take him. He would a great player to bring in to play with Kane, or play in the place of Kane when needed. He's 29, so wouldn't pay over the top but he's too good for West Ham.
Someone who is braying for a move away from his club before Christmas is even upon us?

latest

And I say that as someone who thinks Arnautovic would be a great asset in terms of skill - but his mentality/attitude and Poch seem like a disastrous combination.

Improvement would be signing a player who can play outwide but also deputise as a central striker. We were linked with both Plea and Martial in the summer so definitely something Poch is thinking about. I don't think Son is good enough to play centrally. Actually prefer Lamela there.
God damn it, I wish we could have somehow gotten Martial done (improbable though it always felt).

I can't stand watching players we maybe-kinda-almost get turn it on and look great - see also: the pipe dream of Isco.

FragrantScratchyHarrier-size_restricted.gif

I like Martial, I would have taken him. Kane, Son and Dele are all better strikers than Llorente, Lamela, or Eriksen in my opinion. In fact it isn't even opinion, we score the most goals when those three are the three furthest forward in a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3. No doubt due to pace, or ability to get in behind and make direct runs on a counter. That, by the way, is the reason to sign an out and out striker. It is an aspect we lack in the squad.

I like Martial, I would have taken him. Kane, Son and Dele are all better strikers than Llorente, Lamela, or Eriksen in my opinion. In fact it isn't even opinion, we score the most goals when those three are the three furthest forward in a 4-3-3. No doubt due to pace, or ability to get in behind and make direct runs on a counter. That, by the way, is the reason to sign an out and out striker. It is an aspect we lack in the squad.
I'm a little late to the 4-3-3 discussion, but might it also be said that the formation would potentially solve the Kane-Lucas conundrum?

At the moment, we seem to be stuck in a situation where one scores at the expense of the other. Perhaps a 4-3-3 would rectify that.
:kanehand:

I like Martial, I would have taken him. Kane, Son and Dele are all better strikers than Llorente, Lamela, or Eriksen in my opinion. In fact it isn't even opinion, we score the most goals when those three are the three furthest forward in a 4-3-3. No doubt due to pace, or ability to get in behind and make direct runs on a counter. That, by the way, is the reason to sign an out and out striker. It is an aspect we lack in the squad.

Having a striker is an aspect we lack?

Kane is our striker. We tried with Janssen and Llorente and both couldn't do a job. We haven't lacked back up strikers at Tottenham ever. The issue over the last 5 years is that none of them are Harry Kane.

He is NEVER going to be dropped in the league. I don't mind having a young striker but he needs to be 18/19 years old and realise he is only going to be playing League Cup games and the odd FA Cup game. Simple as that.

If any "striker" is going to come to us, he needs to be able to play out wide. So he can also play whilst Kane is up top.

I'm a little late to the 4-3-3 discussion, but might it also be said that the formation would potentially solve the Kane-Lucas conundrum?

At the moment, we seem to be stuck in a situation where one scores at the expense of the other. Perhaps a 4-3-3 would rectify that.

I think the main issue is that Lucas isn't particularly that good in a 433 and if we do go forward with 433 it's him OR Son and not both.

Darn, I was rather hoping that he and Son would be able to play in it either side of Kane (perhaps when against a team parking the bus).

Out of interest, do Brazil go with a 4-3-3?

Sort of yeah.

Neymar, Gabriel and Firmino started up top for them last time they played. Coutinho often is part of that 3 too.

Re 4-3-3, I actually meant to say 3-4-3. It is a system we used effectively towards the end of last season, and against BvB etc. when we had the luxury at centre-back and full-back and defensive midfield.

And yes, we lack a striker with pace that goes in behind, even if it is a deputy 17 year old kid who we form to replace Kane.

Re 4-3-3, I actually meant to say 3-4-3. It is a system we used effectively towards the end of last season, and against BvB etc. when we had the luxury at centre-back and full-back and defensive midfield.

And yes, we lack a striker with pace that goes in behind, even if it is a deputy 17 year old kid who we form to replace Kane.
Ah. I mean, the 3-4-3 could be worth dusting off as it seems to get the best out of Trippier (certainly for England) - allowing him the freedom to get up the wing and deliver crosses while giving him less defensive burden.

I haven't played FM19 yet, any good?

Barella is a good player though and shown as much this season - only issue I would have is that not MANY Italians come over to England and find success. It would also be far too much when we could probably get Diawara for a similar price (Who is the better player)

Though £35,000,000 seems to be the new £10,000,000 in modern day football. He is absolutely nothing like Dembele though, he's definitely more Winks, probably a better end product than Winks if anything. Him and Winks in midfield would be excellent as both like to play football but they would 100% need a ball winner with them in a 433.

Here's a clip of him against Milan.

I know people don't tend to like YouTube comps and prefer these every touch videos to gauge a better understanding. As you can see he's a good little player but he IS very little and MAY get bullied in the Premier League.

He might be small but he looks to have great balance and lower body strength. I feel we have stayed away from these smaller technical players since Modric left and we have been sorely missing them. The best teams have ball players and to me he seems to fit that bill

That left back from Betis I keep banging on about (Junior Firpo)scored against Barcelona at the weekend.

Hopefully we persevere in the summer.

He has a £45,000,000 release clause. Get it done.

Last edited:
One player who I’d have loved to have signed, and maybe sign in the future is Oscar.

Kid has so much potential, younger than Hazard and has just bagged 22 assists in 29 games in China.

We need options and more options. We don't and should not have one set way of playing because at that point and unless we are the very best we get caught out.

Back
Top Bottom