January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We should be all over Maja with 6 months left on his contract. I'm also hugely impressed with Jack Clarke at Leeds, he's definitely someone I think could become a top player at a club like ours.

Maja, Jack Clarke & Ryan Sessegnon would be a great foundation to the HG youth needed at our club

No way we'd spend £40m on a player we could have got for £10m 6 months ago.

I think the kid is class, always have but this ain't happening anytime soon in my opinion

Seems to be how some of our fanbase prefer to do things though.......good scouting and foresight is being cheap.

Waiting a year and paying five times the price for the same player is next level

Seems to be how some of our fanbase prefer to do things though.......good scouting and foresight is being cheap.

Waiting a year and paying five times the price for the same player is next level

Idiotic way of thinking isn't it? If there's £40m to spend I'd much rather see if thrown at Sessegnon, Clarke & Maja who we could probably get for how much Brooks would cost seeing as Maja has 6 months left of his contract, Sessegnon hasn't lit up the league and Clarke has about a dozen games to his name.

Idiotic way of thinking isn't it? If there's £40m to spend I'd much rather see if thrown at Sessegnon, Clarke & Maja who we could probably get for how much Brooks would cost seeing as Maja has 6 months left of his contract, Sessegnon hasn't lit up the league and Clarke has about a dozen games to his name.
Speaking of young Sessegnon, this season is flown by and I havnt seen nor heard much about him (got to admit I don’t really watch nor do I care about other teams these days the way I once did) So what I’m asking really is, Is he a player we would still be interested in do you think?
Pending Fulhams inevitable relegation surly they will need to offload a few, and we may not have to sell Harry Kane this time around to meet Fulhams valuation of Sessegnon.
But the big question is, what do we do with him? If Pochettino thinks he can be a winger then I’m all over that. We have all but abandoned the whole wing back thing so that idea might be moot. We of course would snap a hand off for a World class left back if available to replace one of our current two, but is Sessegnon that guy?

Speaking of young Sessegnon, this season is flown by and I havnt seen nor heard much about him (got to admit I don’t really watch nor do I care about other teams these days the way I once did) So what I’m asking really is, Is he a player we would still be interested in do you think?
Pending Fulhams inevitable relegation surly they will need to offload a few, and we may not have to sell Harry Kane this time around to meet Fulhams valuation of Sessegnon.
But the big question is, what do we do with him? If Pochettino thinks he can be a winger then I’m all over that. We have all but abandoned the whole wing back thing so that idea might be moot. We of course would snap a hand off for a World class left back if available to replace one of our current two, but is Sessegnon that guy?

I've seen a bit of him and from what I've seen he struggled at first and has slowly grown into the pace of the league, even though physically he still isn't there. A year of Premier League experience would have done him the world of good and still only 18 I'd definitely take him on.

If Fulham go down they won't really have a leg to stand on and I think an offer around £25m would be a fair price to them for a player who still needs work and might never make the grade. His raw skills would be worth that alone. I'd focus on making him a full back more than a wide forward however

Quite literally nobody has ever said this, yet year in, year out you repeat it as if it were verbatim.

Are you hearing voices in your head Sammy?

Quite literally nobody has ever said this, yet year in, year out you repeat it as if it were verbatim.

Are you hearing voices in your head Sammy?

But we don’t spend enough Bill....we need to spend BIG!!!!!!!

So clearly signing world class players like Dele for 5M, Eriksen for 14M, Toby and Jan for a combined 26M and Son for 22M while bringing through the best striker in the world from our academy are all signs of a poorly run club with no ambition who only bargain basement shop and who’s chairman is a tight greedy cunt.

Right?

I can only assume that had we spent 400M on those players, instead of 67M, certain people would be less harsh on the owners.
Deny it all you want, but you know full well that’s the case.

Sessegnon at 25 million would be a risk but it might be the risk you take if you see evidence of improvement to come.

Bale at 18 would have offered nothing more than Sessegnon in that same Fulham side. I would take him.

Ranieri will get money from a very rich Khan and they only need to top 3 teams to stay up. Very doable in my opinion and it might be that Sessegnon is waiting for that.

The sub plot is our manager. If Pochettino wants Sessegnon it depends Where he lays his hat next season as to how much he pushes Levy now, if of course he still holds an interest. One must presume one of our attacking players will depart in the next 12 - 18 months so I think prudent acquisition now heads that off somewhat.

Of our transfer ambitions, it is too basic to talk of those players we have picked up relatively cheaply as though all become stars in the same way it would be entirely inaccurate to say BIG transfer fees will bring quality (maybe) but guaranteed success (less certain).

As things stand though and looking at a year's time and if we assume Pochettino is still with us, I still maintain a striker, a central midfielder, a 3rd goalie and I think 2 defenders (One full back) and a central defender (if Alderweireld goes) are needed.

But the only justification in spending nada for a whole season is knowing your targets going forward and knowing you will get them at the price you are willing to pay. I still say that is s big big leap of faith and confidence.

And in the meantime some promising players must be slipping by.

But we don’t spend enough Bill....we need to spend BIG!!!!!!!

So clearly signing world class players like Dele for 5M, Eriksen for 14M, Toby and Jan for a combined 26M and Son for 22M while bringing through the best striker in the world from our academy are all signs of a poorly run club with no ambition who only bargain basement shop and who’s chairman is a tight greedy cunt.

Right?

I can only assume that had we spent 400M on those players, instead of 67M, certain people would be less harsh on the owners.
Deny it all you want, but you know full well that’s the case.
I refer you to my earlier post.

Still, I suppose we're making progress of a kind. You haven't mentioned people suggesting we sign Messi and Ronaldo, as in previous windows

Hopefully this window that bald barstard Levy can get his wallet out and sign Messi, even Ronaldo would be acceptable otherwise what a tight cunt.

We don’t need good scouting that’s cheap IMO.

I refer you to my earlier post.

Still, I suppose we're making progress of a kind. You haven't mentioned people suggesting we sign Messi and Ronaldo, as in previous windows

No but I still giggle at the demand for "Marquee signings".......like Sessengon and Malcom....

And while the sarcasm of signing Messi clearly went over your head, I do remember people saying we have to spend to compete with City.....maybe you can deny that too

Sessegnon at 25 million would be a risk but it might be the risk you take if you see evidence of improvement to come.

Bale at 18 would have offered nothing more than Sessegnon in that same Fulham side. I would take him.

Ranieri will get money from a very rich Khan and they only need to top 3 teams to stay up. Very doable in my opinion and it might be that Sessegnon is waiting for that.

The sub plot is our manager. If Pochettino wants Sessegnon it depends Where he lays his hat next season as to how much he pushes Levy now, if of course he still holds an interest. One must presume one of our attacking players will depart in the next 12 - 18 months so I think prudent acquisition now heads that off somewhat.

Of our transfer ambitions, it is too basic to talk of those players we have picked up relatively cheaply as though all become stars in the same way it would be entirely inaccurate to say BIG transfer fees will bring quality (maybe) but guaranteed success (less certain).

As things stand though and looking at a year's time and if we assume Pochettino is still with us, I still maintain a striker, a central midfielder, a 3rd goalie and I think 2 defenders (One full back) and a central defender (if Alderweireld goes) are needed.

But the only justification in spending nada for a whole season is knowing your targets going forward and knowing you will get them at the price you are willing to pay. I still say that is s big big leap of faith and confidence.

And in the meantime some promising players must be slipping by.

Unearthing a Dele for £5m is a rare thing. £10m 4-5 years ago is today's £30m. I definitely think that if Fulham go down Sessegnon will be ripe for picking & will set us up at left back for years to come. Saying that I really like the look of Arthur Zagre at PSG. A 16 year old kid with bags of potential and I've always had a soft spot for Zinchenko and his versatility but no way they'd sell to us.

I say we keep sticking to the whole buying talent 18-22. The Foyths, Davies, Deles, Eriksens & Sonnys. I really wouldn't like to see us starting blowing our money it hasn't worked for us in the past and I don't see enough genuine quality out there to convince me a £60m player is really worth the risk.

De Jong maybe, but signings like Berge would keep me just as happy. Let Pochettino breed a warrior, not some playboy hunk who'll bat their eyelids towards Spain the moment Marca drop their knickers for him

Last edited:
Pochettino just said our second half performance was the best he's ever seen from Tottenham in his four and half years managing us.

I doubt that's a cause for signing new players this window (In Pochs eyes)

Back
Top Bottom