January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

by the way - looking at the thread above - I've never said we could go for Asensio as much as I'd love it - because his history is deep with Real. But Isco is a different story. Obviously - we'd love both of them

We need some quality - in the big positions - frankly - we need a young 'ball playing' goalkeeper, a hardcore defensive midfielder, and.. that would probably do it

Should be after Onana at Ajax as a long-term replacement for Hugo. Not for this window, maybe not even summer but he's going to be up there given how well he's performing at his age, in champions league matches. Probably need to get rid of Vorm and Gazza and then bring in a HG keeper if that were to occur.

Unless we're going to get all our next players from the youth team we're going to have to get them elsewhere. I don't see why we can't buy them from other big teams. If Isco is out of favour he might be available. Look at Moura.
You understand the concept of leverage, right? He makes a median wage at the richest club in the world who have put an (even for Citeh) unplayable buyout clause on his contract. Whether he's out of favour or not, there's no way to maneuver for him. He will go where Real decides he will go, and they don't need money...so his value to them will be to secure a prized target of theirs. Meaning Kane or Eriksen goes the other way for us to sign Isco - and fuck that.

You understand the concept of leverage, right? He makes a median wage at the richest club in the world who have put an (even for Citeh) unplayable buyout clause on his contract. Whether he's out of favour or not, there's no way to maneuver for him. He will go where Real decides he will go, and they don't need money...so his value to them will be to secure a prized target of theirs. Meaning Kane or Eriksen goes the other way for us to sign Isco - and fuck that.
Aren't Real in a fair bit of debt and about to accumulate even more when they start building their over 600 million euro new stadium?

They aren't poor and certainly not just scraping by. But I do think they need to start making some extra money

Last edited:
Aren't Real in a fair bit of debt and about to accumulate even more when they start building their over 600 million euro new stadium?

They aren't poor and certainly not just scraping by. But I do think they need to start making some extra money
Listening to The Totally Football Show podcast yesterday, and a 'Spanish football expert' said that Isco was definitely out of favour - along with some sort of conflict with other players - and the guy reckoned he will be on the way out, if not in Jan then at the end of the season.

Listening to The Totally Football Show podcast yesterday, and a 'Spanish football expert' said that Isco was definitely out of favour - along with some sort of conflict with other players - and the guy reckoned he will be on the way out, if not in Jan then at the end of the season.
But is he at odds with Solari or with Perez?

That to me is going to be a deciding factor in if he leaves or not. If Perez wants to keep Isco he is going to make sure that Isco stays

Their debt/value ratio is 2%. Ours is 19%. Madrid are the richest club in the world...I don't think they'll start selling players to balance the books any time soon.

“I would not be disappointed if we didn’t sign anyone,” Pochettino said. “I know very well that January is always difficult and look what happened to different players that arrived last January. It takes time to understand and perform, to fit with the team.

“Sometimes it’s better not to sign if you don’t find the right player. And players who maybe don’t play too much need to go and play in another club. Maybe the best decision is to send them on loan or sell them.”

Calling John Thomas John Thomas the codebreaker, time to break out the Enigma Machine John and decipher Poch's words.

Digital_rain_animation_medium_letters_shine.gif

It's clear from his words he's hoping for reinforcements for the long season ahead. What manager wouldn't when you're challenging on 4 fronts?
However, what's also clear is that he's almost resigned himself to the fact he probably won't get any. And rather than throw his toys out the pram prematurely, he's once again acting like the consumate proffessional we know he is.
With Utd and Real Madrid job offers lurking round the corner, they're worrying words indeed.

It's clear from his words he's hoping for reinforcements for the long season ahead. What manager wouldn't when you're challenging on 4 fronts?
However, what's also clear is that he's almost resigned himself to the fact he probably won't get any. And rather than throw his toys out the pram prematurely, he's once again acting like the consumate proffessional we know he is.
With Utd and Real Madrid job offers lurking round the corner, they're worrying words indeed.

If he said "I'll sign a six year contract because I believe in DL and Tottenham's plans for the future" JT would still interpret this as a sure sign he's pissed off and leaving .... when your mind becomes unhinged it's amazing what nonsense it can invent ... JT seek help before it's too late ....

and FFS use spellcheck consumate? proffessional?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom