January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Buy no one. Check on Onomah and Carter-Vickers to see if they need to move to other clubs or are fine where they are.

Start looking for CMs to sign in June if Dembele is broken enough he should retire.

Under no circumstances listen to any idiot suggesting signing Bale or Vardy. Bale is 29, and has consistent injury problems. Vardy is 29 and essentially a one-season wonder.
Just don’t get the Bale “love in”- based on his sicknotes alone. Not even thinking about his wage demands, his hair bands or the manner in which he fucked us over to get his dream move. A fully fit Bale is a beast. But he has a career littered with mid term injuries & at his age, he isn’t suddenly going to mend & be an ever present.

He was great for us.
He dumped us.
He is now Madrid’s injury problem. Not ours.

Buy no one. Check on Onomah and Carter-Vickers to see if they need to move to other clubs or are fine where they are.

Start looking for CMs to sign in June if Dembele is broken enough he should retire.

Under no circumstances listen to any idiot suggesting signing Bale or Vardy. Bale is 29, and has consistent injury problems. Vardy is 29 and essentially a one-season wonder.

Or Barkley cos hes pish.

And the midfielders that are injured now won't be injured in January.
So why would we want to buy Barkley to replace fit players??

Especially since it's been agreed he's gash.

I must have missed the meeting when it was agreed he was shit - I think we will get him for sub £20M in Jan or free in the summer, I would be shocked if has not been tapped up based on his decisions in the Summer.

You have injuries and think wow it would be great to get another body in the MF just in case this happens again. Injuries now influence that decision, also as it has come out that Wanyama may have the touch of the lamella's about his injury perhaps this would influence his decision.

I must have missed the meeting when it was agreed he was shit - I think we will get him for sub £20M in Jan or free in the summer, I would be shocked if has not been tapped up based on his decisions in the Summer.

You have injuries and think wow it would be great to get another body in the MF just in case this happens again. Injuries now influence that decision, also as it has come out that Wanyama may have the touch of the lamella's about his injury perhaps this would influence his decision.

The meeting was in the transfer thread so no surprise you missed it.
If I remember correctly it was sandwiched between nonsense about tricky wingers and Martial.

Anyway there were a few that thought he was the dogs bollocks but it turned out they just meant bollocks.
Vote was something along the lines of ...
Pish: 273
Not Pish: 1

The guy that voted "Not Pish" is sadly no longer with us :)

Saying that if Poch decides otherwise then I welcome him with open arms.
I doubt we'd sign him in January anyway just because of injuries.
Have we made any signings in January under Poch?
We're coping quite fine without Wanyama and Dembele and Lamela is due back very soon now as well.

I suspect the spat between Barkley and Koeman was something to do with a January move.
We'll find out soon enough.

People who are pining for Bale you must think that he's on 300k a week. One, we can't afford that. Two, if we could we should give that money to Harry Kane, Toby Alderweireld, Christian Eriksen, Harry Winks, Hugo Lloris etc.

Not to mention he's just so injured. Before his injury he was Real's best player but that's no good for 3 months at a time.

We must move on from Bale.

The meeting was in the transfer thread so no surprise you missed it.
If I remember correctly it was sandwiched between nonsense about tricky wingers and Martial.

Anyway there were a few that thought he was the dogs bollocks but it turned out they just meant bollocks.
Vote was something along the lines of ...
Pish: 273
Not Pish: 1

The guy that voted "Not Pish" is sadly no longer with us :)

Saying that if Poch decides otherwise then I welcome him with open arms.
I doubt we'd sign him in January anyway just because of injuries.
Have we made any signings in January under Poch?
We're coping quite fine without Wanyama and Dembele and Lamela is due back very soon now as well.

I suspect the spat between Barkley and Koeman was something to do with a January move.
We'll find out soon enough.
Koeman has gone - still think we will get Barkley. He has seen the power of Poch and wants in.

Koeman has gone - still think we will get Barkley. He has seen the power of Poch and wants in.

expect a new coach will come in and put an arm around Barkley knowing he can make a difference. Will he then sign a new contract with them? Who knows... don't know enough about the player to comment. Maybe the new coach will want a couple of his own players so £20m from the sale will come in handy. Saying that is Levy believes he wants to come he will keep his powder dry and get him in the summer. I guess that's unless Poch wants to push on...

I am convinced its a done deal with us either for a reasonable fee in January or free in the summer. The way he talked about the Chelsea deal and has had no interest in signing for Everton (they offered him £150K) even when he / they were doing well.

Nice one!
£80 despite Bilic's efforts.
BBC were running a story saying that he was expected to be in charge at next game as their main headline.
I read that all of 20 mins ago.

Course he wants to come here but him being pish is still a bit of road block :)

He is not shit - I do think he is at a crucial point where he will be shit or very good.

I don't actually like him that much, just don't think he is shit and do think we will sign him

* 2017/18 - Ross Barkley pretty much a thread where the same people saying he was shit now begging him to sign a new contract.

Last edited:

So would Mark Feckin Noble... Not keen on signing him either. : P

Point being, even consider Poch's alleged previous interest, by the time RB becomes available on our terms (which likely means next summer) we may be able to be more picky and/or have identified alternative targets.

Boy may have missed a whole (key development) year of his career by then too which leaves us in Berahino territory (and he looks finished).

Not interested in an injury recovering Barkley, can't really distinguish between him and Wheelchair if you ask me. Promising young English players whose careers were ruined by a press too eager to anoint the next great English midfielder.

Only reason to take him would be get him free in the summer, let Poch polish the turd for 10 months and flog him off to Citeh when they need an English name to make up the squad numbers.

Doubt we do any January business to be honest. Need to try and keep the core on board. Think Rose is most likely to leave in the summer. If that’s all and we get a replacement we should be good.

Doubt we do any January business to be honest. Need to try and keep the core on board. Think Rose is most likely to leave in the summer. If that’s all and we get a replacement we should be good.
The only player signed in the January window since Poch arrived was Dele, and he was immediately loaned back to Dons for the rest of the season. We do seem to take advantage and shift out surplus players to trim the budget/squad numbers to get a head start on prioritising the summer shopping.

Image there are a number of players feeling the pressure in training. Janssen's move may become permanent, and maybe GKN needs to be showing something in training at least.

I think you'll see far more activity than you expect ... not 'starting 11' signings but deals like the Dele one ... promising youngsters signed and then loaned back ... this massively helps smaller clubs financially without costing us very much ... much as I dislike Chelski having 35 players out on loan, from which they can pick the best four or five and sell the rest at a profit in the last 5 years they've made 438m from sales, the next best was us at 383m .... this allows you to spend big and still balance the books, Chelski have spent net 163m in the last five years compare that to City 500m, Utd 480m, and Woolwich 250m ... the FA should ban this practice but until they do it makes perfect sense ....

Quite hard to fully assess Barkley. Koeman treated him atrociously and used him to try and stamp his authority on the club. And the last season or two under Martinez were a mess. We'll only see the best of him when he gets a move away to a better club, with better players and a decent manager. He's very strong, can shoot with either foot and see and play a pass. Could be a great option in CM, particularly if Dembele's body isn't up to it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom