Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For a big player like Jan to be lacking fitness levels to such an extent he's not even on the bench is still surprising - is he carrying an injury or something? I don't remember how he played preseason tbh - was he really that bad?
I only remember one pre season game from him and he was shocking in that one. I think it was first half vs United?

EC2LrJ8XkAAxz3U.jpg:large

Black eye

He won't be sold.

He'll probably be brought back in for the North London Derby - though I get flashbacks to when he was brought back in for the NLD last season and he gave away a penalty and got sent off and started to look his age a bit.

I don't buy this bad training performances narrative. By that logic if Kane has a shocking week of training he'll be dropped too but we know there's no fucking chance of that.

There has to be something going on behind the scenes for him not to start. Either Sanchez is outplaying him in practice or they are thinking of moving him.

I'd say he probably wasn't fit enough. He only played 45 minutes of pre-season didn't he? And he absolutely shocking.

I don't think it's a training thing, I think that's always been a bit of a myth amongst Pochettino.

Just a mix of not being fit enough and wanting to give Sanchez more minutes than anyone at the back this season due to Alderweireld and/or Vertonghen leaving next season. Will be interesting to see what happens when Foyth comes back as he is the one I'd personally give all the minutes to if we're looking for our future replacement.

No chance, he will join Ajax on a free in 10 months.

Tbh, at his age and given his long term contribution I'd like to think all parties can find peace with that (and indeed have done so if that's how the land lay as we proceeded through the trf window).... In fact, I struggle to see that they wouldn't so it's hard for me to outright discard Poch's comments about his fitness.

I don't buy this bad training performances narrative. By that logic if Kane has a shocking week of training he'll be dropped too but we know there's no fucking chance of that.

Poch referred to fitness issues not "bad training performances" or effort.

We really don't need Chinese whispers at times like this.

There has to be something going on behind the scenes for him not to start. Either Sanchez is outplaying him in practice or they are thinking of moving him.

Only if you ignore what has actually been said....

....Again, please don't stir the pot with Chinese whispers.

Back
Top Bottom