Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yep. Agreed.

His pre-season performances were rather worrying. Started looking his age a bit. But there was a noticeable decline in his overall performance starting from the back end of last season too.

I have no doubt he'll still be able to provide us with classic Vertonghen performances but he's not getting any younger.
why have we gone from being a good young team not long ago(youngest in the league) if I remember, to all this talk about aging players coming to the end of their careers. All this negative talk is really tiresome. In Poch we must trust

why have we gone from being a good young team not long ago(youngest in the league) if I remember, to all this talk about aging players coming to the end of their careers. All this negative talk is really tiresome. In Poch we must trust

We have a pretty young team.

KWP - 22
Ndombele - 22
Winks - 23
Dele - 23
Lo Celso - 23
Sessegnon - 19
Skipp - 18
Sanchez - 23
Foyth - 21

We're just now mixing that with the experienced heads of Rose (29), Alderweireld (30), Vertonghen (32), Lloris (32) whilst others are coming into their peak years like Kane (26), Son (27) and Lucas (26)

Yep. Agreed.

His pre-season performances were rather worrying. Started looking his age a bit. But there was a noticeable decline in his overall performance starting from the back end of last season too.

I have no doubt he'll still be able to provide us with classic Vertonghen performances but he's not getting any younger.

Certainly didn't look old when he stood in at LB vs BVB... He owned the whole flank!

One of the most influential signings the club has made. Look who's followed since his signature.

that summer we signed Vertonghen, Dembele and Hugo. All turned out to be great. With added one season of Clint Dempsey, whilst not brilliant did chip in, same with Siggy. It was the changing from Redknapp’s team to the start of our new era.

We have a pretty young team.

KWP - 22
Ndombele - 22
Winks - 23
Dele - 23
Lo Celso - 23
Sessegnon - 19
Skipp - 18
Sanchez - 23
Foyth - 21

We're just now mixing that with the experienced heads of Rose (29), Alderweireld (30), Vertonghen (32), Lloris (32) whilst others are coming into their peak years like Kane (26), Son (27) and Lucas (26)

We have a nice blend as your post shows... As long as we replenish the older players with younger one's that will continue too... Also fits with our transfer policy as DL won't want us replacing elders with 27/28 year olds whom are at their most expensive.

that summer we signed Vertonghen, Dembele and Hugo. All turned out to be great. With added one season of Clint Dempsey, whilst not brilliant did chip in, same with Siggy. It was the changing from Redknapp’s team to the start of our new era.

Saying Dempsey was “not brilliant” is probably the nicest thing a Spurs fan has ever said about him. What an understatement.

Siggy not finding his groove was a real pisser... Should have been part of the revolution, but blew it sadly.... Sad seeing him chug around at Swansea and Everton but he failed to impress all too often.

Siggy not finding his groove was a real pisser... Should have been part of the revolution, but blew it sadly.... Sad seeing him chug around at Swansea and Everton but he failed to impress all too often.

i think the problem with Siggy was that he was brought into replace VDV. Whilst he was a no 10 it was difficult to replace a genuine star in Rafa.

Think we serious need to add some under 25's with real quality to the squad and especially at the back.
I'm assuming it's why we sold Trippier and were willing to let Rose go. But I'm not convinced KWP or Foyth can be the players we need them to be. KWP had a good game at Villa though so I could be wrong. No idea WTF is going on with Aurrier. I assumed he was bought to be our first choice.

Sess, is he a LB? Are we going to play without a recognised LB?

I think our stagnation in the window last season may have cost us in the need now to add quality youth.

If Jan and Toby had to stop playing today, would you be happy with Foyth and Sanchez at CB all season?

Clinging to the suggestion he's just behind in the fitness stakes....

Got enough narratives swirling around the senior playing staff....

Do we have any quotes that suggest it was a fitness issue vs a form issue?
"He needs to work hard and show me I was wrong not to play him"

This and the fact he looked way off the pace in pre-season would suggest he's not fit enough to play and/or Toby and Sanchez are better/fitter than he is right now.

Absolutely no biggie. It's called competition for places. I love it.

"He needs to work hard and show me I was wrong not to play him"

This and the fact he looked way off the pace in pre-season would suggest he's not fit enough to play and/or Toby and Sanchez are better/fitter than he is right now.

Absolutely no biggie. It's called competition for places. I love it.

It’s what we have been wanting and now that we have it there is a narrative. Jan is a legend and that is why it is so hard for some to take, but we don’t see what goes on in training and we must trust Poch. Verts will get his games and possibly take back the position, but the stakes are high and the competition is real; just as it should be.

For a big player like Jan to be lacking fitness levels to such an extent he's not even on the bench is still surprising - is he carrying an injury or something? I don't remember how he played preseason tbh - was he really that bad?

Back
Top Bottom