Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we need to rotate throughout the season to keep players fresh, which ultimately we will need to, especially with ageing CBs whose contracts are expiring then surely home games like the one against Villa yesterday are the ones to do it in.

Integrating Sanchez into the first team will be vital for next season with one or both of Toby and Jan gone and if we are to get the most out of our squad and use it across a season, the likes of Sanchez, KWP & possibly Skipp etc being utilised in games like Villa at home is better than up at Old Trafford etc.

In the end the team Pochettino selected collectively won by a two goal margin. No damage came from the decisions he made, whatever the reasons behind making them were so there's nothing to be concerned with.

Is there a chance Poch sees the Man City game being more necessary for a fully fit and fresh Vertonghen instead of Villa at home? Time will tell and we'll possibly see come next Saturday.
SuperJan is the lynch pin in our defence, he will start with Toby against City, we have to have our strongest team out there to make a statement and show we dont cave in before they get there like others.

I thought Sánchez was poor yesterday

Early days I know but not been impressed with him so far
He's just not a good fit for how we play tbh. Too panicky on the ball and his technical skills are quite sub par as well.
He would look great playing for a team that parks the bus because he would throw himself at everything, but for a team like us who dominate the ball most of the time, he just doesn't really look comfortable.

He's just not a good fit for how we play tbh. Too panicky on the ball and his technical skills are quite sub par as well.
He would look great playing for a team that parks the bus because he would throw himself at everything, but for a team like us who dominate the ball most of the time, he just doesn't really look comfortable.

The thought of him and Foyth in defence playing a top half table side would make me a nervous wreck
Sorry Eddie

Agreed on that one

I would prefer 442 with Harry up top and one of Moura Dele or Lamela playing off him

It’s going to be tough

Why wouldn't we go with 4-3-3 ?
With Sissoko, Ndombele and Winks controlling the midfield, Kane up top with Moura and Eriksen ??

I think it would help us to close them down and control the midfield?

Why wouldn't we go with 4-3-3 ?
With Sissoko, Ndombele and Winks controlling the midfield, Kane up top with Moura and Eriksen ??

I think it would help us to close them down and control the midfield?

It would but do you think 433 would do it ?

I think it was Poch being Poch. After recent comments by Vertonghen cannot see he wants to go and if injury then why not say it. Think it was message to whole squad that anyone can end up out of 18 and by picking Jan it was less controversial than Toby as that would look contract related. Would we have conceded the first goal if Jan had played? not sure but apart from that rarely threatened or needed. Now if he does not play against MC then there is a problem.

Nailed it.
The same applies to Eriksen IMO.
If they're not going to sign new contracts, then they are going to be rotated/dropped all season long.
I can see a Toby/Jan combination against the top teams but not against the rest.

If the goal is to try and get as many points as possible, then you play your best players whether they've signed new contracts or not. Obviously rotation is crucial to key players fresh, but punishing players for not signing contracts by reducing their playing time is cutting off our nose to spite our face.

If the goal is to try and get as many points as possible, then you play your best players whether they've signed new contracts or not. Obviously rotation is crucial to key players fresh, but punishing players for not signing contracts by reducing their playing time is cutting off our nose to spite our face.
I get your point but........fuck ' em.
Poch has a choice, play the best players as you say or integrate the younger lads in preparation for when/ if the others leave.
If Toby, Jan, Eriksen leave this month or even worse in January, then we'll be stuffed with the young ones not having any game time.
They either want to be here or they don't.
Sign the contracts offered or be prepared to be back up players.

Always amazes me how the Red Top's are still in business with their spinning of stories. Read the last couple of pages on here and I'm reminded why they still print what they do.

There is no problem, chill the fuck out.

During the pre-season frendlies, he was some distance behind everyone else, it really showed in his performances.

Always amazes me how the Red Top's are still in business with their spinning of stories. Read the last couple of pages on here and I'm reminded why they still print what they do.

There is no problem, chill the fuck out.

During the pre-season frendlies, he was some distance behind everyone else, it really showed in his performances.

Yep. Agreed.

His pre-season performances were rather worrying. Started looking his age a bit. But there was a noticeable decline in his overall performance starting from the back end of last season too.

I have no doubt he'll still be able to provide us with classic Vertonghen performances but he's not getting any younger.

Not if you think it gives you more chance of winning games in the future, assuming Poch is here for the long term he may decide playing Sanchez this year may mean we are less likely to win this year but it gives him the game time necessary to be first choice next year. So its not punishment but deciding whats better for the club over a longer time period.

(*plus a little bit of punishment so others will be less inclined to follow suit)

Yep. Agreed.

His pre-season performances were rather worrying. Started looking his age a bit. But there was a noticeable decline in his overall performance starting from the back end of last season too.

I have no doubt he'll still be able to provide us with classic Vertonghen performances but he's not getting any younger.
IMO he should have been awarded our player of the year last year. The ONLY consistently good player we had all season from start to finish. I think he's improved and the last two seasons have been his best in a Spurs shirt.

One of my favourite players but have to say I loved Poch's comments.

It would but do you think 433 would do it ?

I truly do believe that we could play with 4-3-3 if we have such a powerhouse in CM.

Though in order it would work perfectly, Ndombele would have to improve his defencive contribution. So he could cover other fullback if needed (with Sissoko handling one side)...

Do you think 3 at the back will work against Shitty?

If we play the first half like yesterday we will get annihilated

No I don’t think 3 at back will work...

Against teams with quick movement, 3 at the back has made us look vulnerable.... Ajax, City and Liverpool last season exposed this.

When we changed formation in those games , I’m thinking Ajax first leg and Pool at Anfield, we were much better second half.

No I don’t think 3 at back will work...

Against teams with quick movement, 3 at the back has made us look vulnerable.... Ajax, City and Liverpool last season exposed this.

When we changed formation in those games , I’m thinking Ajax first leg and Pool at Anfield, we were much better second half.

Yes I agree and not wishing to bang my drum re Sissoko but in the Ajax game I can remember the difference he made when he came on

IMO he should have been awarded our player of the year last year. The ONLY consistently good player we had all season from start to finish. I think he's improved and the last two seasons have been his best in a Spurs shirt.

One of my favourite players but have to say I loved Poch's comments.

Yeah, he's a model pro too. Also does a lot of charity stuff around the club. Understated on the pitch, yet such a consistant performer and a calming influence on the young lads.

I will be legit gutted when he leaves/retires.

Back
Top Bottom