Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People don't even realize how large of a part he and Toby's partnership has contributed to our recent success and blame him whenever we concede a goal, as if any team does not concede goals.

Next year when we're starting Calamity Sanchez and Juan 'wee trip in my own box' Foyth and concede twice as many goals I think we'll appreciate him more.

Incredible consistency and MUST play ahead of Sanchez if he is available.

People don't even realize how large of a part he and Toby's partnership has contributed to our recent success and blame him whenever we concede a goal, as if any team does not concede goals.

Next year when we're starting Calamity Sanchez and Juan 'wee trip in my own box' Foyth and concede twice as many goals I think we'll appreciate him more.

You’re living in the past. Jan and Toby are not the same players they were a few seasons ago.

It’s time to take our Spurs glasses off and realize these guys are past it.

Not one team activated Toby’s release clause. Not one team was really interested in Rose.

Super Jan is anything but super.

I appreciate all they’ve brought to us in past years but it’s time to start forming a new back 4 relationship.

Yes there will be growing pains but we’ll be better for it in the near future

There is an article in today's Independent which says he was benched for questioning Poch's tactics in front of the rest of the squad.
I'm starting to imagine Poch as a sort of mad Queen from Blackadder type figure.
"Playing Aurier might be wiser, your highness".
"Who's in charge, Jan?".

At the moment it's hard to imagine anyone of CCV, Foyth, Sanchez or Tanganga stepping up to the task of replacing Jan or Toby next season.

It's a fucking joke that him, Toby, and eriksen are running their contracts down. Surely the amount they want extra is nowhere near the cost of their transfer fees we would not receive. Just give them all what they want and let's move on with some optimism for the season.

It's a fucking joke that him, Toby, and eriksen are running their contracts down. Surely the amount they want extra is nowhere near the cost of their transfer fees we would not receive. Just give them all what they want and let's move on with some optimism for the season.
Thing is. With Eriksen it isn't even about money. We could offer him 300k a week and he would still say no because he wants to move to Spain.

With Toby it is his agent fucking about and apparently constantly demanding more. And you cannot become an agents bitch just because.

With Jan it seems to be more about length of contract rather than money.

Our defence literally could not get worse than last season, it was horrible despite the Toby/Jan partnership and we lost 13 matches conceding countless stupid goals. We just conceded two goals in the last game where Jan got ethered by Lacazette and then let Aubameyang get behind him on a ball in the air, he is not Super Jan anymore. He's a good player but past his best.

With Jan and Toby both over 30 and running down their contracts it's perfectly sensible to start looking to the future and put more trust in younger players like Davinson, Foyth, KWP, Davies, Sessegnon etc. Jan will play many games this season but phasing him out is the right thing to do. Luiz and Kompany did great things at their previous clubs but at a similar age to Jan they were moved on. There is always a decline with age.

I love Jan, probably my favourite current player, and was perplexed like most supporters when he didn't play at the beginning of the season. However, it's breaking my heart to see him struggling so far this year, and I can reluctantly understand why he's being left out. I was hoping that we'd get one more good season from the Toby/Jan partnership, with Juan and Davy being eased in for the future.
Hopefully, as the season goes on, we'll see an improvement throughout the team.

What are people’s thoughts on his play so far? Doesn’t sound like the contract is going to happen and so is his spot under threat?

I know Poch sees Foyth as a RB, but he could take some of Jan’s in my opinion. He needs minutes and is hungry.

Last edited:
What are people’s thoughts on his play so far? Doesn’t sound like the contract is going to happen and so is his spot under threat?

I know Poch sees Foyth as a RB, but he could take some of Jan’s in my opinion. He needs minutes and is hungry.
I think he's done ok, not great but ok.
Then again none of our defenders have covered themselves in glory.

He's still a better option than Sanchez or Foyth IMO although one or both of them have to start getting game time for when Jan and Toby leave, whenever that is.

Think he will be here a while.
Just seen him booking a long course of boxing and self defence classes in a gym in Wood Green...

:vert:

"Tottenham Hotspur have reopened contract talks with Jan Vertonghen..."

Some nice insight into what Poch meant about Sissoko's contract and a few other bits too...

Last edited:
:vert:

"Tottenham Hotspur have reopened contract talks with Jan Vertonghen..."

Some nice insight into what Poch meant about Sissoko's contract and a few other bits too...
Give him another 5 years like Sisso

Give him another 5 years like Sisso

....I think we could afford to give him the 2 year deal he wants.

Would give us a bit of a reprieve having somewhat fucked Sanchez's development up and buy us a second chance at a smooth transition to a new back line.

Back
Top Bottom