You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Registration only takes a minute and removes most of the adverts - Sign up here

Player Jan Vertonghen

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pleb, 4 Mar 2013.

1. RealCoolYid

It is a bit

• Funny x 1
  2. pleb

Enjoy the Moment

Its lovely: Gay yes and are you coming out?

• Funny x 1
  3. Jerry

:vertna:

• Funny x 1
  4. Alli-Luya

We've activated a one year extension on Verts contract, which now runs untill 2020. Both sides eager to get a new deal signed.

• Like x 4
  5. Notabadsquad

Fcuking right.

Our best defender of the last decade in the round.

Brilliant centre back. With a tad more aggression would have been our captain I feel and led us to trophies.

• Agree x 2
  6. Spursdem

As expected.

• Like x 2
  7. spursmalc

Out until January.

8. theromanianjackass

My one and only club

It’s ok to come out, it’s almost 2019.

• Funny x 2
  9. Hotspurio

Prefer if we extended it until 2067

• Agree x 1
  10. pipes

So a fortnight then?

11. MemphisWill

Twitter:
    @onememphiswill
    I really think he should have been given the armband anyway. He's truly the face of the revitalization of Spurs in my mind. Post Bale/Modric we could have easily collapsed like many clubs before us, but that transfer group (Jan, Hugo, Moose) have lifted us to heights we didn't really even dream of even when Bale and Modric were in the team.

• Agree x 2
  12. Notabadsquad

Hard to disagree but Pochettino been the driver of demonstrable and enduring change. No doubt really.

• Agree x 1
  13. brumspur

6 games!!

14. MemphisWill

Twitter:
    @onememphiswill
    I guess what I meant was within the playing squad.

15. Totti

Back for the Man Utd game, I reckon.

• Like x 4
  16. Airfixx

Swollen Member

This... Not so much Hugo, but Jan and Dembele were patchy and floundering along with the rest of the lads by the time Poch arrived... At times Jan in particular looked a shadow of his latter self.

17. Airfixx

Swollen Member

#2897 Airfixx, 27 Dec 2018
    Last edited: 27 Dec 2018
    Re: Captaincy.... Subject to Harry's rise, the right man has had the armband all along.

Hugo has complimented the attitude of the Poch regime so well (which is what made his DUI so surprising/disappointing).

• Agree x 1
  18. MemphisWill

Twitter:
    @onememphiswill
    I couldn't, and didn't complain, before the DUI. And realistically I've always felt Hugo was just as important to the building of Poch's Spurs and was a deserving captain. To an extent I lean towards Jan because I liked him more and the old bias against keepers as captains. Pre-DUI I couldn't really argue, post-DUI I think Jan should have it until it passes to Harry (though I'm not too keen on CFs as captains either even though I think the whole ordeal is really a pointless ceremonial title and cannot rationalize those feelings at all).

I dunno. I just fucking love Super Jan and would like him to spend the next 50 years at the club.

19. Airfixx

Swollen Member

Love him too... But he hasn't ALWAYS been this super... In the darker days, he could easily have been (and in fact was) criticized for lacking concentration & leadership.

I think Toby coming here (tho not exclusively) gave him a new lease of life; initially forging a sense of responsibility to one another when resurrecting their former partnership, before Jan eventually became the true (albeit comparatively understated) leader of the back-line.... It may appear to some that Toby is more alpha and thus the obvious leader, but consider the longer spells Toby has had out injured... Jan's had Dav/Foyth/Dier to martial or break-in, disruption at FB (Rose injury, right-side in perpetual transition mode since Walker exit), 2CBs, 3CBs, yet found his best form during the same period.

When you consider DMs too... Circumstantially, we really have had a hellish time over the last 18 months at that end of the pitch... It's no wonder we haven't been up there with the more recent 'best defense' stats. Would be amazing to get that stability (of selection AND rotation) back.

• Like x 3
  20. MemphisWill

Twitter:
    @onememphiswill
    TBF, I think Jan's "darker days" were over exaggerated then. He's had some dips in form, but so have many other players. Hugo has had some absolute blunders. Harry, Son, Dele have had long stretches of ineffective play before. Dembele didn't even look like much at first.

I think a lot of times we're far too quick to crucify players.

Draft saved Draft deleted
If you see people ruining threads with off-topic discussion, arguing or personal abuse, use the 'Foul' link at the bottom of their post to vote for them to be sent off. More info