Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just voted him as Player of the Year, great to see him nominated along with Dele and Poch (yeah, I voted Eriksen for Club, deal with it). Immaculate this year! Last man of the pitch yesterday by a long way, big grin on his face too!
C_0GDM2XgAAUvs2.jpg

Just voted him as Player of the Year, great to see him nominated along with Dele and Poch (yeah, I voted Eriksen for Club, deal with it). Immaculate this year! Last man of the pitch yesterday by a long way, big grin on his face too!
C_0GDM2XgAAUvs2.jpg
that's because he was chasing his little girl all around the pitch and she kept getting away :)

Never always been a fan of his attitude tbh but he has been fantastic this season, so aggressive at going forward and has been better than Toby this year imo.

Super Jan!

Still think Toby is the mainstay of our defence, I'm much more nervous if I see his name missing from the team sheet.

Jan has been great, but I think the fact we've been solid at the back has given Jan the freedom to make his runs forward which garner more attention

Still think Toby is the mainstay of our defence, I'm much more nervous if I see his name missing from the team sheet.

Jan has been great, but I think the fact we've been solid at the back has given Jan the freedom to make his runs forward which garner more attention

He was a lot more 'stay-at-home' last year... I think Toby shoring us up last season, has allowed him/Poch to push on to play to the more natural balance of his game this year; looking better in both aspects as a result.

I think it's unquestionable that Toby's arrival has brought out the absolute best in Jan. At this point he seems drastically happier & more committed than he has since he arrived.

(A few question marks when Toby was first out - I'm thinking cup games - in which there were echoes some of his previously slightly dubious attitude, but absolute credit to him, he steadied himself; stepped up and he's been immense ever since!)

For me his singing was our most influential one in the past 5yrs (maybe longer, doing this off the top of my head). He was a serious player when we got him, not a "prospect" or "hopeful" singing. His signature was one of intent, the way we got him too with Levy personally going over to get him. I see his signature as key to attracting Eriksen, Lloris, Alderweield, Dembele etc....

His first season was excellent but this year his performances have surpassed his first and this year he is playing with a smile on his face and he is showing his leadership credentials (something that has been very disappointing from the outside).

For me, I see Vertonghen as the beginning of the current team we have now, the start of that era.

I just want to add my gratitude and praise for a magnificient season. I have never felt confident before games, as have had so many hopes dashed over the years, but even I was expecting to win most games, especially at home.
I thought last year was the best we were going to be, as the 'big' teams were not going to mess up two seasons running. However, Poch and the boys put that theory to bed, by playing some of the sexiest football I have had the pleasure to witness (yes even in the Ginola and Bale days), because it came from all over the park from all the players. I have seen some great players at Spurs in the last 50 years, but this is definitely the best team I have seen.
I love the relationship that Poch has with the players and vice versa. Poch is the real deal and we should give him anything he asks for - don't think he would be unreasonable in his requests either, his requirements would always be for the best of the club.
It was sad to say goodbye to the Lane, but boy, didn't we do the old place proud in our last season there.
Now all we have to do is keep the team together and use this season as a big stepping stone to bigger things next season.

I just want to add my gratitude and praise for a magnificient season. I have never felt confident before games, as have had so many hopes dashed over the years, but even I was expecting to win most games, especially at home.
I thought last year was the best we were going to be, as the 'big' teams were not going to mess up two seasons running. However, Poch and the boys put that theory to bed, by playing some of the sexiest football I have had the pleasure to witness (yes even in the Ginola and Bale days), because it came from all over the park from all the players. I have seen some great players at Spurs in the last 50 years, but this is definitely the best team I have seen.
I love the relationship that Poch has with the players and vice versa. Poch is the real deal and we should give him anything he asks for - don't think he would be unreasonable in his requests either, his requirements would always be for the best of the club.
It was sad to say goodbye to the Lane, but boy, didn't we do the old place proud in our last season there.
Now all we have to do is keep the team together and use this season as a big stepping stone to bigger things next season.
oops, this is supposed to be in the 'What a Season' stream ....... thought it was strange I was getting likes in Jan's bit

Back
Top Bottom