Jack Roles

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not a good day at the office for Jack this weekend by the looks of it.

Colin Calderwood revealed that Jack Roles' 35th minute substitution was for tactical reasons.

The Spurs youngster partnered Sam Smith at the top of the pitch but only lasted just over a third of the game before being replaced by Andy Dallas, as Calderwood looked to spark some life into his team.

“We didn’t work hard enough from the front of the team to try and get to them and we were pretty passive in that area,” the U’s boss said.

“We had to make the change to try and get a bit of urgency into the group and a bit of physicality, because unfortunately it didn’t go Jack’s way today."

He continued: “We had to change. It was a learning curve for everyone. He's got to give the ball to the team a lot more than he did if he’s that style of player.

“He’s an imagination player with flare and ability to create, but in moments like that today it just didn’t go for him, so I made the decision to get him off and put Andy on.”

Calderwood was pleased with the impact of Dallas, who has been used sparingly in United’s league campaign since joining from Rangers in the summer.

The U’s boss pointed to a moment when his harrying forced Carlisle to surrender possession in their own area, for Smith to blast the ball over the crossbar.

He said: “I thought Andy gave us a bit more impetus and aggression and worked as a pair with Sam better from the front and had a little bit more hussle about him.

“He’s certainly waited his time, Andy. He always ends up in moments where the ball should just fall for him a little bit better, and he hussled and Sam got the shot off. I think a pass into the corner scores the goal, rather than a shot.”

Not a good day at the office for Jack this weekend by the looks of it.

Colin Calderwood revealed that Jack Roles' 35th minute substitution was for tactical reasons.

The Spurs youngster partnered Sam Smith at the top of the pitch but only lasted just over a third of the game before being replaced by Andy Dallas, as Calderwood looked to spark some life into his team.

“We didn’t work hard enough from the front of the team to try and get to them and we were pretty passive in that area,” the U’s boss said.

“We had to make the change to try and get a bit of urgency into the group and a bit of physicality, because unfortunately it didn’t go Jack’s way today."

He continued: “We had to change. It was a learning curve for everyone. He's got to give the ball to the team a lot more than he did if he’s that style of player.

“He’s an imagination player with flare and ability to create, but in moments like that today it just didn’t go for him, so I made the decision to get him off and put Andy on.”

Calderwood was pleased with the impact of Dallas, who has been used sparingly in United’s league campaign since joining from Rangers in the summer.

The U’s boss pointed to a moment when his harrying forced Carlisle to surrender possession in their own area, for Smith to blast the ball over the crossbar.

He said: “I thought Andy gave us a bit more impetus and aggression and worked as a pair with Sam better from the front and had a little bit more hussle about him.

“He’s certainly waited his time, Andy. He always ends up in moments where the ball should just fall for him a little bit better, and he hussled and Sam got the shot off. I think a pass into the corner scores the goal, rather than a shot.”

It's taking the piss subbing him off before HT.
Nothing was achieved by the sub. Game ended 0-0.
Let's see how this one works out.

So Jack was playing as a striker and was subbed off? I was under the impression he was a midfielder.

I'm sure he will learn from it as getting subbed off for not following instructions at this level is much better than getting in the bad books of Jose in the top flight.

Still excited for him.

It's taking the piss subbing him off before HT.
Nothing was achieved by the sub. Game ended 0-0.
Let's see how this one works out.
All I have to go on is this report. I can't see why a manager would do this unless he really thought it was for the best. I would imagine he just thought Jack was either having an off day or wasn't putting it in. I really hope he doesn't think that he is "too good for" Cambridge.

The fact that the sub didn't change the game doesn't necessarily mean that Calderwood wasn't right to take Jack off. Could just mean that the guy going on also had a bad day?

All I have to go on is this report. I can't see why a manager would do this unless he really thought it was for the best. I would imagine he just thought Jack was either having an off day or wasn't putting it in. I really hope he doesn't think that he is "too good for" Cambridge.

The fact that the sub didn't change the game doesn't necessarily mean that Calderwood wasn't right to take Jack off. Could just mean that the guy going on also had a bad day?
It could well be Roles was having a stinker but tactical subbing before HT when the scores are even is almost unheard of.
Thanks for your initial report.

From the quotes from Calderwood, it sounds like he had an off day. But at least he's not been hung out to dry by his manager in the press afterwards.

We'll see what it really meant in the next couple of weeks.

Couple of goals for Jack in December including the solitary goal in their most recent game at home against Morecambe.

Also scored in a 3-2 defeat to the O's having come on as a second half sub. Thing's seem to have improved since the hauling off before half time incident.

5 goals in 9 starts is a pretty tasty return for a midfielder.

He's far too good for that league and it's a shame he isn't coming back and being sent out on loan to a Chanpionship or League One team.

5 goals in 9 starts is a pretty tasty return for a midfielder.

He's far too good for that league and it's a shame he isn't coming back and being sent out on loan to a Chanpionship or League One team.
His loan deal actually comes to an end on Sunday, but the noises from Calderwood suggest that he's likely to extend it for the rest of the season.

His loan deal actually comes to an end on Sunday, but the noises from Calderwood suggest that he's likely to extend it for the rest of the season.

Certainly in Cambridge interests to extend the loan - not only 5 goals in 9 starts but a place in October's league 2 team of the month, October goal of the month for League 2 plus 2 man of the match awards. Doubt if they could sign s loaned or permanent who will get better results in the 2nd half.

Think he went to. League 2 side to ensure he got playing time - think it's no risk to go to a League 1 side or even a supportive Championship side for the 2nd half of the season.

Easy to stay at Cambridge but won't stretch him.

Not involved in the squad at home against Salford this evening. Hope he's not injured again. However, if he isn't it's troubling that he's not even on the bench.

Not involved in the squad at home against Salford this evening. Hope he's not injured again. However, if he isn't it's troubling that he's not even on the bench.
See above he has a niggling injury??
Jack played 87 mins on Saturday.
Cambridge are hovering above the relegation zone but JR has scored 5 goals.

Jack Roles has had some good news in regards to his recovery, but we’ll expect him back at the start of next week which is slightly earlier than we had initially thought.

Seems to have this niggling injury back - out this week

and Colchester manager Colin Calerwood sacked earlier this week after bad results.

See above he has a niggling injury??
Jack played 87 mins on Saturday.
Cambridge are hovering above the relegation zone but JR has scored 5 goals.
Ah I did watch the vid a while ago, but my memory told me that he was recovered from the injury which is why I was surprised he wasn't involved. Good to hear that he seems to be getting over it.

Whats happening with Jack? Is he just back with the U23's? If so what was the point of his apparently successful loan?

Whats happening with Jack? Is he just back with the U23's? If so what was the point of his apparently successful loan?
It was League 2. The point will have been to prove himself at that level and then probably get another one to League 1 or Championship next season I'd imagine.

Back
Top Bottom