It’s Not Rocket Science, Andre

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
Taking the long cold walk back across Bruce Park at the unusual & baffling early hour on a Sunday afternoon in my customary (but thankfully infrequent) post loss silence, I began to wonder what would I do differently if I wasn’t a non-playing, middle aged, opinionated know nothing football fan? Quite a lot it appeared I was brought up to believe that “football’s a very simple game” – I think it still is. The creeping doubt is that we have […]

Continue reading...

Stopped reading at Andros lacks pace and the ability to beat a man. I mean the kid was leading the whole of Europe for dribbles up until recently, and is up there with the Lennons and Walkers of this world in pace. I don't even think much of him but those two things are his bread and butter.

Great article, I agree with all of it, I think Rose back will make a difference, Lamela and Lennon next week please, I am a positive guy but Andros and Gylfi played themselves out team last week, give Soldado the ball please

The only thing is a slight defence for Andre I think he doesnt see the Dembele / Paulinho thing as more defensive, he seems to think he gets 2 guys who can defend and attack, instead he gets 2 people doing neither right, its Cap/Sandro - Dembele/Paulinho in an either or and we know that. I honestly feel he thinks it gives him more to play D and P against lesser sides, which hasnt worked

Draw a line under Project Andro - He lacks pace, the ability to beat a man & has a dreadful addiction to (wasteful) shooting. Lennon & Lamela are both significant upgrade

Hahahhhahahahaha - wtf?

Are you on the boozer, mate?

Last edited:
Overall, a thoughtful article but I disagree on some points.
  • Beg, borrow, steal or recall a genuine left back. The best at our club is ludicrously on loan in Shepherd’s Bush whilst we make do & mend. Daft
-True: We lack depth here. Simple. Getting Rose back could be massive but we obviously lack depth.
  • Choose a CB partnership & stick with it. For me, it’s Vlad Chiriches and Jan Vertonghen – two classy composed, fast, elegant ball players.
-AVB hasn't had much of a choice here. Necessity rather than choice has driven Vert to LB. I agree that Vlad and Vert may be our best choice but until its possible to select them both its a moot point. If Vlad and Vert are the choice I do have some small doubts about their ability in the air and their lack of strength.
  • Send Brad Friedel out to grass & blood or buy an adequate like for like sweeper keeper so that when Hugo Lloris is rested or knocked out, the sight of Brad doesn’t cause collective panic attacks in the back four.
-Agreed. Friedel served well last year but we need a back up sweeper keeper. Without an active keeper our defense is not comfortable.
  • Give Kyle Walker a bloody good shake and reiterate the need for positional awareness for 90+minutes every game
-Walker is young as shit and has plenty of growing to do. This is a pretty weak criticism. He consistently puts in a huge shift every game but is prone to mental lapses. This is the essence of inexperienced exuberance.
  • Have a look at a DVD of the devastation Aaron Lennon has caused for several years against the best defenders in the PL. Then select him to play. Often. His partnership with Walker is worth revisiting
-Lennon is still returning from a long term injury struggle. He has to earn his position back now, not based on DVD highlights. He hasn't shown shit recently so I think calling for him to start and often is premature. I have serious doubts about whether he will ever fit as an inverted winger - I think he lacks the technical ability. Sprinting down the touchline is not everything.
  • One sitting midfielder is ample (particularly at home). He’s an essential starter & his selection usually permits a more ambitious game from Paulinho
-Again, just like with the complaints about the starting CBs, this complaint is hollow because either Capoue, Sando or both have been injured at any given moment. Of course we want a true dm playing but do we really want to blame AVB for not rushing players back for home games versus Hull and Newcastle. I believe AVB was trying to protect Sando by not starting him this week - it was a gamble and it failed (it failed b/c Dembele has been shit more often then not this year, especially when he has been playing out of position). However, AVB didn't hesitate to remedy the situation and get Sandro in. Once Capoue and Sando are fit again and games don't have tostart without either of them, the team is going to see major improvements.
  • Erik Lamela must start games – he’s unlikely to get good enough to play every week sat on his arse.
-Agree. Starting would be ideal but at the very least he must play 20 minutes EVERY GAME.
  • Draw a line under Project Andros – he’s simply not good enough & maybe never will be. The outrageous hype is exactly that. He lacks pace, the ability to beat a man & has a dreadful addiction to (wasteful) shooting. Lennon & Lamela are both significant upgrades
-I agree with the general point - Andros should be earning his time and needs to reign in his long shots. However, saying he lacks pace and the ability to beat a man is flat out absurd. He has shown he has pace comparable to Lennon and possibly better technical ability. He has shown more than Lennon lately and Lennon is by no means a SIGNIFICANT upgrade.
  • Make full use of a lethal poacher but actually giving him something to feast on – the continued starving of crosses or incisive passes for Roberto Soldado is unacceptable. Again we need width and the deployment of talent that can deliver.
-I agree. Soldado needs better service. I'm not positive this necessarily has to come from more width. I think it can also come from better CAM play.

and I wish people would stop banging on about Soldado getting 'no service' he doesn't work his way into space as much as he needs to.

Watch his next game - he spends his time too close to the opposing defender for anyone to pass to him, presumably because he likes to dart past them as the last second....which isnt working in this set up.

The AVB doctrine seems to be possession, possession, possession. You could say it’s becoming an obsession. One that too often is aimless, fruitless and causes the opposition no pain

There’s an aversion to width with our achingly hip trend for inverted wingers. All it does at WHL is drive two more players into a stagnant midfield where they all end up knee deep in tar, unable or unwilling to stretch the defence and find any penetration.

The repeated choice of two sitters in midfield is another sign of a cautious approach of limited courage and ambition. It’s all a bit too scientific, too deliberate, and too technical. As a consequence, for it to succeed, every single component needs to be exact. It’s football as trigonometry and it pays off way too infrequently. There’s an absence of free spirited imagination, creation or daring in our play, almost as if it’s being coached out, which is a grave concern.

Spot on

Back
Top Bottom