Is Top 4 Gone Now And What Would Be The Ramifications?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Top 4 Gone?

• Total voters
Ah, remember back when the fixtures came out, some people were saying how good it was to "get all the tougher 'Top 6' away fixtures out of the way in the 1st half of the season..."

Now it's all tough home games, to add to our poor away form...

...and with a strip less paint on the line, we'd have beaten Watford too!!
Truth of the matter is, home or away we can't buy a win against the top 6.
They always play well but end up on the wrong end of a result.

The mentality bit for sure.

Jose is supposed to fix this. Will judge him at the end of the season.

But not being able to beat the little sides doesn't bode well
Well poch was supposed to have fixed it but time and again in big games on the whole we flopped, not sure if anyone can fix it I think it has to start from the board then cascade down that is where it goes wrong for us.

7th - 10th seems to be the consensus.

7th/8th seems spot on if all we do this month is signing Gedson on loan. Might finish fifth if we bring in a couple of new players.

As things stand there is absolutely no reason to believe that we will finish in the top four.

Last edited:
It is so difficult to predict. I can remember that we would go on non winning runs like now and then we win and everything changes and we win a few games. This is 10 years ago not the nineties. Look at Southampton and Watford. Defensively was better yesterday but our finishing was crap. Some shots were like back passes. 10 years ago I can remember thinking every decision went against us but did not think that during the good Poch years but we seem to have regressed back to 10 years ago. Maybe that is because when we have a bad decision such as not booking Capou that we still won and I did not feel we needed the opposition to go down to 10 men or we did not need penalties to win matches. We need to turn it around and start winning starting against Norwich and then MC. If not then forget top 4.

It is so difficult to predict. I can remember that we would go on non winning runs like now and then we win and everything changes and we win a few games. This is 10 years ago not the nineties. Look at Southampton and Watford. Defensively was better yesterday but our finishing was crap. Some shots were like back passes. 10 years ago I can remember thinking every decision went against us but did not think that during the good Poch years but we seem to have regressed back to 10 years ago. Maybe that is because when we have a bad decision such as not booking Capou that we still won and I did not feel we needed the opposition to go down to 10 men or we did not need penalties to win matches. We need to turn it around and start winning starting against Norwich and then MC. If not then forget top 4.

I think this team lacks the balls to turn things around.

One of my favourite moments as a Spurs fan was our reaction to going 2-0 down to Juve in Turin. Dembele activated beast mode and you could see the entire team go up a level. It was a rare moment of witnessing a collective positive mentality ripple through our players. I think Juve hadn’t conceded in 14-15 games, and we hadn’t failed to score in something stupid like 20-30 games.

Felt so proud of the team that day.

Now they just look like they want to punch the clock, collect their pay cheque, and go home.

I think this team lacks the balls to turn things around.

One of my favourite moments as a Spurs fan was our reaction to going 2-0 down to Juve in Turin. Dembele activated beast mode and you could see the entire team go up a level. It was a rare moment of witnessing a collective positive mentality ripple through our players. I think Juve hadn’t conceded in 14-15 games, and we hadn’t failed to score in something stupid like 20-30 games.

Felt so proud of the team that day.

Now they just look like they want to punch the clock, collect their pay cheque, and go home.
That was the moment where I really thought we were part of the elite, and our mentality was elite.

That was the moment where I really thought we were part of the elite, and our mentality was elite.

I still remember how I felt when it happened. 2-0 down and suddenly we just grabbed the game by the neck and never let go.

That team had spirit. Sometimes too much spirit (battle of the bridge), but I never questioned the mentality. Back then I just assumed we would score, and would be shocked if we conceded more than two goals (we rarely did).

So not against Ajax seven months ago when this same team completed perhaps our greatest come back ever? Don't get suckered in by the trolls .... Jerry couldn't find his own balls, let alone understand that 'pride' and 'glory hunting' are not the same thing .... Proud to be Spurs doesn't just apply to when we win.

Giving Chelsea an 8 point head start in January is not ideal but bigger gaps have been closed before, it's a huge ask and without a striker even harder ... but have faith, don't get dragged into the negativity, that's not showing pride it's just cowardice.

Last edited:
Truth of the matter is, home or away we can't buy a win against the top 6.
They always play well but end up on the wrong end of a result.
That's because usually our mentality and team depth comes up short when it really matters.
The mentality bit for sure.

Jose is supposed to fix this. Will judge him at the end of the season.

But not being able to beat the little sides doesn't bode well
Problem is, the Top 4-6 sides are all good enough to beat us on any given day... added to that, the rest of the so called 'lesser sides' all seem doubly determined to raise their game against us, 'cos they still see us as a 'Big team, but that's beatable'....

What we need is a coupla sides with OUR 'mentality' (or lack of) so we can do the same to them...

Sadly for us, there ain't too many of 'us' in the PL!!!

To be fair, most didn't see that Burnley Leicester result coming.... so at least we know it DOES happen to other teams!

Problem is, the Top 4-6 sides are all good enough to beat us on any given day... added to that, the rest of the so called 'lesser sides' all seem doubly determined to raise their game against us, 'cos they still see us as a 'Big team, but that's beatable'....

What we need is a coupla sides with OUR 'mentality' (or lack of) so we can do the same to them...

Sadly for us, there ain't too many of 'us' in the PL!!!

To be fair, most didn't see that Burnley Leicester result coming.... so at least we know it DOES happen to other teams!
Every team gets beaten at some point Liverpool will lose soon enough but we are masters of losing games when a chance of something is waiting on the horizon, the club has always suffered an inferiority complex and it shows no signs of changing.

Every team gets beaten at some point Liverpool will lose soon enough but we are masters of losing games when a chance of something is waiting on the horizon, the club has always suffered an inferiority complex and it shows no signs of changing.
Apparently they won't ever lose another game of football again, according to this morning's press!

There's no doubt the mentality has to start at the board. Once players realise that the basic goal is just CL football every season then that's all they will work for.

The senior players in the squad have not been focused this season or have been injured. That has a big effect on the younger players.

Performances on the pitch start to become worse and the fans lose faith. Can become toxic very quickly.

Since last season we've turned into a team of flat track bullies. Particularly at home.
I was sitting in the home end at Watford and everyone around me was saying just contain spurs and take anything positive. The lower teams still see us as a big team, but they know that we aren't as good as previous seasons hence why they play with more winning intent.

Mentality is important in big games. But we're at a phase where we are still adapting to a new manager and have no recognised style of play, plagued with injures. Mentality can only get you so far in this kind of situation.

Curiously - is it the worst thing in the world if we miss European competition altogether?

Look at the Chavs a few years ago - 10th in 15/16, then won the next year as they were able to focus on the League.

Ignoring the fact that Jose was sacked the season they came 10th... :mourcheeks:

Curiously - is it the worst thing in the world if we miss European competition altogether?

Look at the Chavs a few years ago - 10th in 15/16, then won the next year as they were able to focus on the League.

Ignoring the fact that Jose was sacked the season they came 10th... :mourcheeks:
They also spent over 130m that summer - we have 0 chance of doing that

Back
Top Bottom