Is this THE year?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this season our best chance of Winning the Premier League

• Yes

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Don't be such a negative prick, just enjoy it while it lasts.

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters
Ray Wilkins.

My Word. I fucking love the guy. He's got such a gentle tone and never seems to anger me when talking about our beloved club. Comes across a knowledgeable nice guy.

He's just made a point on SkySports News - that this season is the best chance we will ever have to win the Premier League and it got me thinking - at the end of last season, are there any Spurs fans out there who genuinely though that would be the case?

Anyway, back to his point, and does he have one?

Without getting too negative about the future, there are plenty of rival fans out there who think it will unravel for us. Harry will either take the England job or get in big trouble for being pwopa nawty with his money. Players like Bale, Van der Vaart, Modric and maybe one or two others will be the subject of bids from Europe's elite, players like Parker, Gallas, King, Friedel will all be one year closer to retirement/Dubai/MLS and our lack of ability to offer stupid wages will hinder our chances of attracting the top players that all our rival clubs will be looking at.

With Man Utd stumbling along calling people out of retirement, Chelsea rebuilding with a new manager and squad, Woolwich, well, just being shit and Man City not really pulling out any real lead is this the biggest chance we have of winning the league - at least in the foreseeable future?

Click away...

i don't believe it all ends here

in the summer we will strengthen and make another go of it next season a good transfer window will make us stronger and give us just as much of a chance at the title. we shouldn't forget that ourselves Manchester United and City have a ridiculous amount of points between us for this stage of the season - i think the stat is any other year and we would be top (were it not for the other two)

so to answer your question - this is the best chance we have had until now to win the league

Keep hearing this cliche, it's such a load of nonsense.

The correct wording would be "This is Spurs' best chance to win the PL so far".

Of course we can win it in the future, who know's what will happen? In the next few years Fergie will be retiring which will weaken United. Man City could end up becoming like Chelsea, constantly chopping and changing manager's, to their own detriment. Liverpool and Woolwich have a hell of a lot of rebuilding to do. And Chelsea (and Man City) will soon be struggling against the FFP rules.

People who keep saying this is our best chance, make it sound like it's now or never. Fucking melters

linnet_spur said:
Keep hearing this cliche, it's such a load of nonsense.

The correct wording would be "This is Spurs' best chance to win the PL so far".

Of course we can win it in the future, who know's what will happen? In the next few years Fergie will be retiring which will weaken United. Man City could end up becoming like Chelsea, constantly chopping and changing manager's, to their own detriment. Liverpool and a***nal have a hell of a lot of rebuilding to do. And Chelsea (and Man City) will soon be struggling against the FFP rules.

People who keep saying this is our best chance, make it sound like it's now or never. Fucking melters

oh i agree totally.

i do really believe we will do it. no now or never about it, whatever happens this year we will be even better next year, thus improving our chances further to be in contention again. a lot of teams have to do a lot of improving to catch up with us, or in uniteds maintain.

i believe this decade will be spurs and sadly city

I think this is bollocks because before last season we were all saying if we don't keep our place in the top four we are fucked. Now we are talking about whether we can win the league.

S.L.R said:
I think this is bollocks because before last season we were all saying if we don't keep our place in the top four we are fucked. Now we are talking about whether we can win the league.

Very good point, which I alluded to. I cant imagine many Spurs fans would have really thought we'd be in the position to fight it out for the league at the end of last season.

It's not after the cruel twist of a game I've just seen... that simply doesn't happen in 'Championship winning seasons'... it's already happened to us twice now... (Stoke away was fucking horrible... minus the last minute goal EVIL OF TODAY!)

Actually G.Nev made that point. Massive moments like ballotelli not being.sent off.are the small decisions that.send teams on their way to titles

It may be the best chance we've had in a long, long time but it's still a very slim one. It's no surprise that we've done well so far when we've managed to keep our best players. To those who say this is Spurs' era, let's first see what kind of a squad we have next summer. Minus Modric , possibly Bale, and without an effective striker, things could look bleak again.

docomospur said:
It may be the best chance we've had in a long, long time but it's still a very slim one. It's no surprise that we've done well so far when we've managed to keep our best players. To those who say this is Spurs' era, let's first see what kind of a squad we have next summer. Minus Modric , possibly Bale, and without an effective striker, things could look bleak again.

win the double (failing that Finish second on the final day and win FA cup) , Sign a few top, top players. Convince them to stay and offer them some attractive package deal. finish next season unbeaten with one less draw than the "invincibles". era begins

People said our best shot at getting 4th was 04/05... but we did it a few seasons later.

I think we could do it but we need two really good strikers and preferably one of them to come through our youth system as we can barely pay the wages to find the other.

Back
Top Bottom