Is it time to give Hod the nod?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't understand some of the doom and gloom merchants on here. Surely, in the short-term for the rest of the season it makes perfect sense to me. We can't get any of the top, top managers until the summer as they won't move. Sherwood, strangely/arrogantly, doesn't seem to want the job temporarily and we can't give it to him permanently as he's got sod all experience. So, for the interim, I'd go for Hod, which will give us the time to have a proper think in the summer and get the right bloody man in.

I think psychologically with our fans and media the fact there are very few other alternatives available a week before Christmas to be in opposition to him and also the fact that Tim Sherwood showed with little experience he could get a good result with that squad in a maverick style, it has almost enhanced Hoddle's position with people thinking maybe the job is not as impossible as first thought due to the sheer depth of quality, most are playing for a world cup place

I'm all for God to be manager for the rest of the season and (hopefully) Van Gaal come in the summer...

But,

That lineup he showcased on Sky the other week with 3 CB's and Andros bloody Townsend in the number 10 role made me question him and if I actually saw that lineup in the Prem, I think I'd lose the plot.

what a ridiculous article. Wanting Sherwood or Glenn apparently makes me a xenophobe! yayyyyy!

It does touch on an interesting phenominon - though I dont see it as anything to do with AVB.

Hoddle, really cannot be argued to have been a good manager. Hasnt managed for 6 years. His lost role was in the championship and saw him succeeded by Mick McCarthy who went on to be more successful.

Sherwood. Never managed a day in his life. No credentials whatsoever aside from looking after some U19 players.

Bentaleb. 19 year old, inexplicably given his debut. Did well, to his credit.

Had I in the summer suggested the first two as our manager or the latter as a starting player against Crystal Palace this board would have errupted in laughter and I would have been slaughted.

Now, for some reason, it is perfectly acceptable. Not even acceptable, but preferable for many.

I can make no sense of it at all!

It does touch on an interesting phenominon - though I dont see it as anything to do with AVB.

Hoddle, really cannot be argued to have been a good manager. Hasnt managed for 6 years. His lost role was in the championship and saw him succeeded by Mick McCarthy who went on to be more successful.

Sherwood. Never managed a day in his life. No credentials whatsoever aside from looking after some U19 players.

Bentaleb. 19 year old, inexplicably given his debut. Did well, to his credit.

Had I in the summer suggested the first two as our manager or the latter as a starting player against Crystal Palace this board would have errupted in laughter and I would have been slaughted.

Now, for some reason, it is perfectly acceptable. Not even acceptable, but preferable for many.

I can make no sense of it at all!
it is a bit weird I'll admit. I have absolutely no reasoning for wanting Hoddle other than the fact he's Spurs, although I do think he can get a lot out of the players we have atm.

P.S. the Bentaleb sub isn't really as shocking as you seem to find it. Sherwood knows him well and knows he can trust him.

"What the hell is a 'proper football man'? And as opposed to what? Was AVB not a 'proper football man'? No. In this context, 'a proper football man' is code for 'a thicko that we can understand and not someone who is too clever for us'; that's what it really means"

actually I think its someone who has actually played the game to a reasonable standard, and understands what it means to the players when they are asked to reach a certain level, or play a certain way.

My guess is that the comments reflect the industries distrust of non playing intellectuals, who actually have no real idea of how to communicate a physical requirement that they have never mastered themselves.

I teach (have taught) an awful lot of people how to perform in two separate and unrelated sports, and there is no better way of communicating a physical skill, other than by demonstrating it. If you can't even trap a football, how much respect are those players likely to have? Filling dumb footballers heads with tactical mumbo jumbo and then asking them to run around in the rarified atmosphere of the premiership, where everything happens at lightning speed is probably an exercise in futility at best, and a waste of oxygen at the least.

As much as I think many of us are secretly yearning for Hoddle to be 'the one' ...and actually be any good this time, and to become our re-Saviour... I think we all know in our heart-of-hearts it's not gonna happen... not that I don't think he'll get the job, part of me thinks he actually might... but as for being a success at it... it's really not gonna happen, is it?

I think this is actually fairly likely now. It seems Levy wants Van Gaal and he won't come until the summer. Sherwood has categorically said either you give me the job properly or I won't take it. And Hoddle is the only candidate that is willing to take the job until the summer to help the club out then hand it over to another guy.

I said it in another post a few days back - but could history repeat itself as the last time we played the scum in an FA Cup match was Glenn Hoddle's first match in charge of Spurs! No matter what you may think of Hoddle as a manager and how right he would be for us at the moment - nobody can deny how fucking great it would be to see Glenn lead out Spurs in front of 5 thousand yids at the Emirates.

Back
Top Bottom