Injuries. WHY?!?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Two very easy ways to address this is an 18 team first division and to get rid of the League cup, or better yet, make it for Football League teams only (not PL). That's a minimum of 5 less games a year and would allow a longer summer break as well as a proper winter break right after the New Year.

Divisions 2-4 should also only have 22 teams each.

Two very easy ways to address this is an 18 team first division and to get rid of the League cup, or better yet, make it for Football League teams only (not PL). That's a minimum of 5 less games a year and would allow a longer summer break as well as a proper winter break right after the New Year.

Or why not just exclude clubs in Europe from the League Cup?

The thing with that is right the way into the Championship the teams are fully rotated anyway, only when you get to 1/4 final stage is when you see other bigger players selected, even then the teams still show significant rotation.

I agree there are too many games in a season, when you factor in internationals too.
One a week is plenty, leagues and cup competitions should be configured accordingly.

Why are we (all clubs) having a 24-26 man squad but only using 15/18 most of the season, clubs are paying 6+ players to play 2 or 4 games a season, before we cut down on matches how about every player must play X matches a season unless injuried
just like little kids football you try to give everyone the same amount of pitch time, Then we will see how good the coaching and managers are (having to play the whole squad not just the best players)

We are very grateful for our league cups otherwise our trophy haul would look a lot worse. We have rightly scrapped the two legged stuff and the 3rd replay madness but to just get rid of the whole thing is wrong. A lot of lower league sides depend on the competition for revenue and hope to draw a big side. Some memories of the competition seeing as we are here....
First Wembley visit for me in 1971 when big Chiv destroyed Aston Villa late on. We were missing Mike England that day but Peter Collins was a more than able deputy. I was only young but our fans were deafening in our end and we easily had the majority of the 100,000 in attendance.
1972 saw us beaten on aggregate in the semis by some tiny club in Fulham who went on to lose to Stoke! Still remains the Potters only major trophy. 1973 is held up as the worst final but for me seeing us lift our 3rd trophy in 3 years was fantastic but always felt sorry for John Pratt who went off injured that day. The three replays against Middlesborough in the early rounds were a chore. A 0-0 midweek after extra time game being one of the lowlights and I remember leaving White Hart Lane that night with a feeling of dread that we had play them again! The Wolves semi final was played on a Saturday at WHL which was strange (someone can enlighten me I am sure). The 1982 final v Liverpool was one of the worst feelings ever. We should have beaten the fuckers and were leading til very late on, we hit the bastard post too which would have sealed it. I have despised Ronnie Whelan ever since. I would not have liked to have been a scouser outside the ground that day as our fans went mental after what was our first Wembley defeat.
The 1999 win ended a long trophy drought (sounds familiar) and I saw the great Billy Nick on Wembley way after the game and he stopped for a chat despite hundreds of pissed up Tottenham fans mobbing him!
Savage got punched whilst collecting his losers medal and Cottee was on the pitch sobbing as his last ever chance of a trophy was gone. Superb. Onto 2008...what can you say, one of the best feelings at a final whistle ever when we beat those vermin. Wouldn't have bet that it remains our last trophy some 12 years on.....

Why are we (all clubs) having a 24-26 man squad but only using 15/18 most of the season, clubs are paying 6+ players to play 2 or 4 games a season, before we cut down on matches how about every player must play X matches a season unless injuried
just like little kids football you try to give everyone the same amount of pitch time, Then we will see how good the coaching and managers are (having to play the whole squad not just the best players)
Not a bad idea at first but this plays into the hands of the big money teams, who would have 26 internationals v the lesser teams who would have teenagers make up the last few.

This would have the advantage of guaranteeing at least one fresh team into Europe each year.
There nearly always is anyway, it's the six big sides and then whoever wins a cup or is least bad in the league outside of them. Just double-checked back to 2007 and we've never had the same teams reach Europe two years in a row in that period.

Its a good idea but you will get clubs feigning injury so certain players can play more than others.

Ey1srzkWgAEPXx6

Do you remember when Jose was bemoaning his shitness on injuries to Kane and Son?

Anyway thought I'd drop this in as always an interesting snapshot. Jose forcing Davies to play through injury and biting him up as a man for doing so, what does it make of him for not being able to play as a direct result of doing so.

Ey1srzkWgAEPXx6

Do you remember when Jose was bemoaning his shitness on injuries to Kane and Son?

Anyway thought I'd drop this in as always an interesting snapshot. Jose forcing Davies to play through injury and biting him up as a man for doing so, what does it make of him for not being able to play as a direct result of doing so.
Makes him a pussy

Ey1srzkWgAEPXx6

Jose can't even use the injuries excuse.
Davies/Doherty aren't first choice so in reality he has his best squad available to him.

Back
Top Bottom